Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Scariest movies of the past decade

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Scariest movies of the past decade

Old 09-19-04, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by scott shelton
SCREAM fucked the whole genre up.

There hasn't been a scary movie in the last decade.
Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel

Scream did not fuck the genre up. It fucked up the slasher genre up, but not the horror genre itself.
What Chmiel said (in regards to Scream, anyways.)

(Putting on flame suit now) What Scream did, what its' purpose actually was, was to destroy the formulaic slasher flicks that had been being produced since the late 70's. While the rest of the world evolved, US horror became centered around a 12" chef's knife or a meat cleaver. It became mired in itself and lack of originality. Not to say all US horror films were like this, nor that some good movies weren't made during this time. But the fact is, it was the golden age of the slasher flick and to get anything else done was nearly impossible.

Scream was a genius film that purposely wiped out the old school of horror and forced Hollywood to step it up and become more creative. This was done purposely, this was done precisely, and it was executed quite well by Wes Craven. It's probably the best movie he ever made.

As for the scariest movie, the only answer I can think of is unfortunately Blair Witch. Yeah, looking back on it now it's kind of a stupid film, but really only after you've seen it the first time and/or know the setup. I remember seeing this in the theater the first week of release when it still wasn't generally known it was entirely fiction, and it was the quietest crowd I've ever seen. People were engaged by it, scared by it, drawn into it. Unfortunately the gimmickiness of it is also what killed it and didn't give it any chance in hell for surviving. Once you found out the joke was on you, it was no longer scary. Although, anyone who doesn't get a chill during the last few frames of the guy standing in the corner of the basement is a serial killer

US horror has come a long way in the last 10 years, and while not all of it is good, much of it is on a higher level than it was 10 years ago. Here's where Chmiel and I digress (still wearing flame suit)

Dark Castle has made a very honest and very strong effort with its' yearly Halloween horror movie, and for the most part has been successfull (Gothika was stupid.) While maybe not scary (and honestly I haven't been scared by a movie for well over 20 years, so I couldn't really tell you what's scary and what's not.) they do make visually stunning movies that have genuine moments of creepiness. I haven't seen a horror movie (and very few 'mainstream' movies) that have half as much atmosphere. Their movies are a visual trick or treat.

There are good horror movies coming out of Europe and Asia, but not as good as people seem to believe. Ring was scary, it was original, but it was also as formulaic as most other Japanese movies. Watch enough and you can see the formula develop. I won't spell it out here, but most Japanese horror follows the exact same steps to get to the end, and once recognized most of the movies become as unsurprising as a US romantic comedy.

The most 'important' horror film to come out of Europe in recent history was 28 Days Later. Love or hate this movie, it was to zombie movies what Scream was to slasher flicks. No one but Romero completing his Dead series will ever be able to make a standard zombie movie again.

Unfortunately US horror seems to be stuck in buying up rights to foreign flicks and remaking them. Hopefully this will stop soon. Give me a dozen Dawn of the Dead or Texas Chainsaw remakes to a single remake of a Japanese movie any day of the week.
Old 09-20-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Ring (U.S.)

The Blair Witch Project

Scream 1 & 2 (not particularly scary, but great satires)

I'm not at all impressed with what the British have put out. Didn't think much of 28 days later or dog soldiers. Shaun of the dead is a comedy, not a horror film, so i'm not even sure why it's mentioned in this thread. Asia is definitely where the genre is at right now, but I have to agree that some kinda copy & paste upon each other.

Haven't seen DotD remake but looking forward to it, even though I think the original is crap
Old 09-20-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Another vote for The Blair Witch Project. The ONLY horror movie that I've seen in a theater that really unnerved me.
Old 09-20-04, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like the atmospheric spookiness rather than "boo" scares or in your face grisly gore.

I give Session 9 another vote.
The Eye as a whole didn't scare me much but one scene did scare the crap outta me (and it WAS a boo scare, you know which one if you've seen it). Pretty good movie.
I like Blair Witch only if viewed with the "documentary" on the DVD, it gives it more of a realistic spin.
The Ring (US) had good creepiness but it scared my wife more than me. I prefer the end of Ringu, filmed much more creepily.
Haute Tension didn't scare me but it kept me on edge.
Old 09-20-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dark Water scared the crap out of me.
Old 09-20-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

session 9
Old 09-20-04, 05:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts
"Dawn of the Dead" (04)...i just loved it!
Old 09-20-04, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Ring (US) had good creepiness but it scared my wife more than me. I prefer the end of Ringu, filmed much more creepily.
The end of Ringu just proves why the Japanese version is superior to the American remake.

Spoiler:
The ending to Ringu is down right mean spirited and eerie due to the impact of what is going to happen and to who (the father/grandfather), whereas the ending to The Ring is trying to imitate it (but just nowhere near as good mostly due to all the dramatic impact is missing).
Old 09-21-04, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only modern horror film that has scared me so far has been Clive Barkers Lord of Illusions. Terrific underrated frightfest that many seem to overlook today..as evidenced with not once being mentioned in any of the posts so far!

I have seen some good horror films since then,but nothing truely frightening..expect for Event Horizon which was an amazing experiance. The only good film Paul Anderson has made.

The Dawn of the Dead remake was actually one of the best modern studio U.S. horror films in years. The content and tone was bleak,disturbing,unrelenting,hopeless mean,gritty and just gleefully anarchic.

I was really surprised by it. You would have thought they would have lightened the material up too much and play it as safe as can be. But nope,instead they went for the jugular and made a real horror film for a change. No happy ending,no crappy attempt at selling a generic soundtrack...and no forced humor. It has dark humor scattered throughout the film,but it never diminshes the seriousness of the situation..and makes things more unsettling. Just imagine yourselves in that situation!

A great film in my opnion and I am dieing to see the uncensored version!

So those are the big three modern horror films that were scary in some way and also fun to watch.
Old 09-21-04, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i can agree with...

Blair Witch, The Ring , and Event Horizen. All three of those still freak me out a little.
I own Session 9, but i haven't had a chance to watch it. I figure i will watch it around Halloween, and then report back.
Old 09-21-04, 01:18 PM

The only films from the last decade I can remember being actually scary enough to make me remember them as such are Audition and A Tale of Two Sisters.
Old 09-21-04, 01:26 PM

another vote for session 9

and not necessarily a horror film, but psychologically scary donnie darko
Old 09-21-04, 01:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by Njål
... and A Tale of Two Sisters.
ah christ! the 5.1 soundmix on the DVD is a throat grabber, the sound attacks you from both the front and the back. An excellent movie BTW.

Last edited by Giles; 09-21-04 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-21-04, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by renaldow
What Chmiel said (in regards to Scream, anyways.)

(Putting on flame suit now) What Scream did, what its' purpose actually was, was to destroy the formulaic slasher flicks that had been being produced since the late 70's. While the rest of the world evolved, US horror became centered around a 12" chef's knife or a meat cleaver. It became mired in itself and lack of originality. Not to say all US horror films were like this, nor that some good movies weren't made during this time. But the fact is, it was the golden age of the slasher flick and to get anything else done was nearly impossible.

Scream was a genius film that purposely wiped out the old school of horror and forced Hollywood to step it up and become more creative. This was done purposely, this was done precisely, and it was executed quite well by Wes Craven. It's probably the best movie he ever made.

As for the scariest movie, the only answer I can think of is unfortunately Blair Witch. Yeah, looking back on it now it's kind of a stupid film, but really only after you've seen it the first time and/or know the setup. I remember seeing this in the theater the first week of release when it still wasn't generally known it was entirely fiction, and it was the quietest crowd I've ever seen. People were engaged by it, scared by it, drawn into it. Unfortunately the gimmickiness of it is also what killed it and didn't give it any chance in hell for surviving. Once you found out the joke was on you, it was no longer scary. Although, anyone who doesn't get a chill during the last few frames of the guy standing in the corner of the basement is a serial killer

US horror has come a long way in the last 10 years, and while not all of it is good, much of it is on a higher level than it was 10 years ago. Here's where Chmiel and I digress (still wearing flame suit)

Dark Castle has made a very honest and very strong effort with its' yearly Halloween horror movie, and for the most part has been successfull (Gothika was stupid.) While maybe not scary (and honestly I haven't been scared by a movie for well over 20 years, so I couldn't really tell you what's scary and what's not.) they do make visually stunning movies that have genuine moments of creepiness. I haven't seen a horror movie (and very few 'mainstream' movies) that have half as much atmosphere. Their movies are a visual trick or treat.

There are good horror movies coming out of Europe and Asia, but not as good as people seem to believe. Ring was scary, it was original, but it was also as formulaic as most other Japanese movies. Watch enough and you can see the formula develop. I won't spell it out here, but most Japanese horror follows the exact same steps to get to the end, and once recognized most of the movies become as unsurprising as a US romantic comedy.

The most 'important' horror film to come out of Europe in recent history was 28 Days Later. Love or hate this movie, it was to zombie movies what Scream was to slasher flicks. No one but Romero completing his Dead series will ever be able to make a standard zombie movie again.

Unfortunately US horror seems to be stuck in buying up rights to foreign flicks and remaking them. Hopefully this will stop soon. Give me a dozen Dawn of the Dead or Texas Chainsaw remakes to a single remake of a Japanese movie any day of the week.
yes, when a genre is wearing out, movies within it need to be self-aware and, at times mocking. Look at The Wild Bunch in regards to the western genre.
Old 09-21-04, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess The Ring. I thought the movie was a piece of shit, but they scared people effectively with shocking quick cuts to atrocities.