Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-13-04, 02:05 AM   #1

The Incredibles mini review

I just saw a preview screening of The Incredibles and though I am a huge fan of Pixar, I have to say this is their weakest effort. That having been said, it is still a solid movie - I'd give it a B or 3 stars out of 4. The voice work is excellent - I'm not a Shrek fan, but I do like the voice work on those films. But this film is much better - Samuel L. Jackson is great, and I wish he had a larger role. The ways that the 4 main characters (the Incredible family) use their powers is very interesting, and I especially liked a scene in which Mrs. Elastic is stuck between 3 different doors.

My main problems with the film are (a) unlike most pixar films the film is not completely original, though the animation is amazing I do feel that I have seen most of this before in some form or the other. And (b) I feel Pixar made an error in making a film that is primarily concerned with humans. The beauty and magic of Monsters Inc., Toy Story, Finding Nemo, and A Bug's Life are that they show us worlds we feel we have never seen before. The Incredibles takes place in our world, which though fascinating at points lacks the magic of their past films.

But, as usual, Pixar does give us their usual brand of wonderful humor - including jokes about villian monologues and some funny jokes about family dynamics. Also, the character of Edna (the costume designer voiced by director and writer Brad Bird) is a great character that truly steals her scenes.

My overall Pixar rankings::

Toy Story 2 -A+
Monsters Inc. - A-
A Bug's Life - A-
Finding Nemo - B+
Toy Story - B
The Incredibles - B

Brad Bird's The Iron Giant - A

Last edited by vasb; 10-13-04 at 02:07 AM.
Old 10-13-04, 02:19 AM   #2
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One reason Pixar probably went with a film in "our world" is because they don't like to rehash things until they get stale. They really avoid it. That's why they didn't do Randy Newman or the "Bloopers" over the credits for Nemo. Just food for thought
Old 10-13-04, 09:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally posted by BizRodian
One reason Pixar probably went with a film in "our world" is because they don't like to rehash things until they get stale. They really avoid it. That's why they didn't do Randy Newman or the "Bloopers" over the credits for Nemo. Just food for thought
True, but there are plenty of other "worlds" that Pixar could explore before resorting to making a movie featuring mainly human characters. For example, they showed a trailer for Pixar's next film - Cars - before the movie. It features a group of race cars that look like those annoying talking cars from the Chevron ads.

Oh, and the short before the Incredibles is unfortunately very bad - their worst yet. It features a dancing sheep that loses his self confidence when he is sheared. I wanted to throttle the rhyming narrator by the time the short was over.
Old 10-13-04, 09:32 PM   #4
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I love the posters