Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

my pulp fiction essay (long)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-25-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lets keep the personal attacks to none, and bash me all you want.
also, give me pointers to help it become better.

This movie is arguably the most influential movie of the 1990’s. When the movie came out, many people had not seen a movie like that before. While this wasn’t director Quentin Tarantino’s first movie, it is his most popular and most loved. The movie was different in that the story wasn’t told in chronological order. Other movies like Rashômon from director Akira Kurosawa have used the non linier time frame like “Pulp Fiction”, “Fiction” does it in a new way that has spawned several copycats. The story is told in three different stories that both stand on their own as three short movies, and also connects the movie together.

The main overall story deals with two hit men who have to bring a mysterious briefcase to their boss. The prologue deals with two people who decide to rob a resurant after they got tired of robbing liquor stores because of the people that work there were forgien. The second prologue deals the two main hit men who have to make a killing due to their bosses request. The first story deals with one of those hit men who must take his bosses wife out on a date. The second story deals with a boxer who after killing a man in the ring, must flee from Wallace (he is the boss) because he took his money, but can’t leave his father’s watch behind. (imdb.com plot summery) The final story comes back to where the second prologue left off. After making the hit, they accidently shoot on of their men in the head, forcing them to ditch the car. While at a restaurant then run into the two robbers from the opening prologue. The main theme of the movie is "Redemption is for everybody, and that we should take it when we are allowed." Many of the characters in the movie have a chance to redeem themselves, and those who don’t pay a price. (imdb.com, skye14125)

The main reason why I think this is my favorite movie of all time is because of the very hip dialogue in the movie. Instead of using dialogue that just tells the plot, Tarantino uses it to also tell things about the characters. One of the complaints from some people is that it does run in non linier order, and therefore confuses them. (dvdtalk.com) While this might happen on first viewings, on a second viewing, when people listen to the dialogue more carefully, the plot seems more clear and the order of the plot is also more clear. The other major complaint is the violence, and that it is either too much, or that it is tough to laugh at the violence. Many people laugh at it, because it is told with a very dark sense of humor. The two key examples that I have is the one scene where one of the hit men blows a guys head off accidently in a car. The other hit man vulgarly trashes him. I guess it could be his choice of words and the actor (Samuel L. Jackson) that made that scene funny. The other darkly funny scene, is where Jackson’s character interrogates one of the men that he is supposed to kill for a long time. While many people say that there is too much violence in the movie, I usually always disagree with them. First of all, about 90 percent of all of the violence in this movie is shown off screen and not show directly. Second of all, when dealing with violent movies, most have a lot higher of a body count, and more blood and gore then “Pulp Fiction” ever shows.

While some people didn’t like it because of the violence, or the drug use, or the almost non stop swearing, its hard to deny the cultural impact of this movie. After this came out, it seemed like every movie had to contain at least a few pop culture references, and do other things to rip the movie off. Thanks to this movie and research on the internet, I have been able to watch some of the movies that he pays homage to and really broaden my film taste.

Last edited by Rypro 525; 08-25-04 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-25-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
I thought this was a minute-long review assignment for a broadcasting course?
Old 08-25-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by William Fuld
I thought this was a minute-long review assignment for a broadcasting course?
i think they meant to not make it too too long
Old 08-25-04, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you really want criticism?

First: the word "movie" and its plural appears 9 times in 6 sentences in the first paragraph. Use pronouns, or even euphemisms like "film" or "work" (but keep those in check as well).
Old 08-25-04, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by sundog
Do you really want criticism?

First: the word "movie" and its plural appears 9 times in 6 sentences in the first paragraph. Use pronouns, or even euphemisms like "film" or "work" (but keep those in check as well).
the more critizism the better (i know there are spelliing errors, but i'll change those. also, if i screwed up on a plot point or something like that, tell me.
Old 08-25-04, 05:31 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Here's my criticism, and I'll be brutally honest.

It's a rather dry read. Sentence structure is consistently subject-verb, subject-verb, subject verb, especially in the second paragraph. Try to break it up like: "The first story deals with......In the second story, blah-blah-blah happens....But the movie comes full-circle when in the third story blah-blah happens...

Also, there are many typos here. For instance, it's not "linier."

And there's no concrete conclusion. The essay just comes to an abrupt end.....Try to at least use the final sentence to sum up what Pulp Fiction means to you and, in turn, to the wonderful world of cinema.

I know this probably isn't for an English class, but still. Sorry to be so harsh, but hey you asked for criticism.

Last edited by jeffkjoe; 08-25-04 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-25-04, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
You say it's the most influential movie of the 1990s, but you never really back that up ("always back your thesis" I recall). What were the influences? What effect did it have on the film landscape?

Also at the end you say the movie has several themes. What were they? What values does the film promote?
Old 08-25-04, 06:03 PM

Re: my pulp fiction essay (long)

Well, back to the first paragraph:

This movie is arguably the most influential movie of the 1990’s.
Like I said, lose one of the "movie"s. You're writing about Pulp Fiction, open your essay with the name of the movie:

Pulp Fiction is arguably the most influential movie of the '90s

When the movie came out, many people had not seen a movie like that before.
Lose both "movie"s since you used it in the first sentence. And be concise:

Its debut took audiences by surprise.

While this wasn’t director Quentin Tarantino’s first movie, it is his most popular and most loved.
You're bogging down the reader by the third sentence. You can combine the first and second sentence:

Quentin Tarantino's second feature took audiences by surprise and would become his most loved work.

The movie was different in that the story wasn’t told in chronological order. Other movies like Rashômon from director Akira Kurosawa have used the non linier time frame like “Pulp Fiction”, “Fiction” does it in a new way that has spawned several copycats. The story is told in three different stories that both stand on their own as three short movies, and also connects the movie together.
Use variation!

The non-linear narrative recalls other convention-flouting films like Akira Kurosawa's Rashomon. In Fiction, Tarantino splits the narrative into three main segments and places them out of chronological order, a device spawning many copycats for the decade to come.

What I did above was

1)generalize Tarantino's method in order to create a better reference to Kurosawa (Rashomon's narrative is wholly different from Pulp Fiction, but your general point is still valid).

2)more succinctly state what Tarantino does and noting it's subsequent effects, even quantifying those effects by naming a timeframe.

-------------------

And frankly, trying to provide criticism I realize I'm a better doer than a teacher. My job requires me to revise copy for maximum effectiveness, usually in short amounts similar to your essay. What I wrote above doesn't necessarily constitute a nice paragraph or even a proper intro to your piece, but does illustrate my points to my best ability.

My overall impression of the essay is similar to jeffkjoe's. Structure it a bit more rigidly like it was taught to me in high school:

intro and summation of points

plot summary

your positive impressions

your negative impressions

general conclusion.

hope I helped
Old 08-25-04, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I had the same thoughts as far as sentence structure goes when skimming through it, and agree that you need more variation. Too many instances of "The ____ does _____" type of basic structure.
Old 08-25-04, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I stopped reading after you said Rashomon was like Pulp Fiction. Whoa there buddy! Watch the language, Pulp Fiction is like Rashomon, not the other way around.
Old 08-25-04, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's very boring and reads like an 8th grade book report. Get to the essence of what you are talking about. You spend time spewing about the plot, in a movie where most agree it doesn't really matter. It's about deconstruction of plot, and the ultimate modern cinematic exercise in non-linear storytelling. Without that, it is PULP, vapid, B story trash. Which is what you reduce it to with your boring paragraph on what those stories are. It's like starting a lecture on the Mona Lisa by talking about the color of her gown. Yes, it's a base element, but far from the element that makes it iconic. You say yourself your favorite part is the dialogue(not that I or anyone else cares what YOUR favorite part is). Don't tell me that "your" favorite part is anything, it's your work with your name. Perhaps say, "The strongest part of this is..." It's an opinion piece, your opinion is not part of it, it is all of it.

I don't know what else to tell you man. Keep reading new authors and keep practiciing-- a LOT. You really have no style or indiciation you have ability, but don't take the word from some idiot on a message board, go out and prove me and others wrong. Develop a style and go from there. It's generally easiest to start by writing with the idea in mind that you want each sentence to create interest in the following one.