Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

So, you want to play Clark Kent/Superman? REALLY? Here's your chance...

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-09-04, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tim Ryan at Portland Media Artists wrote:

Call for Actor to play SUPERMAN for Warner Bros. Feature

Pat Moran + Associates Casting (Emmy Award winner for HOMICIDE: Life on the Street) is part of a nation-wide search for an actor to portray Clark Kent / Superman in a new feature film for Warner Brothers.

The description of the role is: Late 20’s, tall, handsome, chiseled good looks. Athletic. Strong character. All American. Confident, yet awkward. Faster than a speeding bullet.

The film will be directed by Bryan Singer (X-MEN, USUAL SUSPECTS) and produced by Jon Peters & Gilbert Adler. No other cast has been announced yet.

Although Pat Moran + Associates are accepting open submissions from both actors and non-actors, auditions are by appointment only. Auditions will be held the week of August 16th through August 20th.

Anyone interested in auditioning for this starring role should send either a Headshot & Resume’, a model card, or a clear individual photograph of themselves to:

Pat Moran + Assoc.

ATTN: “Superman”

3500 Boston St., Suite 425

Baltimore, MD 21224

Photos should include: Name, Age & Phone Number(s). Photos are non-returnable. No phone calls to Pat Moran + Associates, please.

(This post thanks to NYBshow at Viewaskew.com)
Old 08-09-04, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah they are just gonna pick some random guy to star in the as the most famous superhero ever. I bet.
Old 08-09-04, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
yeah, no way this will have effect on casting.
Old 08-09-04, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Yeah, because Christopher Reeve was a household name before December, 1978.
Old 08-09-04, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Re: So, you want to play Clark Kent/Superman? REALLY? Here's your chance...

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
The description of the role is: Late 20’s, tall, handsome, chiseled good looks. Athletic. Strong character. All American. Confident, yet awkward. Faster than a speeding bullet.
Crap - there go my chances. :/ Who the hell are they going to find who is faster than a speeding bullet?? Why not just use special effects like everyone else? How low-budget is this piece of crap?
Old 08-09-04, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Comic book franchises are a lot different now a days compared to 1978.

Besides that, this and Batman are WB's flagship when it comes to their DC ownership. I mean come on, what better thing to do with that sub company then to use their characters. Might aswell make it count when they do use them.
Old 08-09-04, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Comic book franchises are a lot different now a days compared to 1978.

Besides that, this and Batman are WB's flagship when it comes to their DC ownership. I mean come on, what better thing to do with that sub company then to use their characters. Might aswell make it count when they do use them.
I dunno; there's certainly precedent for casting relative unknowns in comic book starring roles.

Wolverine
Hellboy
The Punisher (Thomas Jane had some notable roles, but people weren't exactly clamoring for "the next Thomas Jane flick.")
The Hulk -- Universal sank $140 million+ into a summer tentpole with a virtual unknown

An unknown actor can be locked into a multi-picture deal without breaking the bank, leaving millions for name supporting players, sfx, marketing, etc.. Throw in some major names for Lois Lane, Lex Luthor, Jor-El, etc. and there will be some namepower that will attract the public. To for why? Groin.

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 08-09-04 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-09-04, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
To for why? Groin.
Huh?
Old 08-09-04, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ryo, Jack... I couldn't be more surprised by your responses.

God help us if some unkown with, what, just a short stint on a soap opera got the part... oh wait!

How quickly ye do forget!

PLENTY of known actors still audition and screen test. That's the reality.
To for why? Groin.
I... understand. KILL!!!!!!
Old 08-09-04, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ryo, Jack... I couldn't be more surprised by your responses.

God help us if some unkown with, what, just a short stint on a soap opera got the part... oh wait!
Would it be nice? Sure. Is it possible for a studio like WB to bank on a unknown to star in their flagship franchise launching of one of their biggest properties? Not likely.
Old 08-09-04, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Would it be nice? Sure. Is it possible for a studio like WB to bank on a unknown to star in their flagship franchise launching of one of their biggest properties? Not likely.
Fox is a studio like WB.

Sure, there's tons of other characters in X-Men. But there's tons of established characters in Superman too. Get a name supporting cast and a star villain, you've got a self-selling picture.

Worked the first time. And that time a comic actor played Batman in 1989.
Old 08-09-04, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wolvie = part of a team
Superman = Man is entire film

Either way, Non established actor > total unknown from a open casting call.

Well I think it's better then the current rumor of having Smallville's supe get the role. Lets see how it pans out.
Old 08-09-04, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I dunno; there's certainly precedent for casting relative unknowns in comic book starring roles.

Wolverine
Hellboy
The Punisher (Thomas Jane had some notable roles, but people weren't exactly clamoring for "the next Thomas Jane flick.")
The Hulk -- Universal sank $140 million+ into a summer tentpole with a virtual unknown

An unknown actor can be locked into a multi-picture deal without breaking the bank, leaving millions for name supporting players, sfx, marketing, etc.. Throw in some major names for Lois Lane, Lex Luthor, Jor-El, etc. and there will be some namepower that will attract the public. To for why? Groin.
Yeah, but of all your examples, at least all the actors were just that actors. Thomas Jane, Eric Bana, Hugh Jackman, and Ron Perlman all were at least established actors, even if they weren't household names. Well maybe not Jackman who came over from Australia.

But it's not like they did a nationwide casting search. All one had to do was look at past films
Old 08-09-04, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Again, Jericho - established actors still audition and screen test too.
Old 08-09-04, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not if you're a Howard. Then you get it on the spot
Old 08-10-04, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I guess we know now that Superman won't be a character-driven story.
Old 08-10-04, 07:53 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm gonna do it! I'm the next Superman! I weigh 300 pounds, but if I start the Atkins diet now I can be buff just in time for filming!
Old 08-10-04, 07:56 AM
Banned

This reminds me of when they did a huge casting call for the role of Selina. Thousands upon thousands tried out....then they picked Jennifer Lopez. It's all just a publicity stunt. Total BS.
Old 08-10-04, 08:35 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Cool...I'll send out my headshot tomorrow.
Old 08-10-04, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Rivero
This reminds me of when they did a huge casting call for the role of Selina. Thousands upon thousands tried out....then they picked Jennifer Lopez. It's all just a publicity stunt. Total BS.
Jenny Lopez, who was pretty much no-one before that film came out...

... why do so many of you assume that only amateurs ever audition? It doesn't happen like that, kids.
Old 08-10-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rivero
Yeah, especially after the only two moderate sized things she did before Selena included In Living Color and Money Train. Yeeeah.
Old 08-10-04, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm confused at why people are thinking that this means some guy down the street whose never acted in his life is going to be able to go audition for Superman.
Old 08-10-04, 11:40 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Exactly. This will open the field to some lesser-known actors, who might be experienced but don't have the resumé yet to audition for the lead in a big-budget film.

Look at Edward Norton, he came out of nowhere to land an Oscar-nominated role in his screen debut.
Old 08-10-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by necros
I'm gonna do it! I'm the next Superman! I weigh 300 pounds, but if I start the Atkins diet now I can be buff just in time for filming!

[cartman]Beefcake!!Beefcake!!![/cartman]

I think a smaller actor might have a shot at this. I do agree that a total nobody with no acting experience will not get the job.

Maybe Tom Cruise

OK maybe not that small
Old 08-10-04, 12:49 PM

According to Ralph Garman on KROQ 106.7 in Los Angeles this morning, Tom Welling has been offered the role of Superman by the Bryan Singer. It's Toms for the taking.

Chris

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.