Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lucas Will Make Final Trilogy?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Lucas Will Make Final Trilogy?

Old 08-26-04, 12:02 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Terrell
You do realize how silly that statement sounds, don't you? As for LOTR being this generation's Star Wars...............no!
Sorry, but it is. Out with the old in with the new, baby. Years from now you'll be hearing filmmakers go "I decided to get into this business because I saw Lord of the Rings when I was 8". Same as was the case with Star Wars. Hate to break it to you.
Old 08-26-04, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Rivero
Sorry, but it is. Out with the old in with the new, baby. Years from now you'll be hearing filmmakers go "I decided to get into this business because I saw Lord of the Rings when I was 8". Same as was the case with Star Wars. Hate to break it to you.
It may be this generations "Star Wars", but it will never be equal in the eyes of film history. It did nothing groundbreaking or earth shattering.
Old 08-26-04, 01:15 PM
Banned

Originally posted by flyboy
It may be this generations "Star Wars", but it will never be equal in the eyes of film history.
Well, history will be the judge of that not you or I.
Old 08-26-04, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There was a time when I really wanted to see this happen but not after what I have seen him do with the last two films.
Old 08-26-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm with Toad. As for the LOTR vs Star Wars thing, the fact that the words "Star Wars" still has to be used to describe LOTR's as yet unforeseen popularity in the future(gotta love people with crystal balls that see into the future) is just evidence that it'll never even get close to Star Wars. IMO of course.

In the same way Die Hard is so hard to topple off the action movie pedestal. Everything else after that was "Die Hard in a Different Scenario"
Old 08-26-04, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think anything could do now what SW did in the 70s/80s.
It is a different world and industry now. LOTR was amazing, it did do what others had tried on a grander scale, but today's youth (of which i am not one of but just above the mark, and spend a lot of time with and around) aren't affected the same as they used to be. SW showed people something that they didn't imagine possible. Now kids (and people in general) aren't impressed as easily, and even if they are (as many were with LOTR) something new comes along so fast that even the ones that linger in people's minds aren't as influential as they used to be.
Old 08-26-04, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 932 Likes on 657 Posts
After LOTR, this generation's Star Wars, why would he want to take a step back?
I have to say that sounds pretty arrogant. After all, he would just be adapting someone else's work. Why would he want to do that? cough, lord of the rings, cough, king kong, cough, the hobbit. More like a lateral move if you ask me.
Old 08-26-04, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think anything could do now what SW did in the 70s/80s.
Bingo! I will say that I could never get into LOTR. I found the characters, villains, and stories boring. But that's my humble opinion.

Hate to break it to you.
LOTR can't touch the popularity and impact that Star Wars had on the film industry, visual effects, popular culture, and an entire generation of movie-goers and filmmakers. Not even close. Just stay tuned the next couple of months, and we'll see which DVD is more popular, Star Wars or LOTR, even at a higher price point.

I find LOTR's characters, villains, and stories boring compared to the original Star Wars trilogy. I will say it will be generally regarded as a great trilogy and that Peter Jackson should be commended, even though I don't care for the material. But equal what Star Wars did in '77, not even close.

Can't believe I got myself involved in this idiotic Star Wars vs. LOTR garbage. Shame on you Terrell.
Old 08-26-04, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Terrell
Can't believe I got myself involved in this idiotic Star Wars vs. LOTR garbage. Shame on you Terrell.

I'm glad you did - a Star Wars or Lucas thread wouldn't be the same without a flame war between you and Rivero!
Old 08-26-04, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Instead of trying to figure out Episodes 7, 8 & 9 - Lucas should RE-MAKE the "Original" Trilogy to "fit" into his beloved Prequel Era Trilogy. Completely re-shoot the damn things instead of "fixing" them.

Then release the Original Theatrical editions of Episodes 4, 5 & 6 along with the remade Prequel Era Star Wars Saga (Episodes 1 thru 6).

Andrew

Last edited by The Valeyard; 08-26-04 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-31-04, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think what I'd be most interested in seeing would've been David Lynch's take on Return of the Jedi, which he supposedely was offered but chose to do Dune instead. That would have been some interesting stuff.