DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Has there ever been a film (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/378141-has-there-ever-been-film.html)

duff beer 08-03-04 02:26 AM

Has there ever been a film

A true film (no documentary or other) that had no conflict of any form whatsoever?

Big Quasimodo 08-03-04 03:09 AM

The Old Man and the Sea?

Goat3001 08-03-04 03:34 AM

There can't be a story without conflict. That includes the Old Man and the Sea.

Big Quasimodo 08-03-04 05:01 AM

Shawshank Redemption?

Big Quasimodo 08-03-04 05:02 AM

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Crocker Jarmen 08-03-04 05:26 AM

I recall My Dinner With Andre being pretty restrained. Other than the scene where the waiter tries to rob them, almost nothing conflicting happens in it.

Big Quasimodo 08-03-04 05:46 AM

Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
I recall My Dinner With Andre being pretty restrained. Other than the scene where the waiter tries to rob them, almost nothing conflicting happens in it.
It's restrained, but the conflict is present throughout. The nature of the conversation between Andre and Wallace is often contrarian and heated.

How about Rocky 3?

Tandem 08-03-04 08:40 AM

Teletubbies: Funny Day

In this installment, the colorful teletubbies have lots of fun. Tinky Winky, Po, La La, and Dipsy blow bubbles, finger paint, unravel a ball of twine, play musical seats, entertain a cloud that has floated indoors, and much more. Lots of messes and silly activities will keep the under-four crowd highly entertained.

John-In-VA 08-03-04 08:53 AM

I just watched Before Sunrise the other day and I can't recall any conflict in that one.

coladar 08-03-04 08:53 AM

Originally posted by Tandem
Teletubbies: Funny Day
Ah yes, that timeless classic! But as the honorable Jerry Falwell would point out, throughout the entire movie there is the inner conflict brewing in Tinky Winky regarding his repressed sexuality.

In serious reply to the question, I'm sure there are probably quite a few comedies and otherwise that didn't have any prominent conflict involved. I've never seen a Cheech and Chong movie, but I picture something along those lines. An off-the wall film is about the only place I could picture there being any complete lack of conflict.

If by "true film" you exclude zany movies without much of a plot, then probably not. There have to be at least a couple, but they were probably so forgettable with the abscence of conflict that no one here would remember them.

rabbit77 08-03-04 09:36 AM

Originally posted by John-In-VA
I just watched Before Sunrise the other day and I can't recall any conflict in that one.
Man vs. Self - Should Julie Delpy get off the train and spend the day with the American stranger?

Man vs. Man - Convincing the bartender to sell them a bottle of wine at a discount

Man vs. Nature - We only have one day to spend with each other. Let's make the most of it! We're history before sunrise!

Groucho 08-03-04 09:38 AM

My chief complaint with Il Postino is that there's no conflict. Everything the protagonist sets out to do, he does with no problem or obstacles whatsoever.

Shannon Nutt 08-03-04 10:50 AM

Return of the Jedi?
http://www.jedicruces.cl/episode6/fotos/roj22.jpg
"There Is NO CONFLICT!"

tasha99 08-03-04 10:35 PM

Originally posted by Big Quasimodo
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
:p

I get a stomach ache just watching that one.

tasha

Tarantino 08-04-04 12:41 AM

Napoleon Dynamite?

Matthew Chmiel 08-04-04 01:07 AM

Originally posted by Tarantino
Napoleon Dynamite?
Man Vs. Man: Napoleon trying to get rid of Uncle Rico? Pedro vs. Summer in the school presidency?

dynamiteovaries 08-04-04 11:08 AM

The closest I can think of:

My Dinner with Andre
Orgy of the Dead
Waking Life
Swimming to Cambodia
Blue (Jarman)
Thirteen Conversations About One Thing
The Phantom of Liberty

majorjoe23 08-04-04 12:35 PM

Empire by Andy Warhol. It's just an eight-hour shot of a building.

Iron Chef 08-04-04 01:35 PM

Originally posted by majorjoe23
Empire by Andy Warhol. It's just an eight-hour shot of a building.
The building hates the sidewalk.

Jazzbutcher 08-04-04 05:23 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
My chief complaint with Il Postino is that there's no conflict. Everything the protagonist sets out to do, he does with no problem or obstacles whatsoever.
Spoiler:
Until he gets killed, of course.

duff beer 01-16-05 01:54 AM

So all we have is Empire?!

I think even that is conflicting in itself, the very name Empire has conflict growing out of it and around it.

FinkPish 01-16-05 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by duff beer
So all we have is Empire?!

I think even that is conflicting in itself, the very name Empire has conflict growing out of it and around it.

Since Empire has no plot, I would have a hard time calling it a "true film," as you specified in your original post, so I doubt it could qualify (I assume by true film you mean a movie with a plot and characters).

I think the closest thing to a conflict-less film is Il Postino.

FinkPish 01-16-05 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by The Cow
The Sound of Music.

Nazis, Captain Von Trapp vs. Maria, the kids against Maria at the beginning, etc.

Michael Corvin 01-16-05 02:57 AM

The Gods Must Be Crazy unless you count Man vs. Coke bottle conflict.

Cameron 01-16-05 03:04 AM

all these movies are over in the adult forum