Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

No more Superheros Halley Berry, unless its catwoman again?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

No more Superheros Halley Berry, unless its catwoman again?

Old 08-05-04, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by chente
Do you realize how ridiculous you sound? You have never met the woman and are judging her based on he word of someone else, presumably you have never met. You have no idea of the context or reason for his claims yet you blindly accept them. It is seriously getting old.
He's told the story before. I believe Jack. Why is it so hard to believe she is a bitch?
Old 08-05-04, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Regardless of me meeting her, her actions in the public eye itself should be grounds for anyone to feel they dislike her. From her "hit and run" era to breaking down the gates and proclaiming herself freer of all those who have already had a film career to her actions in catwomen. people have a right to like or hate whoever they want.

A lot of you seem to HATE freedom of speech.. or freedom of hate.
Old 08-05-04, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,904 Likes on 1,168 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
... She gets roles because she "broke down the gates and freed all the half whites" in the film industry.

.....That and folks like Giantrobo cream over her on screen.

That first statement is messed up Jack was she or was she not the first person of color to win an Oscar in that specific category? You guys can complain all you want but to Blacks it WAS a ****in' BIG DEAL. It was the first time the 74 + years of the AW that Black Actress won that category.

You can play games with her race if you want to. To the World she's black. That's how narrow minded many are. Just like Tiger Woods. Jack besides her being a bitch, like I said I understand your beef, why are you still complaining about her statement? You're not even white. But I forget you ARE a member of the Academy so I guess you didn't want your membership tarnished by the fact the Academy has past over Blacks in that category for many years.

It seems to me whites wanted her to take her win, go home, and shut up about it. **** THAT!. If it were the first Asian to win in that category, Hispanic, Mid Eastern, or whatever if it was the first person then they should be proud.

As far as the second statement, It's funny I never really found her to be all that pretty. But she's by no means ugly. So I've never "creamed myself" to her. But who knows, maybe i'm missing something? Maybe I'll break out my copy of Monster's Ball and drain my monster balls.......

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-05-04 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-05-04, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't like Halle because she acts high and mighty and superior with nothing to back it up.

Her role in X-Men 1 & 2? Sucked. Swordfish? Sucked. Latest James Bond? Sucked. Catwoman? Mega sucked. Her only decent role was Monster's Ball.
Old 08-05-04, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Brain Stew
I don't like Halle because she acts high and mighty and superior with nothing to back it up.

Her role in X-Men 1 & 2? Sucked. Swordfish? Sucked. Latest James Bond? Sucked. Catwoman? Mega sucked. Her only decent role was Monster's Ball.
Ok, Brian Stew fair enough. I guess she should "stay in her place".

Did you see her play Dorothy Dandridge? Most agree she kicked ass. What about Losing Isaiah? Antother good role.
Old 08-05-04, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Giantrobo
Ok, Brian Stew fair enough. I guess she should "stay in her place".

Did you see her play Dorothy Dandridge? Most agree she kicked ass. What about Losing Isaiah? Antother good role.
I will agree that Losing Isaiah is sad . I forgot about that. That just goes to show that she is squandering her talent on movies like Gothika.

I don't know who's to blame, the people making these bad movies, the studios for suggesting that she be in all these bad movies or Halle for taking them. I understand that as Wu-Tang said, "Cash Rules Everything Around Me," but if she truly is an artist she may want to scale back her performances and try something more low key like Monster's Ball.

Or she may want to strike while the Iron is hot and make that Jinx movie. Hollywood does what Hollywood wants.
Old 08-05-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
You're not even white.
I think that's the point. As a minority, I don't want that to be the focus of any acting role or any job I get. I don't place the race card. If you have the talent then by all means you get the job. I don't want to get a job simply because I may fill the minority quota. I'm glad Benicio Del Toro didn't go up on stage and praise his homies and proclaim how he broke down the gates for the dog face boy's Brothers down in Cell block 6 or the chavalas on 1st street to finally break it on the big screen.

Notice that the other african american winner that year wanted to stay as far away from the race card as possible? Then again Charlize Theron won this last year.. so I guess Halle was right and she did open those gates for South Africans
The point was Denzel Washington didn't feel the need to play the race card. I'm sure Nicole Kidman didn't play the aussie card when she won.

Acting should be about acting. The awards should reflect that. If there isn't enough roles for those minorities then guess what, Tough luck. Her winning wasn't going to create more roles. It was just going to put her in all of the possible roles for the next few years leaving out any other potential up and comers. How many indians, mexicans, asian actors do you see? compared to african americans, that is the more unrepresented group on film. Infact, if you see any specific inner city film you will see the same 3 mexican gangsters in them because they are always the same go to guys for that sort of scene. But the point is if one of them won do you think they will be proclaiming themselves the moses of their race, leading their people to the promise land of film roles?

Being proud is one thing. Being a loud mouth inflated ego'ed chick is another.
Old 08-05-04, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How about a sequel to Monster's Ball where she becomes a Superhero?
Old 08-05-04, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think that's the point. As a minority, I don't want that to be the focus of any acting role or any job I get. I don't place the race card. If you have the talent then by all means you get the job. I don't want to get a job simply because I may fill the minority quota. I'm glad Benicio Del Toro didn't go up on stage and praise his homies and proclaim how he broke down the gates for the dog face boy's Brothers down in Cell block 6 or the chavalas on 1st street to finally break it on the big screen.

Notice that the other african american winner that year wanted to stay as far away from the race card as possible? Then again Charlize Theron won this last year.. so I guess Halle was right and she did open those gates for South Africans
The point was Denzel Washington didn't feel the need to play the race card. I'm sure Nicole Kidman didn't play the aussie card when she won.

Acting should be about acting. The awards should reflect that. If there isn't enough roles for those minorities then guess what, Tough luck. Her winning wasn't going to create more roles. It was just going to put her in all of the possible roles for the next few years leaving out any other potential up and comers. How many indians, mexicans, asian actors do you see? compared to african americans, that is the more unrepresented group on film. Infact, if you see any specific inner city film you will see the same 3 mexican gangsters in them because they are always the same go to guys for that sort of scene. But the point is if one of them won do you think they will be proclaiming themselves the moses of their race, leading their people to the promise land of film roles?

Hey, I don't play the race card either but you halle haters have....

Of course it's about acting! However, you guys say she won ONLY because she's black. You can't have it both ways Jack. I also find it interesting that you make a big deal about how it's not about race then you proceed to explain to me how under represented Mexicans are in movies.

The reality is blacks have long watched good actresses playing great roles get passed over in that category and finally Halle made it. She had every right to be happy and say what she said whether you like it or not. You say Denzel didn't play the race card but I garadamtee you he was a happy black man who knew the importance of winning that Oscar for black actors. But I guess since he was "Good Niggah" and waited til he got home to be happy that makes him "ok" for the rest of you right? Bullshit!

The more black actors who at least get nomitaed and the occasional few that win make it easier for blacks to get GOOD SCRIPTS, whether they take them or not. It also makes it easier for the Academy folks to choose black actors NOT BECAUSE THEY'RE BLACK, but because they will have an easier time of noticing them in certain well played roles.
Old 08-05-04, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think that's the point. As a minority, I don't want that to be the focus of any acting role or any job I get. I don't place the race card. If you have the talent then by all means you get the job. I don't want to get a job simply because I may fill the minority quota.
I agree with you here as long as the game isn't fixed. As an aside here, I was recently watching Don Knotts Shakiest Gun in the West when I noticed a cameo by Pat Morita. He was playing a chinese store worker that would nod incessantly and then every once in a while drop to his knees to kiss someone's feet. It was uncomfortable to watch. If you don't get the roles, you can't get nominated.

I'm glad Benicio Del Toro didn't go up on stage and praise his homies and proclaim how he broke down the gates for the dog face boy's Brothers down in Cell block 6 or the chavalas on 1st street to finally break it on the big screen.
Interesting. Halle Berry lauds Dorothy Dandridge, Lena Horne, Diahann Carroll and you are comparing that to Del Toro not mentioning convicts or streetwalkers on 1st street.

The point was Denzel Washington didn't feel the need to play the race card. I'm sure Nicole Kidman didn't play the aussie card when she won. Acting should be about acting. The awards should reflect that. If there isn't enough roles for those minorities then guess what, Tough luck. Her winning wasn't going to create more roles. It was just going to put her in all of the possible roles for the next few years leaving out any other potential up and comers. How many indians, mexicans, asian actors do you see? compared to african americans, that is the more unrepresented group on film. Infact, if you see any specific inner city film you will see the same 3 mexican gangsters in them because they are always the same go to guys for that sort of scene. But the point is if one of them won do you think they will be proclaiming themselves the moses of their race, leading their people to the promise land of film roles?

Historically in Hollywood there have been very few minority leading actors. That isn't going to change until the stereotypical casting stops. I'm just as tired as you of seeing Mexican Gangsters as the only role hispanics get in the movies. I'm also sick of seeing movies like Soul Plane being the only movies greenlighted starring Blacks. You say that if there aren't enough roles, tough luck. That is exactly the point, we now have a black woman starring solo in a movie and it's even an action one. That is breaking barriers even if you don't want to admit it. Is she a great actress? No. Will her her efforts make an impact on future casting directors? I don't know but I hope so.
Old 08-05-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Interesting. Halle Berry lauds Dorothy Dandridge, Lena Horne, Diahann Carroll and you are comparing that to Del Toro not mentioning convicts or streetwalkers on 1st street.
Well you know what I mean. Ok, to make it a fair comparisson lets say this. You didn't see him up there respecting Pedro Infante or the great work of Cantinflas. Nor did you see him bring up the race card.

as for the minority roles. The films are being made for a reason. You may see a minority step up to the bat every now and then and represent the whole. But by no means does that minority feel that the weight of breaking down any gates is on them. Especially to add that amount of stress. How well did catwomen have to do in order for more african american roles to be created?

I really don't see halle as that Neo spear heading any change anytime soon. If anything she will just fill in those type cast roles that could have gone to any number of different african american up and comers simply because she has oscar gold.

However, you guys say she won ONLY because she's black. You can't have it both ways Jack
I never said she only won because she was black. I think race has nothing to do with that.. But she did bring it up a lot while her other african american nominee didn't want anything to do with it. Did halle act well in that film? Sure, she did.

Denzel didn't play the race card but I garadamtee you he was a happy black man who knew the importance of winning that Oscar for black actors. But I guess since he was "Good Niggah" and waited til he got home to be happy that makes him "ok" for the rest of you right? Bullshit!
One thing is to play the race card before the award. My god, how much were they hyping that it was two african americans on the bill that night? It was media hype and Halle ate it up, grabbed the ball and ran with it and beat it into the ground so much more. Think Art Bell and Y2K. yeah.. that much.

All I'm saying is her head was filled with so much air because of that hype that she thought she was the queen of the world and it hasn't been deflated since. Well perhaps the bomb that is catwomen brought her back down to reality in that not everything she touches turns to gold.

When I did meet her I didn't have any hate for her. I thought she was a bit cocky because of the oscar gold but I expect that from anyone who touches the award. But no, she was far worse then I would have even dreamed to imagine. So much that it left a very bad taste in my mouth.

I just don't see the need to proclaim yourself so hot that you are above everything else. I just don't like to be called a bigot because I feel the race card was pulled by Halle. Was the race card the reason she won? I really don't know nor do I care to guess. Could she have won if I was completely color blind and based off her acting alone. Yes. She did a good "oscar" performance in monsters ball. The same way I feel Sean Penn did a good "oscar" performance in mystic river. You show a little tears here and there and you scream something about your dead husband/daughter/fill in the blanks/ and you got yourself the god.

You know what I mean. she did a good performance and deserved the award REGARDLESS of the race card, which didn't need to be played, but was sure the hell stamped into all our minds.
Old 08-05-04, 03:25 PM

Well you know what I mean. Ok, to make it a fair comparisson lets say this. You didn't see him up there respecting Pedro Infante or the great work of Cantinflas. Nor did you see him bring up the race card.
These are Mexican actors doing films in Mexico. Cantinflas crossed over a bit here but not really. There really isn't a comparison.

as for the minority roles. The films are being made for a reason. You may see a minority step up to the bat every now and then and represent the whole. But by no means does that minority feel that the weight of breaking down any gates is on them. Especially to add that amount of stress. How well did catwomen have to do in order for more african american roles to be created?
The films are being made because of the feeling that these are the only kinds of films that are marketable and that minorities want to see. They don't give us a lot of credit. Really no actor has the kind of clout to pick and chose their roles until they have a successful hit. To use your language, they can't "step up to the plate" if they can't get the roles.

I really don't see halle as that Neo spear heading any change anytime soon. If anything she will just fill in those type cast roles that could have gone to any number of different african american up and comers simply because she has oscar gold.
I'm not defending Catwoman which I've seen and think was poor but you have to admit this is a new type of role for black woman. In that sense she is leading the way. I had hoped it would do better so that Hollywood would start thinking more outside the box for which movies to develop and who to cast but it's not likely too. Having seen the movie, I can assure you that Halle isn't the worst thing in the movie. The plot, direction and special effects are much worse than her acting.

Last edited by chente; 08-05-04 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-05-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well.. Alien Vs Predator has an african american women playing the lead Human character.. That's something.. eh.. eh eh?
Old 08-05-04, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Giantrobo
You say Denzel didn't play the race card but I garadamtee you he was a happy black man who knew the importance of winning that Oscar for black actors. But I guess since he was "Good Niggah" and waited til he got home to be happy that makes him "ok" for the rest of you right? Bullshit!
A man who already had an Oscar and who had been nominated three other times? If there was a barrier keeping the black man down, it had been torn down a while ago. This wasn't a huge moment for blacks.
Old 08-05-04, 08:14 PM

Speaking of the race card. Why was Will Smith cast as Jim West for that Wild Wild West movie and if race had nothing to do with the role why was race mentioned throughout the film?
Old 08-05-04, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Ruderic
Speaking of the race card. Why was Will Smith cast as Jim West for that Wild Wild West movie and if race had nothing to do with the role why was race mentioned throughout the film?
The movie was re-written several times to make it funnier. These re-writes (including refrences to race) probably were added after Smith was cast.
Old 08-05-04, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally I think Halle's Oscar speech was about as offensive as James Cameron's speech...i.e. not at all. She said something that is, in some ways true, in a moment of elation over winning an award.

Listen, we can all hate and say these things all day long. But I'll be honest...there's no celebrity that I just hate hate. Quite frankly it boggles my mind how people hate people they've never met, never did anything to them, and barely know anything about. Reading interviews or seeing how someone acted to a few people, in my experience, is not a good way to really judge someone, and hardly a good defense for hating someone.

And it's not about making fun of her or saying I don't like her. We all do that. It's about the fact that people go way beyond that, don't even try to be funny when saying shit about her, and pretty much berate her for everything she does without making any sense. She sucked as Storm! But she's a bitch for not doing the next movie! I mean seriously how can you say the first, and say the second also?

It's just slightly annoying that we can't have a thread relating to Halle Berry without uninteresting put downs, comments like "whore" and "bitch" that aren't even witty, and practically people wishing she would die. We had a "why I hate Halle Berry" thread, why not keep it there.

But again...it just boggles my mind why anyone would hate a celebrity they don't even know. I guess i just save my strong emotions for real people who actually do real things.

Much like how I could care less about the politics that these actors hold, I pretty much could care less what type of person they are either. I mean, not even Uwe Boll gets Halle type hate...seriously.
Old 08-05-04, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by jaeufraser
Personally I think Halle's Oscar speech was about as offensive as James Cameron's speech...i.e. not at all. She said something that is, in some ways true, in a moment of elation over winning an award.

Listen, we can all hate and say these things all day long. But I'll be honest...there's no celebrity that I just hate hate. Quite frankly it boggles my mind how people hate people they've never met, never did anything to them, and barely know anything about. Reading interviews or seeing how someone acted to a few people, in my experience, is not a good way to really judge someone, and hardly a good defense for hating someone.

And it's not about making fun of her or saying I don't like her. We all do that. It's about the fact that people go way beyond that, don't even try to be funny when saying shit about her, and pretty much berate her for everything she does without making any sense. She sucked as Storm! But she's a bitch for not doing the next movie! I mean seriously how can you say the first, and say the second also?

It's just slightly annoying that we can't have a thread relating to Halle Berry without uninteresting put downs, comments like "whore" and "bitch" that aren't even witty, and practically people wishing she would die. We had a "why I hate Halle Berry" thread, why not keep it there.

But again...it just boggles my mind why anyone would hate a celebrity they don't even know. I guess i just save my strong emotions for real people who actually do real things.

Much like how I could care less about the politics that these actors hold, I pretty much could care less what type of person they are either. I mean, not even Uwe Boll gets Halle type hate...seriously.
She sucked in X-Men and she was a bitch for thinking she's too good to do a supporting role.

Why don't you stand up for Uwe Boll like you do with Halle?
Old 08-05-04, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

But again...it just boggles my mind why anyone would hate a celebrity they don't even know.
*ahem*
Old 08-05-04, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by RyoHazuki
She sucked in X-Men and she was a bitch for thinking she's too good to do a supporting role.

Why don't you stand up for Uwe Boll like you do with Halle?
Sure. Uwe Boll is a terrible filmmaker, but I don't think he's an ass bitch mofo who deserves to die. Actually his movies are so bad I look forward to the next one.

And quite frankly...I think it's beyond stupid to think someone is a bitch for not wanting to play Storm, a poorly written, time expensive role that does little to challenge or promote a person's career. I mean come on! Why, why, why, why do you think acting is a humanitarian requirement? I'm sorry but no one will ever be able to sway me the logic of that argument. It is the reason I'm defending Halle. Because that argument goes beyond being funny, beyond making sense, and is just really damn stupid. If you want her out of the role, you should be happy she doesn't want to do it.

Let's be real here...you're the one who has applied the connotation of "too good to do the role" as a negative. For some reason, I bet Halle's decision was based more on her not wanting to waste 6 months and having better opportunities than a thankless role. But for some reason, actor's aren't supposed to make rational, normal decisions and are supposed to instead do movies because...well...who knows why.

Instead...why don't you make a good argument why she should do this movie? Like a real one...not fantasy land fanboy world where actors do movies out of charity, but in the real world where actors are human beings.
Old 08-05-04, 10:57 PM

*ahem*
Jack you're exempted from my complaints. I just can't write "except Jack" in every post I write. I'll get carpal tunnel at this pace.

Though you have to admit, fanboy animosity at times is just ridiculous. I mean, having a personal experience with someone can and surely does help form opinions. But most people who hate Halle, or many other actors and actresses do so without a good reason in the world and aren't making comments with the intent of being funny, or anything. It's just silly hatred blocked by the safety of the computer screen. While I will defend your opinion all day long, and surely anyone who dislikes her for her many junky movies, I can't defend anyone who throws around vitrolic hatred for no apperent reason. I mean do you Jack hate anyone so badly that you've never met, and just acts in movies that you don't even want to see?

Nonetheless, I do enjoy arguing the Halle topic. It's just so obvious to me why this is inanely silly, but of course, I suppose arguing against people bashing Halle has about as much effect as arguing against people not liking a pg-13 rating.
Old 08-05-04, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And quite frankly...I think it's beyond stupid to think someone is a bitch for not wanting to play Storm, a poorly written, time expensive role that does little to challenge or promote a person's career.

She'd do this again before she'd be in X-men 3. Bitch. I don't want to kill her. I just think she's a bitch.
Old 08-05-04, 11:21 PM

She'd do this again before she'd be in X-men 3. Bitch. I don't want to kill her. I just think she's a bitch.
Ohh so I see. You don't like her movies, THAT'S why you think she's a bitch. Yes, that makes more sense.

When you turn down a good job to go work a job you don't want to do, pays less, takes just as long and basically offers no challenges as or anything to entice you...ok. Check out a thing called opportunity cost, apply it to her situation, and just think about it. Or, don't even bother...it's pointless, you hate her, it's silly, but I don't really think I can change your mind.
Old 08-05-04, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When you turn down a good job to go work a job you don't want to do, pays less, takes just as long and basically offers no challenges as or anything to entice you...ok. Check out a thing called opportunity cost, apply it to her situation, and just think about it. Or, don't even bother...it's pointless, you hate her, it's silly, but I don't really think I can change your mind.
A Catwoman sequel would require more filming time for Halle than X-3. Neither would be a challenging role but at least X-3 wouldn't be a crapfest. She obviously wanted to do the first two X-Men. Now she's too cool for all of that.

Catwoman is a bigger paycheck and a starring role. Halle's ego wins.

I doubt you'll change my mind but you are welcome to keep trying.
Old 08-05-04, 11:44 PM

A Catwoman sequel would require more filming time for Halle than X-3. Neither would be a challenging role but at least X-3 wouldn't be a crapfest. She obviously wanted to do the first two X-Men. Now she's too cool for all of that.

Catwoman is a bigger paycheck and a starring role. Halle's ego wins.

I doubt you'll change my mind but you are welcome to keep trying.
I'm not going to bother. Sometimes, when the opposing argument is just so blindly silly, it's just pointless to argue.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.