Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stephen King's IT (2017, D: Andrés Muschietti)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Stephen King's IT (2017, D: Andrés Muschietti)

Old 06-08-12, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
Re: Stephen King's IT Remake on the way!!!

Originally Posted by argh923
I'm really, really leery of this idea.
I am too ... while it is a step in the right direction to dedicate 4+ hours to the material, I am cynical of the whole "two movie" concept. I don't see it panning out well.

I know I am not the general movie-going public, but I would much rather sit through one four-hour movie then watch half of a movie and wait 3-6 months to see the end of it. I will not patronize this strategy in a theater; I'll wait for both parts to land in a Redbox.
Old 06-08-12, 11:43 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
How about some Pennywise casting choices?

on IMDB, I read a mention of Paul Giamatti and Jackie Earle Haley.

I thought of maybe someone like Christoph Waltz. I haven't read the book. Was Curry an accurate depiction?
After the tragedy that was the Nightmare on Elm St. remake, I'm going to say nay to Jackie Earle Haley.
Old 06-09-12, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Nightmare on Elm Street remake is one of the worst films i've seen in the last ten years. It is no masterpiece, and could use an update. There are many great elements in the original miniseries, but it's plagued by television production and televisionish performances. Bring on an update, i'll see it.
Old 06-09-12, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I know I am not the general movie-going public, but I would much rather sit through one four-hour movie then watch half of a movie and wait 3-6 months to see the end of it. I will not patronize this strategy in a theater; I'll wait for both parts to land in a Redbox.
Good luck finding a studio to bankroll a four-hour, R-rated adaptation of a horror novel that plays as a single feature.

If they can do justice to the epic source material by spreading it out like that, why wouldn't you want to show your support by seeing it in theaters? Any success could only bode well for similar future projects.
Old 06-09-12, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you're a studio and want to start a King cycle start with The Stand. It's his best book, arguably, but more than that it has an unchristly fanbase. Get the best people you can and hit it out of the park. After that you can go about adapting other good work like IT or *shudder* the Dark Tower series. It's the Avengers model, kinda. Studios should study it.
Old 06-09-12, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's no way you can turn The Stand into one movie, though, without completely ruining it. The 8 hour miniseries was pretty decent, and even it left a lot out.
Old 06-09-12, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the original miniseries of it was pretty good, but the thing that didn't work that well, IMO, was the same problem that the book had:

Spoiler:
That IT is a giant alien spider creature at the end.
Old 06-09-12, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Sid Haig.
/thread

I don't scare easy as an adult, but he frightened the shit out of me in House of 1000 corpses and Devils rejects.
Old 06-09-12, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by JesseCuster
If you're a studio and want to start a King cycle start with The Stand. It's his best book, arguably, but more than that it has an unchristly fanbase. Get the best people you can and hit it out of the park. After that you can go about adapting other good work like IT or *shudder* the Dark Tower series. It's the Avengers model, kinda. Studios should study it.
I saw a different article saying a multi-film version of The Stand is also in the works ... though it attaches Ben Affleck to direct.
Old 06-09-12, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
I thought the original miniseries of it was pretty good, but the thing that didn't work that well, IMO, was the same problem that the book had:

Spoiler:
To be fair though:

Spoiler:
IT is only a giant spider because that is the "physical form" that they could cope with. Bill is drawn closer to the 'real' IT when he performs the ritual of CHUD. In the end though ... what could it possibly be and not be disappointing?
Old 06-10-12, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I am too ... while it is a step in the right direction to dedicate 4+ hours to the material, I am cynical of the whole "two movie" concept. I don't see it panning out well.

Kill Bill did well, despite it being a two-part movie. Didn't hinder its success one way or the other.
Old 06-10-12, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi

Spoiler:
And that was the exact reason why the book did scare the crap out of me!
Old 06-11-12, 08:29 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm willing to give it a chance, but it just seems like a good chunk of King's work can't be successfully adapted to the screen. There are very few exceptions to that rule, and most of those aren't the supernatural ones.
Old 06-11-12, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Yea. Remember how great the Dreamcatcher trailer seemed? And how the movie was unable to make anything work? That was embarassing. And I never read the book.
Old 06-12-12, 12:35 PM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Yea. Remember how great the Dreamcatcher trailer seemed? And how the movie was unable to make anything work? That was embarassing. And I never read the book.
Actually, it sounds just like the book. A pile of crap.
Old 06-12-12, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Hugo Weaving could probably scare the crap out of young kids in a clown costume.
Hugo Weaving in a clown costume would scare the crap out of me ... and I'm 45 years old!

"BEEP BEEP, Mr. Anderson! They ALL float down here. When you're down here with us, you'll float too!"
Old 06-12-12, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Xander
Actually, it sounds just like the book. A pile of crap.
Yeah, I'm a huge King nut and Dreamcatcher was terrible, so terrible I didn't consider for a second that a movie would actually improve on it.
Old 06-13-12, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
Kill Bill did well, despite it being a two-part movie. Didn't hinder its success one way or the other.
I don't think you can say that because you don't know how it would have panned out in it's original 3-hour incarnation. You can say it was successful, but you can't say one method worked over another. I'd be curious how many people watched Part 1, didn't like it, and skipped Part 2 (at least in the theater). How did Part 2's box office numbers stack up to Part 1?

Plus, as I said, I'm not the general movie-going public.
Old 11-04-13, 06:38 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

Warner Bros’ adaptation of the classic Stephen King novel It has a director and writer.

Cary Fukunaga, the hot-shot filmmaker behind last year’s adaptation of Jane Eyre, is boarding the project as director and will co-write the script with Chase Palmer, who previously adapted Frank Herbert’s Dune for Paramount.

Roy Lee and Dan Lin are producing It, as are Seth Grahame-Smith and David Katzenberg of KatzSmith Production.

A best-selling book when it was published in1986, It, like The Stand, is one of King’s biggest and most dense tomes, and the plan is for Fukunaga and Palmer to adapt the work into two films.

The story follows a group of kids called the Losers Club that encounter a creature called It, which preys on children and whose favorite form is that of a sadistic clown called Pennywise. When the creature resurfaces, the kids are called upon to regroup again, this time as adults, even though they have no memory of the first battle.

The book was previously adapted in 1990 as an ABC miniseries that starred John Ritter, Harry Anderson, Tim Reid, Annette O'Toole, Richard Thomas and Tim Curry played Pennywise.

Warners picked up the rights in 2009 and originally intended to adapt it into a single movie.

Jon Silk is co-producing.

Fukunaga won the directing award at the Sundance Film Festival for his drama Sin Nombre. He is attached to develop
HBO’s True Detective, which has Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey attached as stars.

Palmer, an award-winning shorts director, first worked with Fukunaga on Focus’ No Blood, No, Guts, No Glory.

Fukunaga and Palmer are repped by WME. Fukunaga is additionally repped by Anonymous Content and Lichter Grossman while Palmer is also repped by The Gotham Group and Weissman Wolff.
Old 11-04-13, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
After the tragedy that was the Nightmare on Elm St. remake, I'm going to say nay to Jackie Earle Haley.
He was the one tolerable thing about that movie, I'd blame just about everyone else involved with it for what was wrong with it. Hayley wouldn't be my first choice, but he might work. I still think it would work as a miniseries, just this time with a bigger budget and at least on cable. Some of the book is bloated and could be cut out, IMO.

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
Kill Bill had Taraninto's name on it, that's box office gold. And the other movies broken into parts have usually been megabucks franchises anyway (The Hobbit, The Hunger Games, Harry Potter).
Old 11-04-13, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

The problem with Nightmare on Elm Street was the direction and script. I found the casting fine overall.
Old 11-05-13, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

I didn't like IT when I watched it back in the day when it was originally broadcast. A cable channel did the whole 3 hour thing a week ago so I thought I would watch it for shits and giggles. Still a piece of crap made-for-tv movie with tv actors.
Old 11-05-13, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
Kill Bill had Taraninto's name on it, that's box office gold.
it is now, But was it then? At the time it had been six years since Tarrantino's last movie, Jackie Brown, which did OK with around $70 million. But that was also a big drop from Pulp Fiction's gross.
Old 11-05-13, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Still a piece of crap made-for-tv movie with tv actors.
exactly. and some of the worst TV actors they could find too (aside from John Ritter, who is always solid). Tim Curry was on a different level and seemingly in a different movie.
Old 02-12-14, 08:43 AM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

Just bumping this again... since True Detective has become so popular... It was announced back in November (scroll up, post 69) that Fukunaga would be helming... Maybe people will be more interested now.

Producer on the project, Dan Lin had an update:

Cary Fukunaga is writing and directing Stephen King’s It for me, and I’m really excited for that. So I’m hoping that’ll be his next movie after the indie he’s shooting in Africa. So I love what he did with True Detective. I think it’s a great sample for Stephen King’s It. So I’m really excited about that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.