Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Singer Offers Tom Welling SUPERMAN role!!!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-06-04, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news04/040806c.php

This is GREAT news! The first positive news we've heard about the new Superman film in a long time...let's hope Tom accepts!
Old 08-06-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah, that was mentioned in the other Superman thread
Old 08-06-04, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very fitting casting. He already plays Superman on tv, so why not on the big screen?
Old 08-06-04, 03:58 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Long time over due for a superman movie. I still think Reeve was is will always be the best superman.
Old 08-06-04, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Fok
Long time over due for a superman movie. I still think Reeve was is will always be the best superman.
Same here, not only that but IMO he is still the greatest piece of comic book to movie casting ever done on film.

But Welling is the right choice for a new Superman so I'm all for this move.
Old 08-06-04, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Again I'll have to say it's too early. Let him finish his Smallville run, afterwhich he'll be so deep in the Superman mythos then cast him as Supes. But hey, if this pans out you know I'm there opening night.
Old 08-06-04, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by Sessa17
Same here, not only that but IMO he is still the greatest piece of comic book to movie casting ever done on film.
Has the making of a good thread (I didn't bother to search if it had already been done).

I'm inclined to agree with you on Reeve, though part of me wants to say Keaton was perfect for Batman as well. The difference being, for me, is where I expected Reeve to be good before seeing Superman, I never would've thought Keaton could pull of the Bat like he did.
Old 08-06-04, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Joem

I'm inclined to agree with you on Reeve, though part of me wants to say Keaton was perfect for Batman as well.
Keaton was awesom in the movie, but he is a terrible Batman. You have to look at how the actor can bring to life the source material. Bruce Wayne, is a super smooth, suave ladies man. Keaton, one of my all-time favorite actors, is rather dorky looking & even in Batman, balding. Plus who could believe that Keaton could kick-ass. Reeves was a huge guy, a body builder at the time, look EXACTLY like the boyscott All-american superhero, yet was so good as the bumbling nerd-like Kent.
Old 08-06-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Not much of a fan of smallville. So pretty much at this point it's a Smallvile movie, so to speak.

I'll still watch. I have no real idea who else could really play superman
Old 08-06-04, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Sessa17
Reeves was a huge guy, a body builder at the time, look EXACTLY like the boyscott All-american superhero, yet was so good as the bumbling nerd-like Kent.
Reeve, while always tall, was pretty scrawny when they cast him.
he went thru an intensive work out regimen to fill out the suit better.

i never used to be that big on Welling, but he's gaining his chops on the weekly grind of the tv series and by the end of the run should be more seasoned.
with a haircut and adopting a more adult demeanor, he should come off well.

I'm sure WB would love to see him cast in the role. Much like Leo with Titanic, he would bring in scores of girls and give the film a lot of potential of reaching the more than just the usual suspects in terms of moviegoers.

i would love to see continuity with the tv series (as opposed to the Reeve movies).
there is great opportunity there to build on the exposition thats possible with 80+ hour shows, that you just can't do in the typical 20-30 first act of a film.

but if he doesn't get cast then its back to square one.
no need to refernce the series at all in that case

Last edited by ckolchak; 08-06-04 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-06-04, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why is this great news? Tom Welling plays Clark Kent as a whiney little bitch. Also, I dont want my Superman to have the crappy teeth that Tom has. He's not called the MAN OF STEEL because he wears braces!
Old 08-06-04, 09:50 PM

I'm not convinced he is the best choice either.
Old 08-06-04, 09:52 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Not good. It'd turn into a world's collide kinda thing unless it's a "Smallville the Movie" which is still too early in the show's run to have. A new Superman movie to kick off a franchise needs to be it's own entity. (only casting i'd hope for is someone who can match up with Christian Bale for the eventual versus/teamup...one can dream right?)

IMO of course.
Old 08-06-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
Awesome news!!!!!

Old 08-06-04, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Might as well get the guy who plays Lex on Smallville for the movie as well.

One down side, when are they planing on making this Superman movie? Smallville is still on, once they make a Superman movie, it is sort of hard to go back to making Smallville. They'd have to alter Clark's looks to make him several years older.
Old 08-06-04, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Milllion times better choice than Josh Hartnett
Old 08-07-04, 09:31 AM
Banned

I happen to think this is shitty news. I don't need to be reminded of that asinine show.
Old 08-07-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Rivero
I happen to think this is shitty news. I don't need to be reminded of that asinine show.
(For that matter, you don't need to threadcrap, either.)

I wonder if there are any contractual issues that might prevent Welling from doing a non-Smallville Superman role.
Old 08-07-04, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by marty888

I wonder if there are any contractual issues that might prevent Welling from doing a non-Smallville Superman role.
Not necessarily thread crap. It isn't good news. It takes away from the movie and pretty much kills the show.

If they get all the actors from the show then its a Smallville movie. I was hoping for some of the rumors like Johnny Depp being involved as either Luthor or Jor-El.

I know it is hard to pick someone to fill those shoes that Reeve did so well. Jim Caviezel who is another contender for the role said he would not go back and look at the movies if he was chosen.
Old 08-07-04, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 08-07-04, 10:55 AM
Banned

Originally posted by marty888
How the hell was that a threadcap? Shannon posted the news, I gave my opinion on it. Jesus.
Old 08-07-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 167 Posts
Tom Welling is 27 years old--he's closer to Superman than Superboy anyway

How old was Dean Cain when he started?
Old 08-07-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Rivero
How the hell was that a threadcap? Shannon posted the news, I gave my opinion on it. Jesus.
The thread is about the casting of a movie. Commenting that the Smallville TV show is asinine is a topic you can start in the TV forum if you are so inclined.
Old 08-07-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
the problem is he still represents superboy on tv. He's still tagged as smallville materal and that can really screw things up going from movie to tv show again.

It would have been better to go with someone else on this and keep the two projects apart from each other because now it really is just smallville the movie. oh well.
Old 08-07-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 167 Posts
I don't think he'll take it.

From everything we've read about him, he's always made it a point to say that he accepted Smallville bacuse there's "no tights, no flying"

Doing the movie would undo that stance--but money talks

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.