Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A.I. a great movie that was overlooked and shunned by the public?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

A.I. a great movie that was overlooked and shunned by the public?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-10, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: A.I. a great movie that was overlooked and shunned by the public?

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
do you always read just 2/3's of a post before you reply?
No I always read the entire post. Tenet of my religion.

Sometimes I make jokes that people don't get though.
Old 03-19-10, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by SunMonkey
The Stanley Hotel in Colorado is not the one where they filmed the movie.

Anyway, A.I. is a fabulous film.
Maybe I meant the miniseries?
Old 03-19-10, 05:12 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
That is what opinions are... no it is not my loss. For the record I love The Shinning, I thought A.I. was crap sorry that is my opinion. You can have yours and think it is great. To me it was horrible. Hell on vacation last year I visited the hotel where the Shinning was filmed in CO and got some great pics as well. Gotta love all the people on this board who think their opinions are the only ones that matter. I posted my opinion, I do not think A.I will be remembered as a great film. It was tedious to sit through, to many false endings and it really dragged. Oh and I "got" the movie, it seems like everyone wants to try and insult the intelligence of people who didn't like it as they didn't understand or get it if you didn't like this film. It was a departure for Speilberg that is for sure, but I feel he was misguided in making this.
Yeah, The Shining was filmed in Oregon and of course all interiors were in England. I have been to the hotel that was duplicated for the interiors.

Anyway, I never questioned your liking or disliking the film. As I said, your opinion of the film actually has no effect on its assured longevity. It was asked if the film would be appreciated more fondly in 20 years and you laughed, thus you are saying that it won't be appreciated more in 20 years. I believe you are wrong. On my side I have Barry Lyndon, The Shining, FMJ, and EWS; all films that are more highly regarded today then when they were released, especially Lyndon which was an outright BOMB and Shining which recieved mixed reviews and was derided. On your side you have...

There aren't many guarantees in life, but I'm giving you one today, AI will be long remembered, even with any supposed faults. Again, I'm not judging the film good or bad, I'm just telling you it's reputation will be greater in 2021 than it was in 2001.

Last edited by Mabuse; 03-19-10 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-20-10, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
How are the actions of the AI creatures at the end related thematically to David's journey in the rest of the film?
It's the obvious statement that artificial intelligence will live on long after humans perish. It's sort of like the human progression in 2001.

I liked the film. If only Kubrick himself could have directed it.
Old 03-21-10, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

As someone said upon A.I.'s release on DVD: You couldn't make me rewatch this film if I was on fire and the DVD came with a free glass of water.
Old 03-24-10, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

When I first saw A.I. I loved it until I saw him kill the other David. I was like, "why!?"
Then he commited suicide and I thought, wow, this movie ended crazy...
But it wasn't over.
Then I see him talking to the blue fairy with the fade to black and I was like, "Oh hell no!"

So when the final ending finally came around I was happy.

Looking back, I think it was 2 too many endings, like American Gigolo. I agree with whoever said some people just want depressing endings just because.

However, I think it would have been interesting to have him end his own life after realizing he wasn't unique. Then it could be left up to the viewer if he wasn't unique, because he came off an assembly line or if he was unique based on how his actions applied to his particular life.

As for the movie itself, I was shocked to find out it didn't do well. It's probably one of the most amazing movies I've ever seen.
Old 03-25-10, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I though I didn't like when I first saw it in theaters. But I have grown to appreciate lots of it with hindsight. Some of the action bits are still cheesy, but the more delicate aspects of David's search, all the way until the end of the movie are quite touching now. And, I do own the DVD, keeping it among my SK section of films, on top of it.