Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

'Cape Fear' (original and remake) questions

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-04, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the 2fer was released on Tuesday..

I saw the DeNiro one first (haven't seen it for awhile), and I thought it was pretty damn good. This movie gets NO respect from the "critics" who praise the hell out of the original.

I then watched the original (in highschool on videotape) and was totally unimpressed (then again, at that time I paid money to watch 'Bordelo Of Blood' and 'Stargate' in the theatre).

Do you ppl think the Scorsese remake sucks? I thought it was really good, very intense. What about the original? I love Mitchum in 'Night Of The Hunter', maybe I'll give it another chance.
Old 10-07-04, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't think it got NO respect from critics, it scored an 81% according to Rottentomatoes.com. I like the original and I like the remake. They are different movies for sure, the only thing that binds them are the stories. I think in both you tend to root more for the bad guy than the good guy, because Mitchum and DeNiro did such great jobs.
Old 10-07-04, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I prefer the remake to the original, but I much prefer Mitchum's badass redneck to DeNiro's super psycho.
Old 10-07-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
I seem to recall Scorsese's Cape Fear getting really good reviews.

I think I preferr the original by a slight margin. Both movies, in my opinion, have very clumsily handled endings.

Spoiler:
It annoyed me that Caddy is swallowed by the surf in the 1990 Cape Fear. I thought that he should have made a firm decision to either kill him or respect the legal system. Having Caddy drown made it seem like an act of God.
Old 10-07-04, 12:01 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Both are good movies. The only real criticism I've heard of Scorcese's version is that DeNiro's portrayal of the character was turned into a monster, where Mitchum's character was, like Gerry P. said, a bent redneck.
Old 10-07-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I totally appreciate both versions, but in actuality, the Scorsese version provides a logical reason for the wacko's behavior - the Nolte character's earlier actions are what motivate the revenge, but the Peck character in the earlier version is really simply a victim of a psycho.
Old 10-07-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by marty888
I totally appreciate both versions, but in actuality, the Scorsese version provides a logical reason for the wacko's behavior - the Nolte character's earlier actions are what motivate the revenge, but the Peck character in the earlier version is really simply a victim of a psycho.
The motivation was revenge for sending him to jail. Peck was the prosecutor in the trial.
Old 10-07-04, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by chente
The motivation was revenge for sending him to jail. Peck was the prosecutor in the trial.
Yes, but not every criminal goes wacko and seeks revenge on the prosecutor. As I recall, Peck was an honest prosecutor, but in the remake, the Nolte character had supressed some information or done something quite illegal to get DeNiro put away.
Old 10-11-06, 09:54 PM

Cape Fear "hole"

Original's the best. Hands down. But tonight, after watching it MANY times over the years, I see something in the end that I can't reconcile. Somebody help me. How does Sam Bowden capture Cady, alone, with a gun, and Cady would rather be killed than go to prison. I've never thought of this before. What am I missing?
Old 10-12-06, 11:44 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
I don't understand the question.
Old 10-12-06, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Love the original... Couldn't give two shits about the remake.