Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

X3 (X-Men 3) (Brett Ratner - Director) (merged)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

X3 (X-Men 3) (Brett Ratner - Director) (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-06, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Case in point King Kong. True, the extra stuff added character development, but it was for characters who never really played out in the long run.
Jimmy, Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!
Old 05-26-06, 04:57 PM

In case it hasn't been mentioned, stay until the end of the credits. You'll be glad you did.
Old 05-26-06, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by bsktballDude1
In case it hasn't been mentioned, stay until the end of the credits. You'll be glad you did.
Um... not necessarily.

Spoiler:
One of the VERY few impacting moments of the movie was the death of Prof.X - the tacked-on ending after the credits totally shits all over that
Old 05-26-06, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Ratner is scheduled to be on Jimmy Kimmel's show tonight.
Old 05-26-06, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slop101
Um... not necessarily.

Spoiler:
One of the VERY few impacting moments of the movie was the death of Prof.X - the tacked-on ending after the credits totally shits all over that

that death should have been to begin with anyways. Even with keeping his voice for potential future films, losing the face and how perfectly he would match is just beyond stupid.

there is no actor who was more deserving of their role than him. No need to piss that away.
Old 05-26-06, 11:32 PM
Banned

X-Men 3 Storm Poster (2 versions?)

Have you ever noticed that they changed the teaser poster for Halle Berry's X-Men 3 Storm?

Original:

New:

One she's looking at you, 2nd she's looking off into the air...I'm trying to find the original but everywhere you look they only have the new version...any idea why they changed it and maybe where the original can be found?
Old 05-27-06, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What happens after the credits?
Old 05-27-06, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The screen reads: "you actually paid money to see this. ha ha ha ha ha ha"

Actually...
Spoiler:
It shows a hospital room, and there's someone laying on the bed...it's Professor X. I can't remember her name, but he says hello to the nurse. I think she had a scene in the movie prior to this.
Old 05-27-06, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Actually... it's not written out on the cast posters... there simply wasn't enough room.

However.... after viewing the trailers, interviews, images and BTS stuff, I think most of us used our "common sense" to pretty much figure out who "dies" in the end.

Give it a try...

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Actually, the trailers pretty much did give the death away and it was pretty annoying. It wasn't that you were blinking... well maybe it was. But it's mainly because you weren't using your common sense.

Take a look at the trailer again, notice who's missing from the funeral scene. Look at the floating item in the air that should never be off that character...

Yeah, as for it being "rumor until you see it".. how about it being true once you've read the script.

Well, to tell you the truth they are handling the Phoenix angle completely wrong in the film also. So it doesn't turn out very well played.

OOPS.
Spoiler:
Looks like I told you so. How does all that inside information and rumors of deaths look now?
Old 05-27-06, 07:52 AM

It's like they are trying to copy the RENT posters ... because they worked so well for that flick ....
Old 05-27-06, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Actually X3 is under 100 minutes, which is it's biggest problem - there was absolutely no space for the characters to develop - whatever character motivation there was, was built on things from the previous films.

They really needed to add another 30 minutes of good character moments, which would have given the movie the wieght it sorely lacked.
My thought too . . . I thought the action and special effects were fun enough to make for an enjoyable popcorn flick, but it could have been a better movie had it been given a few more minutes (20+) to develop the characters and flesh out the plot a little more.
Old 05-27-06, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by kcbrett5
OOPS.
Spoiler:
Looks like I told you so. How does all that inside information and rumors of deaths look now?
Pretty much the same:

Spoiler:

Cyclops- Dead
Jean- Dead
Prof X- Mind alive; Original Body-gone.

Keep working on that common sense thing. You'll get it evetually.
Old 05-27-06, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by talemyn
I thought the action and special effects were fun enough to make for an enjoyable popcorn flick, but it could have been a better movie had it been given a few more minutes (20+) to develop the characters and flesh out the plot a little more.
That's what the Unrated "Director's Cut" Extended Special Adamantium Edition DVD is for.
Old 05-27-06, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
meh
kind of disappointed with it
Old 05-28-06, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Pretty much the same:

Spoiler:

Cyclops- Dead
Jean- Dead

thanks for saying it for me. I mean.. the common sense deaths from the trailers and the knowledge from floating around scripts before hand pointed at it.

Even the Funeral scene was basic logic to see who was there and who wasn't.

I guess there's no mutant power for common sense to pass around.
Old 05-28-06, 12:28 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Peep
I feel just the opposite. If a story can't be told in 90 minutes, then it's not worth telling. The thing that was so great about X3 was it took two different stories, crammed them together, and still got them to fit in 90 minutes. Saved me a second trip to the movies! Hopefully X4 will cram 5 or 6 stories together and only show us the fights from each!!
I don't know why people think there has to be a time limit to telling stories. Some of my favorite movies are long movies. Lawrence of Arabia, 2001: A Space Odyssey, the Lord of the Rings films.
Old 05-28-06, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I don't know why people think there has to be a time limit to telling stories. Some of my favorite movies are long movies. Lawrence of Arabia, 2001: A Space Odyssey, the Lord of the Rings films.
I completely agree. It seems to me that longer movies are longer because the directors, writers, etc. are taking the time to tell the story right (develop the characters, tie up the plot lines, etc.).

There are many movies that I've finished watching with a feeling of "if only they had taken a few more minutes to cover/develop ABC" . . . it's very rare that I leave one thinking "if only they had cut out XYZ".
Old 05-28-06, 06:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
To be fair, I have seen movies that would have been better if they cut out scenes. It all depends on the story.
Old 05-28-06, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
what I love is when the dvd comes out, and there are 4 deleted scenes for a total of 5 minutes and they say they were cut for time
like 5 minutes would have made people not see the movie
Old 05-28-06, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
It was alright, but nothing special - not as good as the first and nowhere close to the second installment in the franchise. It just felt like so much of it was rushed - it couild have easily gone on for another half-hour at the minimum. They gave a quite a few brief glimpses of some stuff I would have liked to see much more of.

**1/2 out of five.

Last edited by B.A.; 05-29-06 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-29-06, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Went in thinking it would be bad, left thinking it was pretty good. Lot's of areas that could have been better, but overall not a bad movie. I read the comics for about 7 years and can see how the comic book geeks could hate it but I am ok with the changes from the comic.

X2>X3>X1
Old 05-29-06, 12:37 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saw the movie yesterday and it was a let down. Why do they always focus so much on Logan?
Old 05-29-06, 04:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Saw the movie yesterday and it was a let down. Why do they always focus so much on Logan?
Because he's a kickass character, easily the best character in these films. He has the most interesting backstory, he's the most perfectly cast character(height aside), and he has the most depth of any character. For me, Jackman stole the show and deservedly so. Sure, I'd like to see more characters developed further. But that characters kicked so much as in these films, figuratively and literally.

That's my explanation why he was the focus. Whether that was the intent, who knows.

But the first two films are not great films, and they're certainly not a masterpiece. They were merely good, enjoyable films in my opinion, just like X3, only with better character development.

Last edited by Terrell; 05-29-06 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-30-06, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
thanks for saying it for me. I mean.. the common sense deaths from the trailers and the knowledge from floating around scripts before hand pointed at it.

Even the Funeral scene was basic logic to see who was there and who wasn't.

I guess there's no mutant power for common sense to pass around.

Except for the fact that you were wrong about both deaths I would completely agree with you.
Old 05-30-06, 09:24 AM

Pretty much the same:

Spoiler:

Cyclops- Dead
Jean- Dead

Spoiler:
HMMM. Mind alive means not dead. You all guaranteed he would be dead. This means you were wrong. How quickly you try and change your story.

There was no talk of Jean in our earlier discussion, it was only about cyclops and the lively professor. So leave that out of it.

And did you see cyclops die? I didn't. All I saw was a grave marker. But oops, we saw one of those for the good professor too didn't we. And since that one means nothing, I don't think I will believe the other one by itself.

Finally, its a comic book. Is anyone really ever dead? Somewhere out there will be a mutant who can revive others from the dead if they really want to bring a character back.

If "common sense" is what causes you to be so blind to the obvious truth, then I am glad you think I have none.

Bye.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.