Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

My friend refuses to watch Spiderman

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

My friend refuses to watch Spiderman

Old 10-13-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Boycotts like these never make sense to me.
Old 10-13-04, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Spider-Man was also a regular on "The Electric Company." Remember that, true believers?
Vaguely, but I do remember that The Electric Company had the Alphabet people. Talk about a concept that is begging to be made into a movie...
Old 10-13-04, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by scott1598
how does he know what to boycott if he won't watch what he is boycotting?
believe me, I know... I've posed this question to him alot. We talked about this for like 5 hours until the sun came up - then he left and went home and I couldn't sleep so I called him to bitch at him some more about it. It's like, I can understand him having this position about any other comic book film, but Spidey was the truest and most faithful comic to film to date (with the possible exception of Superman)... as a fan, I believe he should feel compelled and obligated to check out spiderman in every form and medium whether he ends up liking it or not - the point being that he at least sees it so he can HAVE an opinion.
Old 10-13-04, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Numanoid
I'm having a really difficult time reconciling these two statements.
Glad you caught that - I knew the conflict as I typed it. However, superheroes typically wear tights in the comics and I wouldn't categorize all comic book fanatics as homosexual and I don't think you would either.
Old 10-13-04, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Comic legend John Byrne writes a column for me, and I believe he has refused to watch the Spider-Man movie. Of course, he has a more vested interest in the property than the average movie-goer or comic fan.
Old 10-14-04, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Morf
Tell your friend flat out that many things don't translate well from the comic book pages to the big screen. A Green Goblin in tights would have looked stupid. Killing off Spidey's love interest in movie one would have been lame. Et cetera.
Do you think it was also lame for them to kill off Elektra in Daredevil? I think it might have been. Everybody I know who saw it always point to that first when talking about the things they didn't like about the movie. Maybe these dramatic death scenes are better in comics, when they can be built up over several issues rather than several minutes, and have more of an emotional impact in comics.
Old 10-14-04, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BJacks
Comic legend John Byrne writes a column for me, and I believe he has refused to watch the Spider-Man movie. Of course, he has a more vested interest in the property than the average movie-goer or comic fan.
Byrne is a washed up bitter old man, disgruntled because Marvel fired him from the Hulk and also because his Spider Man Chapter One series did a nose dive into the sea while Ultimate Spider Man soared high into the clouds. His opinion should be the last one we consider.
Old 10-14-04, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I wasn't too fond on the first Spider-Man, but I loved the second.
Old 10-14-04, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was lukewarm on the first, but the second film was awesome. I think he needs to see the second film... trouble is, he should see the first film first. He's a stubborn bastard.
Old 10-14-04, 03:12 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
sorry mate, but let your mate do what he fucking wants, it's his life
Old 10-14-04, 03:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He said "I'd rather take a bath with a dude than watch the Spiderman movie"
Well, there is only one thing to do. Bring out the bubble bath.
Old 10-14-04, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Original Desmond
sorry mate, but let your mate do what he fucking wants, it's his life
no. and don't tell me what to do.

Old 10-14-04, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ClownFace666
Well, there is only one thing to do. Bring out the bubble bath.
Problem is - I don't want to take a bath with a dude... so unless you're offering your services to help convince him to see this film (which means you're packing your shower cap and rubber duckie and heading to phoenix), I think we're gonna need another solution.
Old 10-14-04, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 616 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
Oh yeah... well, what the fuck then? I can't remember EC. I'm only 30, I'm not 55 like you, hippie.
Man, I can't believe you don't remember The Electric Company. I'm 31 and it was a mainstay. Only the cool kids watched EC. Guess you were too busy watching Mr. Rogers instead.
Old 10-14-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by FantasticVSDoom
Vaguely, but I do remember that The Electric Company had the Alphabet people. Talk about a concept that is begging to be made into a movie...
No, no, no. Those were the Letter People and they had their own show.

Come and meet the Letter People
Come and visit in the family
Words are made of Letter People
A, B, C, D, Follow me

Anyways, I think your friend is missing out. One of my friends was the same way, he even had a near-mint copy of Amazing Fantasy #15. He gave up and watched it...and loved it.

Edited to include topic relevant to thread
Old 10-14-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can see where your friend is coming from. I'm a big fan of the novel The Last of the Mohicans, and everytime I try to watch Mann's version I become outrageously frustrated. I have yet to finish it.

It's a shame about your friend, though, because both Spider-Man flicks are great fun.
Old 10-14-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Problem is - I don't want to take a bath with a dude... so unless you're offering your services to help convince him to see this film (which means you're packing your shower cap and rubber duckie and heading to phoenix), I think we're gonna need another solution.
hire a male stripper. Have the guy come in with a Spiderman DVD, say he's got two choices.

birrman54
Old 10-14-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
He said "I'd rather take a bath with a dude than watch the Spiderman movie"
What, does he have something against baths too?
Old 10-14-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by brianluvdvd
Man, I can't believe you don't remember The Electric Company. I'm 31 and it was a mainstay. Only the cool kids watched EC. Guess you were too busy watching Mr. Rogers instead.
Well, I know I used to watch it - I just don't remember it or I blended it with 321 contact apparently. I fucking hated Mr. Rogers - he gave me this fried sugar banana recipe that I made my mom cook up for me and it tasted like shit so I didn't want to eat it and my mom got pissed off and tied me to the kitchen chair with dishtowels and tried to force me to eat it, but I still wouldn't so she hit me in the face and shit... it sucked. Yeah, fuck Mr. Rogers.
Old 10-14-04, 03:20 PM
Suspended

Yeah, fuck Mr. Rogers.
Old 10-14-04, 04:26 PM

Talking bad about Mr. Rogers?

Thats like a sin dude. lol.

Wow. Your mom tied you to the chair because you refused to eat her sugared banana? Not cool dude.

I really hope you were joking. Sounds like you were, but I have seen people before say crazy stuff like this and they were serious.

Maybe your friend would like a sugared banana. lol...
Old 10-14-04, 04:55 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its Hollywood, what can you do. I thought they did do a good job.
Old 10-14-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,116 Likes on 1,452 Posts
Originally posted by brianluvdvd
Man, I can't believe you don't remember The Electric Company. I'm 31 and it was a mainstay. Only the cool kids watched EC

I couldn't stand The Electric Company when I was a kid. The only reason I watched it was to see Spidey, and that wasn't so great because it bugged me that he never talked.

This cool kid was watching Bugs Bunny cartoons, Superfriends, and old Godzilla movies instead.
Old 10-14-04, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Friends are weird sometimes. I've got a friend who refused to play the multiplayer mode on Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles with me because he said he'd never played a Final Fantasy game before. I told him that all the Final Fantasy games were unrelated and that Crystal Chronicles was ever more unrelated than most, but he said if he played it then he wouldn't be able to say he'd never played a Final Fantasy game anymore. Yeah, good luck getting the ladies with that line.
Old 10-14-04, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ClownFace666
Wow. Your mom tied you to the chair because you refused to eat her sugared banana? Not cool dude.

I really hope you were joking. Sounds like you were, but I have seen people before say crazy stuff like this and they were serious.
sadly, it's all true.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.