Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Natalie Portman to play stripper in 'Closer"?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-04, 03:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHY?????????? She's so talented, and one of the few beauties who had the courage to say that she would never have any nude scences in movies. She also mentioned how she comes from a strict Jewish family and how her folks would, "disown her" for doing that. So, why all of a sudden am I hearing buzz that she's playing a stripper in her next film? I remember back in 1997 I believe it was when she put down Jennifer Love Hewitt for her role in "Heartbreakers", and I rember her saying something like, "you'd never see me do what JLH does". Why the sudden change, can someone please clue me in?
Old 08-18-04, 03:56 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I've seen the trailer, and she does play a stripper no doubt about it.
Old 08-18-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
She talked about it on Conan a few weeks ago. She said she went to clubs to "research" pole dancing.
Old 08-18-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Who cares? She learned how to pole-dance for the role. Give her a chance to apply it.
Old 08-18-04, 04:00 PM
Banned

I really hope she doesn't go the whore route. What about her strict parents disowning her. It pisses me off, because people will now look at her for this film because she probably will show some stuff, and not for her acting ability

Last edited by Dalvin; 08-18-04 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-18-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
She's not that talented... she is pretentiously book smart, but that doesn't really make her talented. The biggest surprise about this role is that she hasn't got the boobs for it.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you her father? Try not to disown her.
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
WHY? more like WHY NOT?!

this was indeed talked about in past threads. Oh man, when she talked about the role on conan.. rool:

I know you may feel threatend or jealous because your lovely girlfriend looks like portman and everyone will be staring at her a bit more with those devil eyes.

Maybe the story is beyond what JLH's role was in Heartbreakers? Hell, maybe it's actually a good script? who would have thunk it.

Besides.. with your post in Adult talk (or was that your second causin's brother's neighbor on the account typing it?) I'm a bit surprised you aren't all for this. I mean it's portman AS A STRIPPER!!!!

I know I will be in line.
Old 08-18-04, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Dalvin
I really rope she doesn't go the whore route. What about her strict parents disowning her. It pisses me off, because people will now look at her for this film because she probably will show some stuff, and not for her acting ability

And I really hope she does. Who cares? she's an adult let her make up her own mind. It pisses you off? WTF. You ain't her boyfriend (oh... wait..)

She isn't the worlds greatest actress. She's cute and she can deliver a line.

You're just mad cause now you wont be the only one seeing her junk in the bed room.
Old 08-18-04, 04:08 PM
Banned

Not neccesarily, I believe she has a no-nudity clause in her contract, so if she does show anything, it will most likely be a body double.
Old 08-18-04, 04:10 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Dalvin
I really rope she doesn't go the whore route. What about her strict parents disowning her. It pisses me off, because people will now look at her for this film because she probably will show some stuff, and not for her acting ability
Why the hell do you give a shit if HER OWN PARENTS DISOWN HER????? Are you a relative or friend or something?? However the majority view her after this film can't be as bad as being know as Senator Padme Amidala in those travesties known as the Star Wars prequels! In fact, I guarantee you being in those films in some way influenced her to take on this role in an effort to shake off the kiddie image.
Old 08-18-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

trailer

Movie Synopsis: Academy Award®-winning director Mike Nichols follows the triumphant "Angels in America" with "Closer," an uncompromisingly honest look at modern relationships. "Closer" is the story of four strangers (Julia Roberts, Jude Law, Natalie Portman and Clive Owen), their chance meetings, instant attractions, and brutal betrayals.

Funny, shocking, and powerful, "Closer" is reminiscent of such classic Nichols fare as "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" and "Carnal Knowledge."
It doesn't appear to be as sexually exploitive as Heartbreakers, but of course it is exploitive on some level, otherwise she could have been a waitress.
Old 08-18-04, 04:11 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I know you may feel threatend or jealous because your lovely girlfriend looks like portman and everyone will be staring at her
Actually if my girlfriend had the body of a 10 year old boy I wouldn't feel the least bit threatened but to each their own.
Old 08-18-04, 04:11 PM

I doubt she'll be nude, but it would be fantastic if she was... actually, that'd probably be the only reason to see the movie.
Old 08-18-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

dude, he's dating her. I mean as the concerned boyfriend, I would wonder what my girlfriends relationship with her parents is like and I wouldn't want anything to break up those strong bonds. Especially not a scene in a film where millions of people can see her hoo haa's

Hey dalvin.. You see Garden state? In it you see Portman jump into a pool with her bra and undies. WET UNDIES!!!! you know what that means? People already could see the outline of her Yahooos. This stripper role will be just that. expect her to wear a little bit of cloths. Not nude but close to it.

And to not want to see portman nude.. what are you? Pitching for the other team now? What would your wife say?
Old 08-18-04, 04:13 PM
Retired

She said she wouldn't do nudity and it is possible she could be a stripper and not show anything. They could just cut away and never show her in less than underwear/lingere etc.

I really don't care one way or the other, it's not going to affect my opinion of her, which is fairly high since she still went to an Ivy league school even though she was rich and didn't need to go to college and try to better herself for financial reasons like most of us.
Old 08-18-04, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rivero
In fact, I guarantee you being in those films in some way influenced her to take on this role in an effort to shake off the kiddie image.
I don't think it's just that role. I can't recall a provocative role she has taken since Heat.
Old 08-18-04, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

From what I hear from studio reports and dailies is that this is not your ordinary strip club. It's one of those strange fetish places. You know, the type that put you in outfits you wouldn't normally see on people to please there sick fetish.

Oh my.. here's a on set picture. Alba, eat your heart out!

Old 08-18-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

All I can say about the potential of seeing Portman as a stripper

it sure as hell beats playing a knocked up trailer trash chick in a wal mart. That's all I gots to say 'bouts that!
Old 08-18-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by yecul
I doubt she'll be nude, but it would be fantastic if she was... actually, that'd probably be the only reason to see the movie.
You mean other than the great cast and incredibly talented director?
Old 08-18-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Salma Hayek played a stripper in 2 movies, neither of them was she nude. I wouldn't get my hopes up or in the original poster's case panties in a bunch, over this.
Old 08-18-04, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Get hopes up I will cause it's portman + stripper outfit + stripper pole = Goooood times.
Old 08-18-04, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
Saw the play a couple of years ago....pretty good. Been looking forward to this film for a while.

By the way...if there's any nudity....it will most likely be "male" (unless this film is loosely based on the original play).
Old 08-18-04, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw the trailer for this the other day on E.
Portman + stripper outfit + pole =
Old 08-18-04, 08:21 PM

I found the trailer a couple of weeks ago and I've watched a few times, I think the film could have a lot Oscar potential. Anyone else notice that Natalie has like ten different styles in the one trailer, but maybe I'm just being too observant.

Yes Jack I agree, Portman in a stripper outfit dancing on a stripper pole does = Goooooood Times, and I need no other reason to see this movie.
Though it does have an admirable director, wonderful cast and based on an acclaimed British play.

By the way, I also heard that there is going to no nudity either.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.