Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

I [heart] Huckabees

Old 10-05-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I [heart] Huckabees

When's this fuckin' thing going wider? - none of the ads will say.

Anywho, I loved Flirting With Disaster and Three Kings - didn't much care for Spanking The Monkey - but that was a long time ago.

There's already been enough good reviews from people I trust, and most importantly, a good friend saw a sneak a month ago and won't shut up about it.

So when the hell am I gonna be able to see this?
Old 10-05-04, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I think I already made my thoughts on this film clear in the other thread. But it will go wider slowly.

Better thread title " I <3 huckabees"

My guess is that it will get a split reaction. Felt the film was either a love it or hate it. You are in the O.C. why not drive up to one of the many Los Angeles theaters?
Old 10-05-04, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is it not wide this Friday? Little Rock, Arkansas is getting it for crying out loud...
Old 10-06-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
You are in the O.C. why not drive up to one of the many Los Angeles theaters?
Not only is the dirve a pain in the ass, it takes way too long and I'm way too busy to bother with it for any movie (I only drive to LA to see friends, and for certain concerts). Not to mention, most LA theaters are old and uncomfortable.

So it's wide this weekend (10/08)?
Old 10-06-04, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Not to mention, most LA theaters are old and uncomfortable.
the arclight would like to speak to you.
Old 10-06-04, 10:21 PM

Oh man, I have tickets for a free screening of I Heart Huckabees tomorrow night. I'm totally psyched.
Old 10-06-04, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

T, too, look forward to IHuckabees. The trailer's... odd, but addictive. Last night I spent a considerable amount of time trying to find a downloadable high-quality version of the trailer... I love the silliness, the music...

I'm told the film isn't much like the trailer - in fact, that there's tons upon tons of cursing and there's tons of disturbing images - but hey. that's okay. I enjoyed Chris Morris' jam.
... sort of.
Old 10-06-04, 11:42 PM

I believe I read that it goes wide a week from Friday (15th).
Old 10-07-04, 02:27 PM
Banned

looks ok
Old 10-08-04, 03:23 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's going wide slowly because it will be a hard sell. OTOH philosophical (read "talky") slapstick comedies don't come your way everyday. I loved it.
Old 10-08-04, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jason Schwartzman's character looks pretty funny. He stole the show in Slackers (not hard to do), but anyway, I'll definately see this one.
Old 10-11-04, 02:07 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Saw it on Saturday - I thought it was well written, except that the subject kind of wore on me, if that makes any sense. Good acting, a couple of editing problems.

So, overall, I thought it was average - it had the potential to be so much more.
Old 10-11-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I thought it had a lot of potential, but it just fell short really. I suppose I'm thinking somewhat the same as you MrN. The subject matter never seemed to get past using hot buzz words that could make them sound smart or witty and never got to the actual meat and bones of the whole reason the movie was around.

eh.
Old 10-11-04, 06:49 PM

I absolutely loved it, and any nitpicking I have with the movie would be just that. I'm hoping it goes wider so more people can see it, but regardless, I'll be buying the DVD.
Old 10-11-04, 10:54 PM

Did anyone watch the weird informercial type show on IFC?
Old 10-20-04, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw last night... I just didn;t get it... The acting was good, but I sat there just kind of scratching my head most of the time
Old 10-20-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

well, atlest I'm not alone.
Old 10-21-04, 09:34 AM

I personally couldn't stand this film, everyone is saying the acting is great, blah, blah, blah... no it isn't. The dialogue and plot was so self righteous and grating. With all the critics praising this film, "Garden State" and "Napolean Dynamite" as being the best US indie films of the year - uh, I beg to differ.
Old 10-21-04, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by alessandro
Did anyone watch the weird informercial type show on IFC?
I went to a screening at the Television Academy of Arts and Sciences and David O. Russell gave me a copy of the infomercial. It is very odd, but I did find it interesting. I did love the movie though. Again, a little odd, but I found it immensely charming. Some people are going to absolutely hate it though (see some above posts).
Old 10-21-04, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by jrsl76
I went to a screening at the Television Academy of Arts and Sciences and David O. Russell gave me a copy of the infomercial. It is very odd, but I did find it interesting.
Thanks for responding, for a while there I thought I was the only one who saw it. I can't say if it has increased my curiosity about the film which I plan to see soon, but as you said, it was interesting.
Old 10-22-04, 09:38 PM

I loved the acting in it. Some mighty fine performances by everyone (I'm excited to see Alfie now, just because of Law) But did not understand it. I felt I was somewhat getting it when Schwartzman explained some bits at the end, but things were just too bizarre, too hard to follow
Old 10-23-04, 01:36 AM

I finally have a day off this sunday, so I'll be seeing it then.
Old 10-23-04, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I had a good time watching this film. The dinner scene with Steve's sponsor family almost killed me. The dialogue was entertaining, the physical humor, while sparse, hit the mark more times than not. The ideas between the "warring" factions produced some unintended side-effects for the unsuspecting disciples. The performances never grated on my nerves, which can happen with off-beat films.

Mark Wahlberg's character started out so off the wall, but by the end, he was probably the most honest character in terms of outlook, and won me over.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.
Old 10-24-04, 04:49 PM

Saw it yesterday and loved it! I need to take in another showing soon.
Old 10-24-04, 10:21 PM

I thought it was very funny, and clever which doesn't seem to happen too often. It also didn't take itself too seriously. Many funny moments, lines, non-sequitors, etc. Jude Law was amazing.

The scene with Richard Jenkins at dinner was worth the price of admission for me.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.