Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I finally saw "To Live and Die in L.A." --WOW!!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

I finally saw "To Live and Die in L.A." --WOW!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-16, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: I finally saw "To Live and Die in L.A." --WOW!!!

So, To Live and Die In L.A. is alleged to have been copying Miami Vice, right? Which is better?
Yeah, and Mann sued Friedkin for it, too. I think it's unfounded. The only thing that I could see that may have been influenced by it were the early publicity shots of Petersen looking "fly." Of course, in the film, he's not. Eric Masters is. Miami Vice always had more flash than balls but I have not watched that show in years, so can't name specifics. To Live and Die in L.A. is gritty as fuck.

Old 06-21-19, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I just saw this.
Man, I was really disappointed. I just didn't buy William Peterson as the cool, reckless secret service agent. Peterson always seems like a square to me. Someone with more intensity would have been a better choice for the role. Him saying "amigo" randomly just felt like some stereotypical 80s cop vernacular. It didn't seem like people would really talk like that.
John Pankow was cool but it seemed like he should have had more/better dialogue and scenes.

I was hoping to see more of 80s Los Angeles like as it's portrayed in The Terminator and American Gigolo but instead it was all the industrial, run down parts of the city. I read that was a stylistic choice of the director's. In fact, the 80s-ness was very understated outside of anything related to Rick Masters (clothing, car, homes). The soundtrack or score was kind of cheesy and I would have preferred something grittier and serious. Giorgio Moroder for example.

The film dragged but once we got the high speed chase, shit got exciting real quick. Now I see why Friedkin is so well-regarded for creating the car-chase in film. I got nervous watching things unfold. When more and more guys started popping up, chasing the two agents, bringing out uzis...I was thinking what the hell have these guys gotten themselves into? It was intense and a great part of the film.

Willem Dafoe was a delight to watch as Rick Masters. He was definitely the best part of the film.

The film felt at first like a traditional, hard boiled cop getting revenge for the death of his old partner. Then BOOM! our "hero" gets a hole in his face. After reading reviews of the film, I guess we're supposed to see that Masters and Chance are very much alike. They jeopardize those around them for their own selfish reasons. Masters kills people who pose a threat to him or cross him. Chance blackmails people and gets people killed in his quest to get Masters, like the undercover agent. I don't feel like the film conveyed that well enough.
Old 06-21-19, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

^Did you see the alternate ending?
Old 06-21-19, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
^Did you see the alternate ending?
I'm watching that one right now. It's silly. How do you get an FBI agent killed and you only get relocated?

I thought the alternate ending was supposed to be Pankow's character getting shot. That would have been good too.

On paper, I like the cool, reckless, talking shit hero getting his comeuppance in the end. He wasn't a good guy at all, and his relationship with his snitch was some #metoo shit. Chance getting a shotgun to the face is very subversive to audience expectations. The cool action hero cop that breaks rules to get shit done, all that shit catches up with him, and we realize, oh shit, he was a bad guy too and got what was coming to him. But again, if that's what Friedkin was going for, Peterson and the dialogue for his character didn't convey that well. The whole time it seemed like Peterson's character was trying to hard with his swagger.
Old 06-21-19, 07:44 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I just saw this.
Man, I was really disappointed. I just didn't buy William Peterson as the cool, reckless secret service agent. Peterson always seems like a square to me. Someone with more intensity would have been a better choice for the role. Him saying "amigo" randomly just felt like some stereotypical 80s cop vernacular. It didn't seem like people would really talk like that.
John Pankow was cool but it seemed like he should have had more/better dialogue and scenes.

I was hoping to see more of 80s Los Angeles like as it's portrayed in The Terminator and American Gigolo but instead it was all the industrial, run down parts of the city. I read that was a stylistic choice of the director's. In fact, the 80s-ness was very understated outside of anything related to Rick Masters (clothing, car, homes). The soundtrack or score was kind of cheesy and I would have preferred something grittier and serious. Giorgio Moroder for example.

The film dragged but once we got the high speed chase, shit got exciting real quick. Now I see why Friedkin is so well-regarded for creating the car-chase in film. I got nervous watching things unfold. When more and more guys started popping up, chasing the two agents, bringing out uzis...I was thinking what the hell have these guys gotten themselves into? It was intense and a great part of the film.

Willem Dafoe was a delight to watch as Rick Masters. He was definitely the best part of the film.

The film felt at first like a traditional, hard boiled cop getting revenge for the death of his old partner. Then BOOM! our "hero" gets a hole in his face. After reading reviews of the film, I guess we're supposed to see that Masters and Chance are very much alike. They jeopardize those around them for their own selfish reasons. Masters kills people who pose a threat to him or cross him. Chance blackmails people and gets people killed in his quest to get Masters, like the undercover agent. I don't feel like the film conveyed that well enough.
i agree. really wanted to like it, got the SE blu that recently came out. have yet to get to again, but remember not wowed first time and didn't buy Peterson. I really didn't like him as Will Graham either, but did like the first few seasons of CSI and some bit parts he did in movies once in awhile...
Old 06-23-19, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Good film but no ways in hell this movie is wow in all caps and three exclamation points worthy. I’ll give it one w in caps and just one exclamation; Wow!
Old 06-23-19, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

This is one of the best films of the 1980's. Fact.
Old 06-24-19, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

It's a solid movie and one of the best from Friedkin. I personally love the soundtrack by Wang Chung, and the opening music is great. It replays during the scene where Masters makes the counterfeit money and that scene for me is fantastic. Shot and edited so well. I was thinking just last week (after rewatching Shadow of the Vampire) that Willem Dafoe is without a doubt one of my favorite actors. He is always top notch.

Last edited by james2025a; 06-24-19 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-24-19, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

I was late to discover this movie too (sometime within the last 10 years) but I think it's amazing. A friend of mine and I argue about it a lot; he thinks there should be a more positive ending for Pankow's character rather than take over for Petersen's which seems to be the implication. But to me it's exactly what the title is saying: To live and die in LA. There's a vicious circle going on. You start out as a wide-eyed, honest cop, but the job taints you and eventually kills you. That's Chance from the beginning to the end of the movie, and it looks like Vukovich will go down that same road. And after he dies, someone else will do the exact same thing.

It really is a great piece of filmmaking from one of America's most underrated directors. Yes, he got acclaim for The French Connection and The Exorcist, but his film output is so much more than that, and he should have had way more box office smashes than he has.
Old 06-24-19, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

The Exorcist
The French Connection
Sorcerer
Cruising
To Live and Die in LA
Bug
Killer Joe
The Boys in the Band

Are all excellent films.

I also like Rampage, but that one is hit or miss with some people.
Old 06-24-19, 11:09 AM

I usually get Friedkin's output mixed up with John Frankenheimer's but both are underrated greats for sure.
Old 06-24-19, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Correct.

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
I usually get Friedkin's output mixed up with John Frankenheimer's but both are underrated greats for sure.
Same here.
Old 06-24-19, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I actually find Frankenheimers stuff generally rather poor. Ronin and the Fourth War being exceptions. I know that he was seen very much like a Ron Howard in the fact that he could play by the studio rules and get the job done in time and on budget. Just don't expect masterpieces.
Old 06-24-19, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

IMO Seconds, The Manchurian Candidate, Seven Days In May, The Train & Birdman Of Alcatraz are probably Frankenheimer's best.

I also like Black Sunday & 52 Pick-Up
Old 06-24-19, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
The Exorcist
The French Connection
Sorcerer
Cruising
To Live and Die in LA
Bug
Killer Joe
The Boys in the Band

Are all excellent films.

I also like Rampage, but that one is hit or miss with some people.
Of course, everyone thinks of The Exorcist when they think of Friedkin, and I agree that it’s great but IMO, Sorcerer is his best film. It completely blew me away when I saw it. To me, everything else is a distant second to those two.
Old 06-25-19, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,464 Likes on 931 Posts

I wonder if the people who think Peterson was miscast think that because their perception of Peterson is colored by CSI, which he did years later.
Old 06-25-19, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by james2025a
Just don't expect masterpieces.
“The Train” is a gigantic masterpiece (at least with me) but yeah, Friedkin’s got the better overall filmography for sure.
Old 06-25-19, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I wonder if the people who think Peterson was miscast think that because their perception of Peterson is colored by CSI, which he did years later.
I became aware of Peterson because of "To Live and Die" and "Manhunter" and thought of him as a darker, quirkier actor and was surprised when he started doing more generic roles later on
Old 06-25-19, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I knew of Petersen from Manhunter originally, then this movie, then CSI. I think it helped me appreciate him more in CSI and seeing it the other way around i might have had a harder time accepting him in those earlier roles. Its interesting watching the making of To Live and Die in LA where Friedkin and Petersen discuss the little tiff with Michael Mann about the movie and it was clear that both directors saw big things for the actor. I also like the story they tell of the scene where Chance runs through the airport and he jumps the rail to run along it to catch John Tuturros character. They fact they had been told specifically not to do it and Friedking told Petersen to do it anyway and pretend he had been told or understood. Thats what film making is about, catching the moments and some times breaking the rules to achieve the shot.
Old 06-25-19, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan

“The Train” is a gigantic masterpiece (at least with me) but yeah, Friedkin’s got the better overall filmography for sure.
Thanks. I looked up The Train, and it seems like a movie I'd enjoy. Added it to my Netflix queue (yes, I still get Blus and DVDs in the mail)
Old 06-25-19, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Originally Posted by d2cheer
Correct.
So is this film like in your guys' top 10/top 20 for 80s films? The film definitely has a lot of flavor to it, but I can think of 20 better films from that decade. I will however be checking out The French Connection and more of Friedkin's catalog.
A YouTube reviewer said that the director of Year of the Dragon and this one were 70s directors doing 80s films, and that's why the protagonists in both films aren't necessarily "heroes" but instead morally compromised people. I thought that was interesting and I like the shades of gray storytelling that results from that approach.

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I'm pretty sure I first saw Peterson in Manhunter when it was rereleased as a 2-disc DVD in 2001. I didn't think he was that great in that film either. Not bad, but the scene where he realizes something of the Toothfairy: "You son of a bitch! You were watching them, weren't you!" I thought the delivery was cheesy, and also the way Lekter supposedly got into his mind and he had to leave the jail facility to get some air or throw up...it just didn't seem like something that would make you question your sanity. The director and actor could have done a better job to show why profiling serial killers had taken a psychological toll on Graham. Overall though, Manhunter was more enjoyable than Red Dragon, save for the ending.

Originally Posted by james2025a
I also like the story they tell of the scene where Chance runs through the airport and he jumps the rail to run along it to catch John Tuturros character. They fact they had been told specifically not to do it and Friedking told Petersen to do it anyway and pretend he had been told or understood. Thats what film making is about, catching the moments and some times breaking the rules to achieve the shot.
What's so big about jumping the rail though?
Old 06-25-19, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brayzie

What's so big about jumping the rail though?
Dunno. Give it a shot next time you're at an airport, and report back to us.

Seriously though, it wasn't like a huge stunt, but it was a stunt nonetheless, and LAX would have probably wanted to have insurance approvals and all that crap, rather than Petersen just doing it the way they did.
Old 06-25-19, 01:35 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

They didn’t want the actor to do it. Probably due to liability or something. But it’s a case of “better to beg forgiveness later than ask permission prior” that makes a scene magic. You can’t always get what you want by being polite.

And that’s Frideken. He would slap actors and fire guns and all kinds of stuff to get a reaction. The making of the exorcist , every actor has a story of being slapped and then him saying “action!” And in the finished film you can see all of these appalled reactions, people shaking in fear.
Old 06-25-19, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse
They didn’t want the actor to do it. Probably due to liability or something. But it’s a case of “better to beg forgiveness later than ask permission prior” that makes a scene magic. You can’t always get what you want by being polite.

And that’s Frideken. He would slap actors and fire guns and all kinds of stuff to get a reaction. The making of the exorcist , every actor has a story of being slapped and then him saying “action!” And in the finished film you can see all of these appalled reactions, people shaking in fear.
So this guy was physically assaulting actors to get the the reaction he wanted? That’s fucked up.
Old 06-25-19, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Paff

Seriously though, it wasn't like a huge stunt, but it was a stunt nonetheless, and LAX would have probably wanted to have insurance approvals and all that crap, rather than Petersen just doing it the way they did.
Oh ok. I forgot that there’s so many regulations and rules involved so they’re not held liable, even for small things like that.

And some directors don’t give a fuck. Wasn’t there some movie where they rented a house for the film on the promise that it wouldn’t be damaged, and they ended up damaging it anyways?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.