Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stephen King's IT (2017, D: Andrés Muschietti)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Stephen King's IT (2017, D: Andrés Muschietti)

Old 02-12-14, 09:26 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Stephen King's IT Remake (D: Cary Fukunaga)

Fukunaga's work on True Detective has been phenomenal (episode 4 in particular). I'm all in.
Old 02-17-14, 05:03 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

Fukunaga recently sat down with Collider to discuss TRUE DETECTIVE and they asked about the status of IT. Fukunaga shared some interesting details about the films.

I am in the midst of rewriting the first script now. We’re not working on the second part yet. The first script is just about the kids. It’s more like Goonies meets a horror film.

Fukunaga also spoke of the weakest part of the IT mini-series, the ending, and what he hopes to avoid in his version.

There will be no spider at the end of our movie. We’re definitely honoring the spirit of Stephen King, but the horror has to be modernized to make it relevant. That’s my job, right now, on this pass. I’m working on making the horror more about suspense than visualization of any creatures. I just don’t think that’s scary. What could be there, and the sounds and how it interacts with things, is scarier than actual monsters.
Old 02-18-14, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This would be interesting as a TV miniseries again, this time with higher production values, particularly on HBO. Though if they cut out some of the excesses and messed up parts from the book, I'd still be OK with that.
Old 02-18-14, 01:32 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cary Fukunaga doing this as an 8-part HBO series would be phenomenal.
Old 02-18-14, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

8-part? How would you fill 16 hours?
Old 05-04-15, 03:48 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

I know Tim Curry is so iconic in the role... but I really like this casting.

Will Poulter, the actor who broke through with his comedic turn a virginal doofus in We’re the Millers, is making a dramatic turn for the evil and in negotiations to play the villain in New Line’s adaptation of Stephen King’s It.

Cary Fukunaga is directing the two-movie adaptation which is due to go into production June. Dan Lin and Roy Lee are producing as are Seth Grahame-Smith and David Katzenberg.

The story follows a group of teens called the Losers Club who defeat a creature called It. Years later, the creature returns, and the club, now adults, have to band together again even though they have no memory of the first battle.

The plan is for the first movie to tell the kids’ story and the second movie to focus on the adults.

With the first movie, the teens band together when one of the protagonists’ brothers disappears in the town’s local storm drains, and they begin a seach, not knowing that It is counting on exactly that.

It is a being that commonly takes the form a clown who, when he smiles, is all killer teeth.

The studio and producers were initially looking to cast someone older (Tim Curry played the killer clown in the 1990 TV mini-series) but then did an about-face when scheduling kept choices such as Mark Rylance out of the picture.

Poulter has also done an about-face since his comedic turn in Millers. He appeared in YA thriller The Maze Runner but it was his work in Revenant, the forthcoming revenge drama from Alejandro Gonzalez Inaritu that stars Leonardo DiCaprio, is said to be what grabbed the attention of producers. Poulter is one of the men who leaves DiCaprio's character for dead in Revenant, which opens January 8, 2016

He is repped by WME.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...se-cary-793199
Old 05-04-15, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I wonder if he can float?
Old 05-04-15, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The novel featured one character in particular that would have to be licensed for a film/miniseries/whatever adaptation, but it would be so cool if they could get it! I am referring, of course, to:

Spoiler:
Rodan

Especially if they can get this out around the same time as Godzilla 2 and Ready Player One.

Last edited by dugan; 05-04-15 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-05-15, 01:27 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Refresh my memory I don't remember that monster.
Old 05-05-15, 01:35 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Refresh my memory I don't remember that monster.
I'm guessing it's this guy:

Spoiler:
Old 05-05-15, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Wow

The dorky kid from We're the Millers looks fucking evil in a lot of his head shots.
Old 05-05-15, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just look at his brow line and eyes, reminds me of a young Curry. I think he's going to look really fucking creepy in makeup.
Old 05-06-15, 02:58 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I'm guessing it's this guy:

Spoiler:
I know who the creature is. I meant how is the creature used in the book?
Old 05-06-15, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I know who the creature is. I meant how is the creature used in the book?
Spoiler:
It attacks Mike Hanlon in the steel mill.
Old 05-25-15, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Goddamn it (no pun)...

From Dark Horizons:

I[n] terrible news, acclaimed "True Detective" and "Jane Eyre" helmer Cary Fukunaga has dropped out of his proposed two-film adaptation of Stephen King's horror tale "It" after being attached to the project for three years.

Fukunaga was adamant that this adaptation of King's 1986 novel, which clocks in at a whopping 1,138 pages, had to be told across two films. The story follows a group of outcast kids who come together over summer break to take on a monster killing people in their town.

Studio New Line was said to be considering making only one movie due to financial concerns. As they could not agree on a budget, he and the studio clashed which ultimately led to him departing the project this holiday weekend.

Filming was slated to begin this Summer but that has now stalled. What this means for Fukunaga and Chase Palmer's script is unknown, or the already cast actors in the project including Will Poulter who has been in talks to play the evil clown Pennywise.

Seth Grahame-Smith, David Katzenberg, Dan Lin and Roy Lee remain onboard as producers.

I just started reading the novel and was really looking forward to seeing what Fukunaga would bring to the table.
Old 05-25-15, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,055 Posts

It's been said before in this thread but a one film adaptation of this story will be shit! Hell, I had my doubts that it could be told properly in two films. A trilogy would seem like a no brainier for this.
Old 05-25-15, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What would be a no-brainer is a limited television series. TV has been pushing boundaries in ways few films do these days, and this could be awesome if done properly on HBO/Netflix/etc.
Old 05-25-15, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Watching the recent horror remakes makes me think this is just going to be another 90 minute summary of the original story. Turned into the PG-13 horror formula remix.
Old 05-25-15, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,055 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
What would be a no-brainer is a limited television series. TV has been pushing boundaries in ways few films do these days, and this could be awesome if done properly on HBO/Netflix/etc.
I agree with this.
Old 05-25-15, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Stephen King's IT Remake

I'm surprised Fukunaga thought he could do it justice in two movies. I'd expect a good adaptation to be 10 1-hour episodes.
Old 05-25-15, 09:56 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

New Line was demanding one film for this while stretching out The Hobbit (only a little longer than a novella) for three excruciating entries?
Old 05-25-15, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've ways assumed that had more to do with Jackson's penchant for rampant excess. Apparently it was originally slated for two, and Jackson found enough material for three, or said he did. New Line were all about having another movie to release. Said trilogy though (and haters be damned, I liked it) existed on the back of one by the same director which had been massively successful. This one isn't a pre-existing property, and the book is a huge pillar of the genre like Tolkien's was. Though in a hysterical bit of hypocrisy, while I'm tolerant of Jackson's excesses, I wouldn't mind them trimming some of King's overlong prose or nonsensical ending.
Old 05-25-15, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

I'm surprised that Cary was under the impression that the studio would even let him do that.

This isn't LOTR or The Hobbit.
Old 05-26-15, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts

I don't think It is epic enough in its scope to justify more than one movie.

The Stand, yes. It, no.
Old 05-26-15, 07:48 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I only know of IT from the old movie. Which I barely remember aside from the clown, his name escapes me, in a drainage.

But is it really that damn good of a book? I've never a King book at all. I've seen some of the films based on his stuff. I do want to read Dark Tower though cuz that sounds all kinds of amazing.

What books are must read King books?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.