DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   What's the big deal with Videodrome?? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/383258-whats-big-deal-videodrome.html)

wordtoyamotha 09-01-04 02:19 PM

What's the big deal with Videodrome??

I've never heard of this movie before it was announced on dvd sites, what's the story?

The amount of threads I've seen on this lately reminds me of 'The great Reservoir Dogs Mr. Brown thread infestation' of last year.

Just curious.

nemein 09-01-04 02:24 PM

Probably a better question for the movie forum..

Abranut 09-01-04 02:34 PM

It's creepy and weird just like the rest of Cronenberg's movies. It's got some really intense/violent imagery and an interesting story.

I sort of recommend it, but not fully.

renaldow 09-01-04 03:31 PM

Get it and see for yourself. Hard to explain, but the movie evokes an emotional response (goor or bad) to everyone who sees it. I haven't seen it in years and am wondering how it's held up.

Cardiac161 09-01-04 06:33 PM

Still pretty powerful, creepy, grotesque. Just got the dvd and boy, is it a collector's edition!!!

Who else but David Cronenberg can think of stuff like:

Spoiler:
a vagina slit on your belly, inserting a organic videocassette inside the vaginal opening to program the person, a gun growing tentacles to attach to the arm, snuff tv shows

I swear Cronenberg must be the more celebral, methodic Canadian version of Takashi Miike.

Trigger 09-01-04 06:51 PM

Videodrome was one of my favorite movies in the 80s... however, I probably won't be picking up the new DVD.

cultshock 09-01-04 08:25 PM

I swear Cronenberg must be the more celebral, methodic Canadian version of Takashi Miike
I've never heard the two directors being compared before, but you kind of make a good point. :lol:

I love the film, but then again, I'm a Cronenberg fan.
Just got the Criterion DVD! Can't wait to revisit the film again, and check out all the extras. :banana:

Joe Molotov 09-01-04 10:51 PM

Re: What's the big deal with Videodrome??

Originally posted by wordtoyamotha
I've never heard of this movie before it was announced on dvd sites, what's the story?
Why not rent it and find out? That's usually the best way to figure what a movie's about. Especially in the case of this movie. It's hard enough to figure out what's going on even after you've watched it, much less having someone try to explain it to you.

cupon 09-02-04 03:43 AM

Re: Re: What's the big deal with Videodrome??

Originally posted by Joe Molotov
Why not rent it and find out? That's usually the best way to figure what a movie's about.
Just buy it and find out. If you end up loving it you'll hate yourself for wasting the rent money and not buying it outright.

wendersfan 09-02-04 09:34 AM

What's the deal? Well, it's a creepy, disturbing, well-acted and intelligent look at the corrosive effect media and technology have on modern life.

"Long live the new flesh!"

Joe Molotov 09-02-04 01:31 PM

Re: Re: Re: What's the big deal with Videodrome??

Originally posted by cupon
Just buy it and find out. If you end up loving it you'll hate yourself for wasting the rent money and not buying it outright.
Videodrome isn't really a movie I'd recommend on a blind buy. I've seen the movie, and I liked it, but even now I'm not sure if I really want to own it on DVD. It just doesn't have alot of rewatchability value for me.

Kerborus 09-13-04 11:59 PM

Great flick, I saw it for the 1st time last week and really enjoyed it. It was slightly less insane than 'Naked Lunch' but had that same disturbing feeling the whole time. Trippy sex, pulsating TV's, conspiracies, media brainwashing and a really sucky place to lose your pistol... Cronenberg's stock went way up for me after viewing this film.

iggystar 09-14-04 10:57 AM

Cronenberg messes with your mind, man!