Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Kung Fu Hustle!

Old 08-25-04, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kung Fu Hustle!

from the director/actor of shaolin soccer

stephen chow has just released his first teaser trailer

http://www.bvi.com.tw/mov_wall/mov8.htm

and see some more stills here

http://www.kungfucinema.com/gallery/kungfuhustle.htm

i'm really looking forward to this movie. this guy is hillarious.
Old 08-25-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTF! Why does every.. and mean EVERY friggin kungfu movie have to use that damn song? It's degrading and offensive to me that that's the only goddamn song producers think of when pushing a kung fu movie. You know that if the studio had their way, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon would have had that song pop up as the credits rolled.

D
Old 08-25-04, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 647 Likes on 447 Posts
Well, FWIW, a lot of people think this trailer is a pointed jab at Miramax and it's handling of Shaolin Soccer.

The two lines of dialogue in the teaser:
Spoiler:
Kid: Hey Uncle, will you teach us to play soccer?

Stephen Chow: Still playing soccer?
Old 08-25-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,492 Posts
Well, FWIW, a lot of people think this trailer is a pointed jab at Miramax and it's handling of Shaolin Soccer.
That's what I've heard too.

I'm hoping to catch the premiere of this at the Toronto Film Festival, but I'm sure that the tickets will be very difficult to get. I'll try my best, and post a review here if by some miracle I can actually see it.
Old 08-25-04, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Love the Chow. Can't wait for this either.
Old 08-26-04, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Does anybody know what this movie is supposed to be about?
Old 08-26-04, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fighting.
Old 08-26-04, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's based in the 1940's

and I think it's about Stephen Chow's character trying to get into a Shanghai gang
Old 09-03-04, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally posted by joeydaninja
It's based in the 1940's

and I think it's about Stephen Chow's character trying to get into a Shanghai gang
Thanks, I just found out that this movie will be playing at the Toronto Film Festival and plan to catch it then. Hopefully, I'll be able to get tickets for it.
Old 09-15-04, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the first reviews are coming out

here's one from Copernicus on aintitcool

Spoiler:

KUNG FU HUSTLE

It is screenings like this that make being in Toronto for the festival one of the most wonderful things in the world. Thirteen hundred rabid kung fu fans packed in a theater for the world premiere of Stephen Chow's Kung Fu Hustle. And it blew away our expectations. It features awesome Yuen Wo-Ping choreographed fights, a gorgeous look, and most importantly a completely unrestrained energy that makes it both hilarious and original.

Let me explain my Badass-Induced Giddiness theory. What is more beloved in cinema than the supreme ass-kicking badass? They are forces of nature, practically impossible to beat, and when they clear a room you just want to stand up and say "Hell Yeah!" At the end of the Matrix, when Neo just holds up his hand you just get this tingling all over. And that is only the first stirrings of the giddiness.

Of course this is what the kung fu genre is all about. The student or master meets a roomful of guys, or better yet, another supreme master, and it's ass-whooping ballet time. He pulls out some move that makes you crap your pants and then you look at your buddy in disbelief and issue a chain of expletives to celebrate the achievement. The Matrix and Crouching Tiger took the badass from kung fu movies, augmented the classic wire work with computer technology and large budgets, and raised the bar. They raised the poswer level but they couldn't play up the giddiness factor much because they were trying to be serious. But what if you just used the technology to take things totally over the top and played up that moment when you just bust out laughing at how monstrously good the hero or villain is? That is exactly what Kung Fu Hustle does to cackle-inducing effect. Just when you think you've seen the ultimate boss badass, here comes another even better. And another, and another, and so on to the point of complete, glorious absurdity. When you then mix in a cast with a great sense of comic timing, bring-the-house-down one liners, and some inspired physical gags, you get the funniest movie I have seen all year.

Even the setup for the movie brings a smile to your face. Chow plays a would-be, but inept bad guy who starts a war between tuxedo-wearing, dancing gangsters called the Axe gang, and the indigent residents of a housing project who all seem to know kung fu. It seems that in this universe the more unlikely the look of the person, the better they are at ass-kicking. The paunchy, middle-aged men and fat landlady of the project dish out a seemingly never-ending array of smackdowns - a gag that never gets old no matter how many times it recurs.

Chow is celebrating all the old-time kung fu classics, like Shaw Brothers movies from the 70s. But references have come full circle now. Chow pays homage to modern geek obsessions like Quentin Tarantino movies, and the Matrix, which were already referencing classic Shaw Brothers movies! Even unexpected references like Spider-Man and Loony Tunes crop up for scene-stealing cameos.

If you are any kind of kung fu fan at all you should be absolutely thrilled with Kung Fu hustle. Who knows, it may even bust out of its genre movie roots and attain true crossover status.
Old 09-15-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds good. Any word on when it'll be released in theatres in HK?
Old 09-15-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

On a somewhat related note, does anyone know what The Shaolin Idiot is? I can't seem to find anything useful online that says what it is.
Old 09-15-04, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Shaolin Idiot is a retitling of the movie Fist of Fury 1991
Old 09-15-04, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks. Guess they're trying to cash in on Shaolin Soccer.
Old 12-22-04, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sigh - just saw the sneak preview. After so many disappointments, flops and outright disasters in the Hong Kong film industry, Kung Fu Hustle is almost like the Great Chinese Hope - the one to make amends for such a terrible year. From the laugh-a-thon that is House of Flying Daggers to the outright unwatchable Twins Effect II, HK needed a savior, both quality and box-office wise.

Thank god for Kung Fu Hustle!

It comes as a great relief to say that the film is definitely worth a watch, as it's one of the most purely entertaining films of the year. While the film itself does have a lot of rough edges (a mute girl who inexplicably cries, really fake-looking CGs), the film has so much sheer energy going for it.

The beginning sequence, admittedly, isn't that great. It reminds me somehow of Zatoichi in the song/dance number, but this time done with gangsters. The scenery is incredibly fake. Thankfully, the film picks up when it enters Pigsty town, providing some of the funniest jokes I've encountered all year.

One caveat - the English subtitles were ATROCIOUS! If you don't speak Cantonese, let this be a warning - DO NOT WATCH THE FILM. At least, wait until better subtitles come out. You'll easily miss 70% of the jokes watching it in its current state. But then, some of the jokes are so HK, it would be hard to translate them properly.

The fight scenes are, as expected, very entertaining, partly because it is violent, frenetic AND humorous. It's not trying to take itself oh-so-seriously, like the recent spate of kungfu films.

So the script itself is a bit weak (not much characterization), and one wishes Stephen Chow would go back and watch his earlier films to see why those seem to have a more human touch than his recent ones. But that's a minor quibble. As compared to Shaolin Soccer, I think it's about on par. One of my friends liked it better than SS, and another liked it less. So it really depends on the individual.

Oh, and I'm not too keen about the token gay character as the laughing stock, even though he turns out to be sort of a hero/savior. But that I'll leave some to judge.

Conclusion: rough around the edges, fake CGs and diminishing characterization, but damn if it isn't one of the funniest, most exhilarating films of the year! 7/10

Thus ends my very brief, rudimentarily written review.

Last edited by Grimfarrow; 12-22-04 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-22-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts
Originally Posted by Grimfarrow
One caveat - the English subtitles were ATROCIOUS! If you don't speak Cantonese, let this be a warning - DO NOT WATCH THE FILM. At least, wait until better subtitles come out. You'll easily miss 70% of the jokes watching it in its current state. But then, some of the jokes are so HK, it would be hard to translate them properly.
Probably one of the reasons why I had such a hard time getting thru reading hte script.
Old 01-27-05, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

New US trailer is on the web:
http://images.apple.com/trailers/son...fu_hustle.html

Or direct download:
http://images.apple.com/movies/sony/...ustle_m480.mov

I think this trailer is also playing in front of House of Flying Daggers.

According the the website www.kungfuhustlemovie.com , the film is due out in the US in March.
Old 01-27-05, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I heard a lot of people talking about this at Sundance. Suppose to be very good.
Old 01-27-05, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Region 3 DVD hits in the beginning of Feb. Great movie by Chow, not as humorous as his previous but some kick ass action scenes.
Old 01-27-05, 04:08 PM
Suspended

Wow - what a bad trailer. Even the international trailers underwhelm me. Dont get me wrong - I'll still see it, based on the star power - but the trailers just dont excite.

Pinball sound effects. Yeah, that was a good idea, Miramax.
Old 01-27-05, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts
Originally Posted by El-Kabong
Pinball sound effects. Yeah, that was a good idea, Miramax.
Uh, it's being released by Sony.
Old 01-27-05, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seen the movie. IMO, the trailer gives away a bit too much.
Old 01-27-05, 05:53 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Uh, it's being released by Sony.
Well. . . um . . . I still hate Miramax for ruining this film!
Old 01-27-05, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OMG, that looks so great.
Old 01-28-05, 11:05 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
I heard a lot of people talking about this at Sundance. Suppose to be very good.
it was also a hot ticket at last September's Toronto Film Festival.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.