Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Pi by Darren Aronofsky -- brilliant!

Old 02-28-03, 10:48 AM
Banned

Pi by Darren Aronofsky -- brilliant!

Hey everyone, it's my first post here since I once posted as PhlaQ. Anyways... (Spoilers) I was watching Pi for the first time the other day, and the ending sort of confused me. Can somebody help me out? I was just wondering, basically, did Max die from the drill? And what was he trying to drill out? I couldn't quite figure out what that scar/lump was.

Thanks in advance, and I really loved the movie! Darren continues to impress me.
Old 02-28-03, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think he died.. he basically gave himself a partially lobotomy as far as I could tell.

Great movie though.
Old 08-15-04, 03:47 AM
Cool New Member

pi -- brilliant!

I just watched the film pi for the first time. Wow, you know how once in a while you see a film and you think "I've never seen anything like this"? This was one of those times. This is a grainy black-and-white film made on a shoestring budget, and yet it's completely riveting visually -- I kept grinning throughout the film, in fact, in reaction to the clever presentation and editing. This is the type of stuff you see in more recent films that I was explaining is so absent in the classic films I've seen, in the "Classic films are overrated" thread.

Anyway, considering I liked this so much, any other recommended films that share some similarities? The most obvious answer would be Requiem for a Dream, of course, and I bought that along with pi, I just wanted to watch the earlier film first.
Old 08-15-04, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think Jacobs Ladder and Eraserhead are comparible to the mood and story of Pi.

Another film I saw shortly after Pi that reminded me a lot of it was this Asian film that I think was called Tesuo: The Iron Man.
Old 08-15-04, 06:33 AM

When I saw this topic, I instantly thought "piss brilliant??? Is that a British phrase? Wonder what movie he is referring to?"

Just thought I'd share.

Oh yeah, btw, Darren Aronofsky kicked some a** with this film. If you liked his style, go rent/buy Requiem for a Dream
Old 08-15-04, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd also recommend the City of Lost Children and Delicatessen.

Last edited by joeydaninja; 08-15-04 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-15-04, 06:48 AM

I thought it was ok but for me, unike Jacob's Ladder and Delicatessen, it just didn't hold up to subsequent viewings (maybe if you space them out every 5-10 years it might be different ). I eventually ended up giving my copy to the library.
Old 08-15-04, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Pi by Darren Aronofsky -- brilliant!

Originally posted by opti
This is the type of stuff you see in more recent films that I was explaining is so absent in the classic films I've seen, in the "Classic films are overrated" thread.

Come back in another 30 years, and people will still be watching and dscussing those "classics" that you readily dismiss - I doubt of Pi will stand the test of time.

At least I wasn't bored, but I found it to be very self-indulgent and ultimately unsatisfying. It reminded me a lot of an all-nighter in college when you drink a lot and philosophize about everything, and it all seems brilliant at the time but in the morning....
Old 08-15-04, 07:28 AM

It was a good movie. It's also got a really interesting commentary track by Aronofsky, who spends a lot of time discussing how they were able to make the movie on such a small budget. Some of the anecdotes are really funny.
Old 08-15-04, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've seen it a few times and always enjoy it. Great movie.
Old 08-15-04, 08:04 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by joeydaninja
I'd also recommend the City of Lost Children and Delicatessen.
I saw City of Lost Children for the first time recently, it was the strangest movie I've ever seen. I have yet to see Delicatessen, unfortunately I don't think that one's available for rental anywhere nearby.
Old 08-15-04, 08:17 PM
Cool New Member

Re: Re: pi -- brilliant!

Originally posted by marty888
Come back in another 30 years, and people will still be watching and dscussing those "classics" that you readily dismiss - I doubt of Pi will stand the test of time.

At least I wasn't bored, but I found it to be very self-indulgent and ultimately unsatisfying. It reminded me a lot of an all-nighter in college when you drink a lot and philosophize about everything, and it all seems brilliant at the time but in the morning....
Maybe Pi will not stand the test of time; then again, there are many obscure Criterion releases that are unknown in the mainstream, but have stood the test of time in some way or another. Requiem for a Dream, on the other hand... I still haven't seen it (I do own it), but based on all the praise I've seen for that movie, I think people will still be watching it in 30 years.

A lot of the movie was very odd and didn't make a lot of sense, so I'll have to watch the director's commentary to see if it comes together more (I am reminded of the feature-length anime Perfect Blue, where you still aren't sure at the end what was real and what wasn't). But so much of a movie, to me, isn't about just what happens, but how it is presented. I just think this is a good example of a movie where, despite more technical limitations than most classics, it still does a lot of unique things with the presentation that they do not.

fwiw, what would you say are the top classic films you've seen, and what makes them good?
Old 08-16-04, 12:38 PM
Banned

I was going to recommend the Pi/Requiem double pack at circuit city that I saw yesterday for $15 but I see you already got both
Old 08-16-04, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by chemosh6969
I was going to recommend the Pi/Requiem double pack at circuit city that I saw yesterday for $15 but I see you already got both
I think its 13.99 for the double pack at Best Buy if I remember right.

Also question for anyone who has seen Pi. If I liked his work with Requiem For A Dream would I enjoy this movie?
Old 08-16-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: pi -- brilliant!

Originally posted by marty888

That's because you missed the point of the movie completely. The movie is not about answers to questions. It's basically about obsession with getting the answers. You seem to have the same problem like the main character. It's not about the answers, it's about the journey. Back to smoking my peace pipe.

I remember seeing this in the theater when it came out, being surrounded by all these professors/ intelligent crowd. I was about 21 at the time and the ticket seller was looking at me llike "what the hell are you doing here."
Old 08-16-04, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Re: pi -- brilliant!

Originally posted by purplechoe
That's because you missed the point of the movie completely. The movie is not about answers to questions. It's basically about obsession with getting the answers. You seem to have the same problem like the main character. It's not about the answers, it's about the journey. Back to smoking my peace pipe.

And what in my statement leads you to assume that I "missed the point of the movie completely"?

I wrote "At least I wasn't bored, but I found it to be very self-indulgent and ultimately unsatisfying."

Finding something self-indulgent and unsatisfying does NOT mean missing the point.

Just because someone does not appreciate a movie to the same extent that you do DOES NOT indicate a lack of understanding.

Last edited by marty888; 08-16-04 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-17-04, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by asianxcore
I think its 13.99 for the double pack at Best Buy if I remember right.

Also question for anyone who has seen Pi. If I liked his work with Requiem For A Dream would I enjoy this movie?
Tough to say. I liked them both, but I remember Pi being a little slower and more inrospective than the in-your-face, mtv style Requiem. But it's been awile since I've watched Pi.