Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stephen King's IT (2017, D: Andrés Muschietti)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Stephen King's IT (2017, D: Andrés Muschietti)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-17, 02:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Re: Stephen King's IT (2017, D: Andrés Muschietti)

i really don't see how or why they think it will do well. this doesn't look that good at all to me. Stranger Things with more violence, i guess, is what they are going for. who knows?
Old 08-18-17, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i really don't see how or why they think it will do well. this doesn't look that good at all to me. Stranger Things with more violence, i guess, is what they are going for. who knows?
Never read the book or watched the horrible tv mini-series?
Old 08-18-17, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

It's tracking well and has a large following from fans of the book and a full generation that grew up on the mini series. Plus, solid trailers.
Old 08-18-17, 03:43 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

There wouldn't be a Stranger Things without things like IT.
Old 08-18-17, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Never read the book or watched the horrible tv mini-series?
I've done both. The series was horrible. The book was pretty darn creepy, but this just seems like another, generic Hollywood spooky/haunting horror movie. But more kids. Just my opionion. I realize ST owes a lot to book. But so many King novels just don't translate well to the screen. For whatever reasons. Sure, there are the exceptions. Misery, Stand By Me, but so so many duds. Trailer just doesn't do anything for me. We'll see when reviews come out. Hope I'm wrong as I would love to see a well done R rated horror movie in theaters. So few and far between nowadays...
Old 08-18-17, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
It's tracking well and has a large following from fans of the book and a full generation that grew up on the mini series. Plus, solid trailers.
I think audiences are hungry for a well-made, hard-R adaption of a straight-up classic Stephen King horror novel.
Old 08-18-17, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

But so many King novels just don't translate well to the screen. For whatever reasons. Sure, there are the exceptions. Misery, Stand By Me, but so so many duds.
That's an outdated perception, IMO. His adaptations have gotten a lot better over the years. Not to mention, nobody bats a thousand. "Exceptions" implies a few. He has more than a few solid ones.

Pet Semetery, The Shining, Shawshank, Misery, Stand By Me, The Green Mile, The Mist, 1408, Cujo, Carrie, The Dead Zone, 11.22.63, Nightmares & Dreamscapes, etc. Then currently Mr. Mercedes tv show is fantastic.

I think the real problem is one, his volume of output and two, the chasm between the quality of his adaptations. He's so prolific that he can just license out everything left and right. If something's bad, someone else will give it another go a few years down the line. And when they're bad, they're really fucking bad. Under the Dome, The Mist (show) and The Dark Tower come to mind for recent stuff.
Old 08-18-17, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
That's an outdated perception, IMO. His adaptations have gotten a lot better over the years. Not to mention, nobody bats a thousand. "Exceptions" implies a few. He has more than a few solid ones.

Pet Semetery, The Shining, Shawshank, Misery, Stand By Me, The Green Mile, The Mist, 1408, Cujo, Carrie, The Dead Zone, 11.22.63, Nightmares & Dreamscapes, etc.
None of those made too much money save for Misery and maybe Stand By Me, The Green Mile (though more due to foreign receipts). Shawshank didn't even get noticed till second Oscar run and home video. Barely made its budget back...
Old 08-18-17, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Wait, wait, wait ... stop the thread ...

Originally Posted by Mabuse
This is almost as good as the guy who asked about the Goodfellas flipper.
There is a version of Goodfellas made with dolphins?! Fuckin' A!
Old 08-18-17, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pet Semetery, The Shining, Shawshank, Misery, Stand By Me, The Green Mile, The Mist, 1408, Cujo, Carrie, The Dead Zone, 11.22.63, Nightmares & Dreamscapes, etc. Then currently Mr. Mercedes tv show is fantastic.

I think the real problem is one, his volume of output and two, the chasm between the quality of his adaptations. He's so prolific that he can just license out everything left and right. If something's bad, someone else will give it another go a few years down the line. And when they're bad, they're really fucking bad. Under the Dome, The Mist (show) and The Dark Tower come to mind for recent stuff.
The Shining - Kubrick
The Dead Zone - Cronenberg
Carrie - DePalma
Christine - Carpenter
The Mist - Darabont

When you have a good novel and a good (auteur?) director paired up it works and you end up with a classic. Even stuff like Cujo and Pet Sematary were turned into decent horror movies.

But a lot of King adaptions end up with some combination of terrible scripts, journeyman directors, bad actors, and dreadful CGI, and the tv adaptions in particular -- The Stand, It, Under the Dome, Langoliers, The Shining (mini), Salems Lot (both) -- were awful.

This came up a while back in another discussion about King adaptions here, but I found it interesting. It seems like the closer King is to his adaptions, the worse they are; they have bad acting and look like overlit soap operas. Is this how Stephen King sees his own books in his head?
Old 08-18-17, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
But a lot of King adaptions end up with some combination of terrible scripts, journeyman directors, bad actors, and dreadful CGI, and the tv adaptions in particular -- The Stand, It, Under the Dome, Langoliers, The Shining (mini), Salems Lot (both) -- were awful.
I remember the 1979 miniseries of Salem's Lot being pretty good In fact, it could somewhat fit under your "auteur director" category, being directed by Tobe Hooper (made in the period in between the classics Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Poltergeist). Maybe it's dated a bit (it's been a while since I watched last) and limited by the content constraints of 70s tv, but it's a far cry from "awful". Though I've heard bad things about the massively edited 110 minute "movie" version (which I've never seen).

Last edited by brainee; 08-18-17 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-19-17, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

This is tracking for a 50 million dollar opening weekend, one of the largest September openings ever. The teaser trailer was the most viewed trailer EVER in the first 24 hours after release. I'm pretty sure it's going to do OK.
Old 08-19-17, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brainee
I remember the 1979 miniseries of Salem's Lot being pretty good In fact, it could somewhat fit under your "auteur director" category, being directed by Tobe Hooper (made in the period in between the classics Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Poltergeist). Maybe it's dated a bit (it's been a while since I watched last) and limited by the content constraints of 70s tv, but it's a far cry from "awful". Though I've heard bad things about the massively edited 110 minute "movie" version (which I've never seen).
I just watched it a couple of months ago and it bored me. The pacing is absolutely glaciel and the characters are dull.

I would like to see 'Salem's Lot made into a theatrical film. It was one of the first King novels I read back when I was a kid and I remember enjoying it.

Likewise, I think The Stand would be a good theatrical trilogy.

Both would need a strong cast, a good director, and a good cinematographer.
Old 08-19-17, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

None of those made too much money save for Misery and maybe Stand By Me, The Green Mile (though more due to foreign receipts). Shawshank didn't even get noticed till second Oscar run and home video. Barely made its budget back...
Who said anything about box office? I thought the question was about quality.
Old 08-19-17, 07:50 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Who said anything about box office? I thought the question was about quality.
His initial post was saying he doesn't think it looks any good and questioned why the BO tracking is so high. But that's just like...his opinion, man.
Old 08-20-17, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I just watched it a couple of months ago and it bored me. The pacing is absolutely glaciel and the characters are dull.

I would like to see 'Salem's Lot made into a theatrical film. It was one of the first King novels I read back when I was a kid and I remember enjoying it.

Likewise, I think The Stand would be a good theatrical trilogy.

Both would need a strong cast, a good director, and a good cinematographer.
To each their own. I think the pacing of the original Salem's Lot is perfect. I wouldn't try to argue it's the best vampire story put to film, but it's easily my personal favorite to rewatch.
Old 08-20-17, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought Salem's Lot was pretty good for a made-for-tv movie back in the day.
Old 08-20-17, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

I agree with what a lot of people here are saying, King adaptations work best when they get a decent director behind the camera. The Shining is an interesting exception as it works better as a Kubrick horror movie than a Kind adaptation. The major issue the horror adaptations face is that the character development and backgrounds you get when reading are almost non-existent . The "It" novel makes it so you know just about all there is to know about any victim, friend, or some random passerby to the story events. Once someone trims the fat for the screen you just see another no name victim getting mauled by a creature like every other horror movie.
FWIW, King wrote the screenplay to Sleepwalkers and directed Maximum Overdrive. I know both may have fans, but they aren't exactly great works of horror.
Old 08-20-17, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They are both pretty movies, much less horror movies. If there are fans, must be fans of bad cinema. There can be some entertainment value in a bad movie.
Old 08-25-17, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Alamo Drafthouse to Host Clown-Only Screenings of ‘IT’
Story Here

Is this real?! If so...

perhaps inspired by its women-only “Wonder Woman” screenings — although probably less likely to incite controversy — an Austin, Tex., location of the Alamo Drafthouse is hosting a clown-only screening of the upcoming adaptation of Stephen King’s “It” the day after the film’s Sept. 8 premiere

According to the company’s website, the bizarre event requires that “all attendees should arrive dressed as a clown in order to attend.” The Mueller theater will also be hosting a “Barrell O’ Fun” pre-party, including “face-painters available for clown ‘touch-ups,’ a photo booth, raffles for prizes, and other terrifying merriment.”
Old 08-25-17, 02:48 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

That's great....and horrifying.
Old 08-25-17, 03:19 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

That's awesome!
Old 08-25-17, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Fuck. That.
Old 08-25-17, 04:13 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Mimes are pissed.
Old 08-25-17, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Mimes are pissed.
You just know if they allowed a private screening for mimes all the Social Comedy Warriors of the internet would be up in arms. Double standard!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.