Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Q about Passion of Christ

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-28-04, 02:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was told that if you are not a believer in Jesus Christ as the son of God, then don't bother with the film.

That it is a piece of work to strengthen one's faith, not to entertain. Is this right?
Old 08-28-04, 02:45 PM

I just checked and Rottentomatoes.com is not favorible of this film. I think I just made the decision to only rent this one.
Old 08-28-04, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd agree with that point. A solid background in the Bible may even be necessary to understand some of what's going on. There's not much in the movie to really make you care about this character who's being brutalized (aside from a few flashbacks which seem like they were thrown in as an afterthought). I think any real emotion a person would feel would come from their previous beliefs in this character, and what they perceive he is suffering/giving up for mankind. I tried to put everything as delicately as I could. I wasn't a fan.
Old 08-28-04, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I don't agree at all. Poeple who are into studying film or enjoying it as an artform would find a lot in it to admire. Maybe not story-wise, but technically it's one of the best looking films of the yr. Not to mention it's place in film history and the "controversy" would seem to be reason enough to check it out. You could certainly do a lot worse with your two hours.

Last edited by Artman; 08-28-04 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-28-04, 03:35 PM

Thanks for the feedback! Months ago I was sure that this was a must purchase. Not so for me as of recently.

The movie sure did well. What some marketing and a whole lot of controversy will do for a film.
Old 08-28-04, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Atleast give it a rent man.

Last edited by Artman; 08-28-04 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-28-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

No, being a Christian is not a prerequisite of viewing or appreciating the film at all. I, myself, am as much an atheist as they come and was thoroughly shaken by this film. It was a brilliant, shattering experience. Of course, it is pretty much a necessity that you know about the Passion, even if you don't believe in it.
Old 08-28-04, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
MrVette99,

That's typical of what a "true believer" would say to someone, so whoever said that to you...is wrong. I can officially say that anykind of person watching this movie will learn something--Christian or not.
Old 08-28-04, 04:22 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by DVD Polizei
MrVette99,

That's typical of what a "true believer" would say to someone, so whoever said that to you...is wrong.
By "true believer," do you mean Christian? If so, I don't understand why "true" Christian believers would want non-Christians to avoid the movie, considering that true Christians should want to spread the Gospel.

Moved to Movie Talk.
Old 08-28-04, 05:26 PM

As someone who is not religious, I rented it just to see what all the fuss was about. I didn't like it the story seemed underdeveloped or truncated, and it was a little too gory. Plus I don't like movies where they just seem like pity parties for the main characters. But at the same time I could see how religious people would like it maybe.
Old 08-28-04, 05:36 PM

I didn't care for it. All of the emotional impact has to be inserted by the viewer. I don't mean that as a "you must believe is Jesus to appreciate it" statement. I just didn't think it was a well made film. But ultimately you'll have to decide this since it was such a polarizing movie. I would say rent it and see for yourself.
Old 08-28-04, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am one who is not religious and in many ways am very critical of the church and organized religion in general. That said, the story of Jesus, as a story, is one of the greatest and most inspiring weather he is the son of God or a prophet or nothing at all but a guy. I think a lot of people aren't able to seperate the churh from the story (for good reason) and therefore are not able to become emotional involved with it (certainly not saying this is the only reason people don't like it).

My point is, I in no way think Jesus was the "son of God" and I though the Passion was one of the best, most moving films I have seen in a long time.
Old 08-28-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Q about Passion of Christ

Originally posted by MrVette99
I was told that if you are not a believer in Jesus Christ as the son of God, then don't bother with the film.

That it is a piece of work to strengthen one's faith, not to entertain. Is this right?
That's a silly comment. You can appriciate the film as a work of art and not be a believer.
Old 08-28-04, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm agnostic, but even while I thought the movie had many flaws, it still moved me. I defy anybody, Christian or not, to not be moved by what the main character goes through in this movie and the way he takes it. It made me think about a lot of things, and while it didn't change my religious perspective, it did change me in some way I can't even describe. It can be incredibly hard to stomach, even some it gave me pause, but I think it's definitely worth watching at least once if you can handle violence in your films.
Old 08-28-04, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,873 Posts
Kevin Smith on "Passion of the Christ":

I haven't seen it yet. Hope to finally watch it next week, because Film Comment asked me if I would review it. I wasn't really looking forward to it that much, because I was a big fan of "Last Temptation of Christ" -- for my money, it would be tough to make a better movie about Jesus than that. But Mel Gibson's made some really great, wonderful-looking movies, and I'll definitely go to this one with an open mind -- even though I'm more about loving Christ than beating him up. I mean, that's how I was raised: to love Jesus, not hit him.
Old 08-29-04, 04:40 AM

Smith may have only been half-serious about that last statement, but it's precisely the wrong way to think about this film. Yes, it's a brutally up-front film about torment, but the violence is presented candidly because the entire point of The Passion (and not just Gibson's film) is to stress the terrible injustice done to Jesus for simply stating his (I'm not capitalizing his name because I'm not a Christian) beliefs publicly.

When the film came out, many people made the mistake of thinking the film is trying to argue that Jesus' suffering is a central part of the Christian religion, when that's not the case at all. It is, however, important that the full nature of his pain is pointed out, since many people, especially Christians, instinctly want to blot that part out. Gibson's film encourages us to reflect on what Jesus tried to do as a teacher and how people responded, and how he was treated as a man. And for that, I applaud it.
Old 08-29-04, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by badger1997
I'm agnostic, but even while I thought the movie had many flaws, it still moved me. I defy anybody, Christian or not, to not be moved by what the main character goes through in this movie and the way he takes it. It made me think about a lot of things, and while it didn't change my religious perspective, it did change me in some way I can't even describe. It can be incredibly hard to stomach, even some it gave me pause, but I think it's definitely worth watching at least once if you can handle violence in your films.
I wasn't moved because the torture and execution were so unrealistically over the top the film failed to generate in me any sympathy I otherwise may have had for the main character. About half way through the floggings my emotions shut down. From that point on it never got any better and it was silly and worse, excrutiatingly boring to me.
Old 08-29-04, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
(I'm not capitalizing his name because I'm not a Christian)
I believe the rules of English grammar require pronouns in reference to God or Jesus to be capitalized. Athiests have to capitalize "His word," "He Who is called I Am" or "unto Him" so I think you just have to suck it up.
Old 08-29-04, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As an atheist I understood and thought it was a fine film (I couldn't say I enjoyed it, because it was not a film that could be "enjoyed"). I do think a basic understanding of the Christ mythos is needed to "get" it.
Old 08-29-04, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by evitagen
I believe the rules of English grammar require pronouns in reference to God or Jesus to be capitalized. Athiests have to capitalize "His word," "He Who is called I Am" or "unto Him" so I think you just have to suck it up.
I know the rules of grammar require proper spelling, e.g. "atheist."
Old 08-29-04, 03:17 PM

I don't believe in English grammer.
Old 08-29-04, 03:34 PM

I have no problem with that. Thanks for straightening that out. I don't want anyone here to think I'm a juvenile "angry at my father" rebel without a cause.
Old 08-29-04, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I believe the rules of English grammar require pronouns in reference to God or Jesus to be capitalized.
Given that the rules of English grammar were created largely by people who were Christian, I don't think it should be a requirement for non-believers to follow that rule. I know I don't.

But anyway, I just watched this film last night. Nice-looking film, but not all that entertaining (which I knew to expect going into it). It could have used a couple car chases and another breakdancing scene, but I like that they left it open for a sequel.
Old 08-29-04, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For my money, The Last Temptation of Christ is the only way to go. No tough-talking Judas, no sale!

Seriously, though, once was enough. Would be worth renting for a Gibson commentary--is there one on the DVD? I've been in the dark on the discs specs.

Thanks.

Cheers.

-the Jesus
Old 08-29-04, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 188 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally posted by MrVette99
I just checked and Rottentomatoes.com is not favorible of this film. I think I just made the decision to only rent this one.
Try to be a little more open minded about it.............I'm not saying you SHOULD buy it or anything, but if your intentions were to buy the film in the first place but then decided not to because of a goofy critic website (rotten tomatoes) well, that just doesn't make any sense. Go ahead and rent it then make up your own mind.

The only people who stop me from buying/renting/going to a theater are friends who know what I love and hate....If they are unsure of what I would think they tell me to see it no matter what.......do I listen to them all the time though? Hell no.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.