DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Micheal vs George - most hated director? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/383283-micheal-vs-george-most-hated-director.html)

El-Kabong 09-01-04 04:15 PM

Micheal vs George - most hated director?

This came up in conversation over coffee the other day, so I thought I'd pose the question to you.

Micheal Moore: Fat, unshaven, lying slob. Hated by most conservatives.

George Lucas: Raper of childhoods and destroyers of franchises. Hated by most Children of the Eighties.

The rules: simple. Who has commited bigger crimes against humanity? Who embodies the anti-christ of film-making more? Who would 90 percent of the forum want to punch in the face the most?

(Mmmmm, Moore AND lucas bashing all in the same thread. Two great tastes that taste great together!)

fumanstan 09-01-04 04:18 PM

I dont really care about Lucas' changes to Star Wars, so Moore wins by default.

PixyJunket 09-01-04 04:24 PM

Originally posted by fumanstan
I dont really care about Lucas' changes to Star Wars, so Moore wins by default.
Ayup.

Jackskeleton 09-01-04 04:37 PM

God, two dead horses this forum can't stop beating.

I don't hate either. I've actually enjoyed Moores work since his early stuff and I loved TV Nation and Awful Truth. Just because I don't believe in peter pan doesn't mean I can't enjoy a film with peter pan in it. Much the same as moore. Just because I may not believe everything he says doesn't mean he makes crap.

as for lucas.. can he ever get a break?

Kal-El 09-01-04 04:53 PM

Like 'em both.

flyboy 09-01-04 05:02 PM

Re: Micheal vs George - most hated director?

Originally posted by El-Kabong
This came up in conversation over coffee the other day, so I thought I'd pose the question to you.

George Lucas: Raper of childhoods and destroyers of franchises. Hated by most Children of the Eighties.

The rules: simple. Who has commited bigger crimes against humanity? Who embodies the anti-christ of film-making more? Who would 90 percent of the forum want to punch in the face the most?

(Mmmmm, Moore AND lucas bashing all in the same thread. Two great tastes that taste great together!)

I think you mean children of the 70's not 80's....

MrN 09-01-04 05:02 PM

I thought this would be about Michael Bay vs. Lucas.

JasonF 09-01-04 05:05 PM

I thought this was going to be a thread about George Michael. :(

Tarantino 09-01-04 05:36 PM

Come on, this is the DVDTalk forums...where are the choices of Michael Bay and Paul W. Anderson?

You're slipping in your old age.

Philzilla 09-01-04 05:57 PM

Re: Micheal vs George - most hated director?

Originally posted by El-Kabong

isn't lucas fat and unshaven as well?

The Antipodean 09-01-04 06:16 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
God, two dead horses this forum can't stop beating.
:thumbsup: Get a life, people.

Doughboy 09-01-04 06:31 PM

Well, both of them have completely lost their minds. Michael Moore used to be an entertaining satirist before he became the unofficial spokesman for the Democratic Party(he's basically the Rush of the left these days).

And George Lucas used to be a great filmmaker and storyteller, until he became an insecure control freak. I actually liked Episode II quite a bit, but that's about the only good thing he's done in the last 15 years. TPM gets worse with every viewing, and the revisionist butchering being done to the Holy Trilogy in order to better match the prequels(shouldn't it be the other way around?) is a travesty to both film preservationists and fans of the original films.

I guess since Star Wars and Empire are among my favorite movies of all-time and Roger & Me and Canadian Bacon aren't, I'll go with George Lucas.

eXcentris 09-01-04 06:39 PM

Originally posted by MrN
I thought this would be about Michael Bay vs. Lucas.
Or Michael Moore vs George Bush :)

jaeufraser 09-01-04 06:45 PM

Well I did hear Moore was going to go back and reedit Roger & Me where he'll put in a CG thinner version of himself into the movie.

Unfortunatly, Roger will step on his tail also.

The Cow 09-01-04 07:47 PM

Wow, I can't see this turning out good..

Two threads with the most bitching up against each other.

*Sits back and waits for the flame wars...*

Kicker_of_Elves 09-01-04 08:03 PM

Where the hell is Paul W. Anderson?

Jackskeleton 09-01-04 08:08 PM

And here I thought this was about Micheal Mann. :p

Lara Means 09-01-04 08:14 PM

They're both equally bad.

Rivero 09-01-04 08:33 PM

Originally posted by Lara Means
They're both equally bad.
As filmmakers? Bullshit. Say what you will about Moore's politics and manipulation but his films are expertly made, tightly edited, hilarious when he goes for humor, infuriating, entertaining and often quite powerful. Just wish the tubby bitch would at least grasp for some kind of objectivity, and maybe try his hand at more non-documentary comedies in the future like Canadian Bacon.

As a filmmaker Lucas seems to have absolutely no concept of pace, acting, convincing dialogue or human emotion. The man should be developing video games not film projects and his constant pissing on film history and the fans who made him fat and rich in the first place is a disgrace.

George Lucas wins.

flyboy 09-01-04 10:31 PM

Originally posted by Rivero
As filmmakers? Bullshit. Say what you will about Moore's politics and manipulation but his films are expertly made, tightly edited, hilarious when he goes for humor, infuriating, entertaining and often quite powerful. Just wish the tubby bitch would at least grasp for some kind of objectivity, and maybe try his hand at more non-documentary comedies in the future like Canadian Bacon.

As a filmmaker Lucas seems to have absolutely no concept of pace, acting, convincing dialogue or human emotion. The man should be developing video games not film projects and his constant pissing on film history and the fans who made him fat and rich in the first place is a disgrace.

George Lucas wins.

Agree!!! :)

PopcornTreeCt 09-01-04 10:55 PM

Michael Moore easily, without question. Lucas still created the original trilogy. When I read the thread title I thought this was gonna be about Michael Bay. You can't compare a fictional director to a documentary filmmaker.

Matthew Chmiel 09-01-04 10:57 PM

You can't compare a fictional director to a documentary filmmaker.
Michael Moore has done more than documentaries (Canadian Bacon).

Rival11 09-01-04 11:05 PM

Gotta tell you all.........I grew up with the original Star Wars films and they had such an impact on my childhood..........man, good stuff.

And I will admit, I can't stand the new films (sorry but there's just no lasting appeal in those films) but hey everybody, if people found the same thing I did in the first EPISODES more power to them............to each their own but man......nothing beats them fisrt EPISODES ;)

Oh wait!!! About Michael Moore.................Um...........who gives a shit??????????

Rypro 525 09-02-04 12:05 AM

Originally posted by kicker_of_elves
Where the hell is Paul W. Anderson?
or in some peoples minds, QT and PTA for stealing images and such for their movies and calling them homages. :rolleyes:

Josh-da-man 09-02-04 01:06 AM

This thread should go well...