Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Is your favorite actor also the person who you consider to be the best actor?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: ???
Yes
23.44%
No
76.56%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-04, 05:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And I guess the most obvious follow-up is what criteria do you use to make those decisions on?

I was thinking about it the other day while cataloging a new import order, that although I really like Jackie Chan movies (my fav actor since his movies are usually light hearted action w/ good choreography/stunts) I have to say the person I consider to be the best actor is Lau Ching Wan (based on the fact no matter if it's action/drama/comedy I think he can make the role believeable/entertaining).

I was just curious what other people thought...
Old 08-30-04, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My favorite actor is Cary Grant but I don't think he was the best actor.
Old 08-30-04, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I voted no.

When someone asks me my favorite "______", it is based off a very personal, subjective opinion that no amount of someone else saying contrary will change.

When someone asks me what is the best "_______", I normally make a more logical, objective assessment, and I can be persuaded.

So a favorite actor for me would be someone that I inevitably enjoy the movie, regardless of how good/bad it is (Mel Gibson, Brad Pitt, Kevin Spacey, Clint Eastwood, Tom Cruise, Will Smith, Joaquin Phoenix and Ben Affleck spring to mind when I thought of favorites, though I wouldn't go so far as to make any of them THE definitive favorite of mine).

With the possible exception of Spacey, however, I wouldn't even begin considering making an argument for any of them to be who I consider the "best" actor (and in reality, Spacey isn't who I would pick).
Old 08-30-04, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No
Old 08-30-04, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No. Not even close. LCW is the shit though.
Old 08-30-04, 07:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
In my case, yes, because my favorite two actors are Klaus Kinski and Toshiro Mifune. My criteria is how affected I get when I see their performances. Kinski was an acting demon and made a lot of bad movies but always gave fun performances. And when he was at the top of his game, he was incredible. Mifune almost always gave a good performance, if not a great one.
Old 08-30-04, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If there is anything I've learned at DVD Talk, it's that most here cannot seperate the term "favorite" from "best" & that I have VERY different criteria for defining "best" actor. For me what makes the "BEST" actor is #1, versatility, & #2 believability in their roles.

That said, my all-time FAVORITE actor is a Kurt Russell (with Harvey Keitel a close second)

And IMO the BEST actor that ever lived is Toshiro Mifune.

But the best actor alive is Robert De Niro. Despite having maybe as many if not more bombs then he does classic roles, the diversity of his roles & what he goes through for a part is unmatched by any actor alive. Taxi Driver IMO is the greatest piece of acting of all time.
Old 08-30-04, 07:40 PM
Banned by request

I should point out I think there is a difference between favorite and best, but I just happened to pick the best as my favorites.
Old 08-30-04, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Klaus. He's my favorite actor, Super.

Woah. This internet thing is kinda cool.
Old 08-30-04, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No, but Jack Nicholson is hella cool.

[rant]

And please. He does not play the same himself/the same character. The people who say this don't know him so how can they say that? I urge them to watch Prizzi's Honor, Hoffa, Five Easy Pieces, About Schmidt, Ironweed, The Passenger, and The King of Marvin Gardens.

He may not do accents (although he was pitch perfect in Prizzi's Honor), but that doesn't mean he is the same everytime.

If you really want someone who plays the same character (don't know him, so I won't say he plays himself) go to Tommy Lee Jones.

[/end rant]
Old 08-30-04, 07:53 PM
Banned by request

Originally posted by Debaser
Klaus. He's my favorite actor, Super.

Woah. This internet thing is kinda cool.
His performances in Aguirre, The Wrath of God and Woyzeck are just about the best I've ever seen.

As for Toshiro Mifune, there's a scene in Yojimbo where Mifune's character is sneaking away from some ruffians, and he's under floorboards. He's crawling towards the outside, when he hears people above him. He stops and just stares ahead, listening. That look on his face, when he's doing nothing but listening, should be taught to actors. It's perhaps the greatest single moment in all of film acting.
Old 08-30-04, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Agreed

He was quite fantastic in Five Easy Pieces and The King of Marvin Gardens.

Agreed x 2

Two of my all time favorite movies.
Old 08-30-04, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would have to say if I thought someone was the best actor, then they would be my favorite...I guess there is a difference, but I dont really see it. Of course all this is highly subjective so I guess everyone's view on this will be slightly different, which is what makes this site so darned fun...
Old 08-30-04, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by conscience
No, but Jack Nicholson is hella cool.

[rant]

And please. He does not play the same himself/the same character. The people who say this don't know him so how can they say that? I urge them to watch Prizzi's Honor, Hoffa, Five Easy Pieces, About Schmidt, Ironweed, The Passenger, and The King of Marvin Gardens.

He may not do accents (although he was pitch perfect in Prizzi's Honor), but that doesn't mean he is the same everytime.

If you really want someone who plays the same character (don't know him, so I won't say he plays himself) go to Tommy Lee Jones.

[/end rant]
I happen to think that he does tend to play himself in roles, HOWEVER that has neve been used as a negative by me, and I love all of his work

birrman54
Old 08-30-04, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

John Wayne & Errol Flynn are my favorite actors by a long-shot.

However, I do acknowledge their acting talents were of a limited scope when compared to many others.

I never really gave much thought to who I would name as "best" of all-time. However, I would say Choi Min-sik (Korean films Oldboy, Failan, Chihwaseon, Shiri, etc.) is the one I would consider the "best" right now.
Old 08-30-04, 09:14 PM
Banned

"I am the only free man on this train."
Old 08-30-04, 09:46 PM

In my opinion:

Best actor of the past: James Stewart
Best actor in the present: Jason Lee & Phillip Seymour Hoffman

Some day we will see Lee and Hoffman holding best actor statues. My opinions of course.
Old 08-30-04, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Birrman54
I happen to think that he does tend to play himself in roles, HOWEVER that has neve been used as a negative by me, and I love all of his work

birrman54

E-mail me so I can give you my number. Tell Jack to call me.
Old 08-30-04, 09:50 PM
Banned

Hoffman sure. Lee I'm not so sure about. I have yet to be overly impressed by any of his chops in a film.
Old 08-30-04, 09:55 PM

I think Lee is a good actor, but I also think he's a one-note actor. Just the same, I love the one-note he does know, and have enjoyed all the movies I've seen him in (Mumford, Almost Famous, Kevin S. movies).
Old 08-30-04, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by FantasticVSDoom
I would have to say if I thought someone was the best actor, then they would be my favorite...
Odd. I would say most people would think vice versa.

It is a pretty tough question, though.

But here is somewhat of an example that dumbs it down (for people like me )

I think Marlon Brando is the best actor of all time (based on what he did for modern acting), but Jack Nicholson is my favorite because he is (as I said before) hella cool.
Old 08-30-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Rivero
Lee I'm not so sure about. I have yet to be overly impressed by any of his chops in a film.

If he keeps doing craptacular films like Dreamcatcher...
Old 08-30-04, 10:05 PM

Lee has a gift for the monologue. He can go on, and on with intensity. He also steals every scene he is in from veteran actors like cruise and liota.

He has a great screen presence, and when the execs in hollywood realize acting is more than just a pretty face, Lee will get better roles. But for now he does very well with what he's offered.

I think he was most impressive with his bar speech in dogma, and his comic presence in mallrats and chasing amy is top notch.
Old 08-30-04, 10:13 PM
Banned

He's funny whenever he plays pissed-off onscreen, I'll give him that. I've enjoyed him most in Mumford and Almost Famous.
Old 08-30-04, 10:14 PM
Banned by request

A guy with the name of "Banky" saying Lee is one of the best actors ever? I wouldn't have believed it!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.