DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   So..where are the "Oscar" films? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/384388-so-where-oscar-films.html)

Frank TJ Mackey 09-09-04 01:03 AM

Look out for I Heart Huckabee's, Silver City and Sideways later this fall.

Fahrenheit 9/11 and The Passion will both get some nods, although not necessarily Best Picture.

Michael Moore's film will get nods simply because it was bold enough to rake a sitting president over the coals.

Colin Farrell was absolutely amazing in A Home At the End of the World, and he may get that nomination over Alexander.

Bryce Dallas Howard, let's face it. She is as close to a shoe-in as it can get. 1. Because she did a great job in her first feature. 2. Opie

Groucho 09-09-04 07:41 AM

Originally posted by RyoHazuki
If this happens, I'll buy ever dvdtalker a BMW.
Considering that Spanglish comes from James L. Brooks, and considering that a lot of his films so far have picked up Best Picture nods (3/4, including one Winner...Terms of Endearment), it's not that surprising of a prediction. The film does look like "Oscar Bait" to me from the previews, and I imagine most of us would be considering it a "shoe in" if it had a different lead actor.

matome 09-09-04 08:34 AM

Originally posted by RyoHazuki
If this happens, I'll buy ever dvdtalker a BMW.
I'll take a blue M3. Thank you! :)

Hiro11 09-09-04 09:27 AM

"Howl's Moving Castle" will be a shoe-in for animation.

Get Me Coffee 09-09-04 09:50 AM

C'mon Spider-Man 2!

raven56706 09-09-04 10:02 AM

I have been reading in some places and its all saying The Passion of Christ is a shoe in for Best Picture.

it was a risk and it outperformed the estimates..... a cinematic achievement

bsktballDude1 09-09-04 10:22 AM

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
Look out for I Heart Huckabee's, Silver City and Sideways later this fall.

Fahrenheit 9/11 and The Passion will both get some nods, although not necessarily Best Picture.

Michael Moore's film will get nods simply because it was bold enough to rake a sitting president over the coals.

Colin Farrell was absolutely amazing in A Home At the End of the World, and he may get that nomination over Alexander.

Bryce Dallas Howard, let's face it. She is as close to a shoe-in as it can get. 1. Because she did a great job in her first feature. 2. Opie

I agree with a lot of what you say, I'm really looking forward to I Heart Huckabees, Silver City, and Sideways looks to be a hilarious comedy from Alexander Paine.

I was another one who thought Bryce Dallas Howard was absolutely great in the film, and it would be nice to see her nominated.

flyboy 09-09-04 10:28 AM

It is still early but I would go with Passion to win Best Picture. I think the Academy is really going to suprise us just as they did last year with ROTK.

Groucho 09-09-04 10:31 AM

ROTK was a surprise? People were calling that one back in 2001!

Originally posted by raven56706
I have been reading in some places and its all saying The Passion of Christ is a shoe in for Best Picture.

it was a risk and it outperformed the estimates..... a cinematic achievement

Interesting analysis...certainly that was the criteria used to name Titanic Best Picture. Had it bombed, it wouldn't have even been nominated.

sundog 09-09-04 10:41 AM

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102603/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062083/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0184800/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0407092/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090494/

PopcornTreeCt 09-09-04 01:53 PM

Originally posted by sinister
Spider-Man 2 has a better chance than Alexander. just seeing colin in that outfit and hair dye makes me bust out in tears and laughter.
Kinda like this guy:

http://www.shell.linux.se/treggy88/L...tyfairddl2.jpg

bsktballDude1 09-09-04 07:24 PM

Nobody has mentioned yet, but I actually think the Robert Zemekis and Tom Hanks film The Polar Express has Best Picture potential. If reviews are strong and becomes a hit, and I think it has the possibility of being one of the more memorable pictures to come out this year.

kms_md 09-09-04 07:37 PM

it will be a shame that best original screenplay will probably pit two of the better movies against each other --"eternal sunshine .." and "garden state".

bsktballDude1 09-09-04 07:55 PM

Originally posted by kms_md
it will be a shame that best original screenplay will probably pit two of the better movies against each other --"eternal sunshine .." and "garden state".
I agree, I loved both of those movies. I think Original Screenplay is all Eternal Sunshine can hope for, and as for Garden State, I think it has an uphill battle of actually getting nominated. But the Academy does have a record of recognizing smaller films in the screenplay categories, so you never know.

nightmaster 09-09-04 08:51 PM

I'm not buying in the least the Passion Of The Christ won't be nominated. I'm actually going to be moderately suprised if it doesn't win a sackful of statues.

PopcornTreeCt 09-09-04 11:46 PM

I have no problem with Eternal Sunshine winning Best Original Screenplay as long as Natalie Portman wins for her performance in Garden State. :)

V-ism 09-10-04 03:44 AM

I also think Passion will get plenty of nominations. And Gibson with a good chance at getting best director.

And Hero didn't win Foreign Picture before because Miramax didn't have any screenings for it or supply any screening material (or so I'm told). So chances are it couldn't get any votes anyway.

Coral 09-10-04 07:22 AM

Antisemitism or other hate speach will NOT be tolerated
Funny how the constant French bashing in the "Other" forum is perfectly acceptable.

Anyways,

We'll see the majority of the Oscar nominations coming from films in November and December.

I agree that Aviator looks to be another Scorsese attempt at grabbing an Oscar. It's just so obvious - and GONY was a poor film, especially for Scorsese.

Hopefully The Motorcycle Diaries is a quality film (regardless of what the Academy thinks of it) - I'm seeing it at the Toronto Film Festival on Tuesday. Can't wait.

Get Me Coffee 09-10-04 01:33 PM

Originally posted by Coral
Funny how the constant French bashing in the "Other" forum is perfectly acceptable.
Lets poop on DVDtalk

http://www.cnnfn.com/2000/11/07/tech...ts/triumph.jpg

Calculon 09-11-04 12:22 AM

Isn't this the year Bill Murray's supposed to get his make-up-for-getting-shafted-last-year award?

Giles 09-11-04 12:28 AM

If "Garden State" wins for best screenplay, I'll eat my hat.

Defiant1 09-11-04 06:04 PM

Can Hero even be up for Best Picture? It was a nominee at the 2003 Academy Awards for Best Foreign Film and didn't win. The year Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was up for Best Picture, it won the Best Foreign Film award.

Anyone know if Hero can even be up for Best Picture?
Hero is not eligible for the Oscars this year. According to the official website:

3. Films nominated for the Best Foreign Language Film Award shall not be eligible for Academy Award consideration in any category in any subsequent awards year. Submitted films not selected as nominees are eligible for Academy Award consideration in other categories in the subsequent year, provided the film has its Los Angeles opening in that subsequent calendar year.
It's unfortunate (and apparently a rule change from the 1970s) as Hero will be the prettiest movie to never win the Cinematography Oscar.

badger1997 09-11-04 06:28 PM

Originally posted by Defiant1
Hero is not eligible for the Oscars this year. According to the official website:

It's unfortunate (and apparently a rule change from the 1970s) as Hero will be the prettiest movie to never win the Cinematography Oscar.

But, unless I am mistaken, Hero was not nominated last year. It wasn't amongst the final five nominated so I think it would fit under "submitted" last year and therefore would be eligible this year. Or am I understanding that wrong?

Iron_Giant 09-11-04 06:56 PM

Originally posted by Brak55
Kris Tapley over at www.oscarwatch.com, has updated his predictions pre-Toronto to the following:

Picture
The Aviator
Alexander
Ray
Spanglish
The Motorcycle Diaries

Note: Passion of the Christ is #6

Director
Martin Scorcese - The Aviator
Oliver Stone - Alexander
Mike Nichols - Closer
Taylor Hackford - Ray
Walter Salles - The Motorcycle Diaries

Actor
Jamie Foxx - Ray
Liam Neeson - Kinsey
Javiar Bardham - Out to Sea
Leonardo DeCaprio - The Aviator
Colin Ferrell - Alexander

Actress
Gwyneth Paltrow - Proof
Annette Benning - Being Julia
Imelda Staunton - Vera Drake
Audrey Tautou - A Very Long Engagement
Téa Leoni - Spanglish

Supporting Actor
Clive Owen - Closer
Anthony Hopkins - Proof (or Alexander)
Rodrigo de la Serna - The Motorcycle Diaries
Jim Carrey - Lemony Snickett
Val Kilmer - Alexander

Supporting Actress
Laura Linney - Kinsey
Cate Blanchett - The Aviator (or Life Aquatic)
Natalie Portman - Closer (or Garden State)
Cloris Leachman - Spanglish
Lauren Bacall - Birth

I know that some of these movies have not been shown yet, I have not seen or care to see any of these movies listed abouve as "Academy Award" films.

This year has been a down year in the movie business. I have gone to see many movies this year, but there have been only a few that I have enjoyed: Spiderman, Hero and Passion have been my favorites.

There is only 3 or 4 movies I want to see by the end of the year.

If the Academy Award show want great ratings this year, they should Nominate both Passion and F 911 for best picture. It would create alot of buzz and interest.

PopcornTreeCt 09-11-04 07:31 PM

Originally posted by Defiant1

Ehh, The Thin Red Line didn't win for Cinematography either.