Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about SW:ATOC re: Yoda

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-04, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I was discussing this movie with a friend of mine the other day, and something came up that I'd never considered.

The fight scene where Yoda jumps around with the lightsaber - that's supposed to be funny, right? I'm mean, I'm not supposed to watch that and get a hard-on for what a great fighter Yoda is. It looks like a monkey jumping around with a glo-stick.

Not trying to troll, but I honestly never considered the possibility that that little moment was supposed to be anything other than humorous.
Old 08-02-04, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
ATOC?

Attack The Of Clones?

Yeah, that's how Yoda would say it

I think the official explanation was that Yoda is frog-like and he's built for jumping, leaping. That's natural to him.

Walking is unnatural and awkward, hence the walking stick.
Old 08-02-04, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did any of you guys visualize Yoda fighting like that before AOTC?

When I saw TESB as a kid I don't think I even imagined him fighting with a lightsaber. Just that he was 'great'. And he sounded like Grover so I wanted to pet him.
Old 08-02-04, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I saw it on opening night, all the 30 year-old men dressed as jedis went wild with applause at the scene. I, like you, was giggling. I think it was intended to be rousing (and apparently was to many), but did come off as somewhat silly.
Old 08-03-04, 12:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I saw it on opening night,
Nerd!
Old 08-03-04, 12:17 AM

The parts where he just shunts off Dooku's lightning attacks like they're nothing and his sweet draw of the saber make up for any sillyness portrayed in the lightsaber duel.
Old 08-03-04, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Eh, I thought he kicked some major ass even if it was a little green thing jumpy around.

I bet he can kick my ass.
Old 08-03-04, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I laughed during that scene and was listening for a laugh track that never appeared.

I thought it was dumb although I thought the whole muppet idea even in the original movies was weak.
Old 08-03-04, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even though I didn't enjoy it in the kick ass sense it was a gazillion times better than 'Yo da Man!' To this day I still don't know what the hell that means.
Old 08-03-04, 02:24 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
If Yoda's scene with the lightsaber was supposed to be as kick-ass as it seems to have been intended,

then it was too little. Not enough.

Same with Anakin fighting with two lightsabers. It happens to quick for anything special.

I guess, the bottom line is we have YET to have seen any of Anakin's potential that Obi Wan describes in Episode IV.
Old 08-03-04, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I guess, the bottom line is we have YET to have seen any of Anakin's potential that Obi Wan describes in Episode IV.
And you wonder why expectations are so high? It's been so many years in the making. Much like we were expecting this almighty clone war
Old 08-03-04, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well I thought it was pretty great. I mean, it's Star Wars, and it looked great. I suppose for some there's no way Yoda fighting period would be cool, but hey...if Yoda did fight, it'd prolly look like that.

So a big thumbs up by me. I was entertained. One of the better moments in the film.
Old 08-03-04, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did anyone see new Darth Vader pics? I saw it on another forum but wasn't sure if they were legit.

It showed Darth Vader and the crew around him with George Lucas in front of a blue screen. He looked kind of skinny and a little different then I was used to seeing. He looked like a low carb Darth Vader.
Old 08-03-04, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

wow, who would have thunk it that Vader would look different in a film that takes place decades apart. no way would I have figured he would change...
Old 08-03-04, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Debaser
He looked like a low carb Darth Vader.
I wonder if he used the Subway diet or Atkins.
Old 08-03-04, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Blue milk is made by Atkins.
Old 08-03-04, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Blue milk is made by Atkins.
Does that come in 1%?
Old 08-03-04, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Can I get the blue milk in a soy substitute?
Old 08-03-04, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sure and Starbuck's on the Imperial Star Destroyers now have Blue Milk frappachino's.

In between chasing the rebellion Darth Vader likes to enjoy a relaxing game of basketball and shows how he's still 'Dark Lord of the Sith' as he dunks on Imperial Officers and schools bounty hunters. He takes pride in his Force blocked shots and Force rebounds having an uncanny sense of where the ball will end up.

After a competitve game Darth quenches his thirst with Gatorade Blue Milk replacing essential vitamins, minerals, and midicholorians.
Old 08-03-04, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Did any of you guys visualize Yoda fighting like that before AOTC?

When I saw TESB as a kid I don't think I even imagined him fighting with a lightsaber. Just that he was 'great'. And he sounded like Grover so I wanted to pet him.
Funniest. Post. Ever.
Old 08-03-04, 09:57 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did anyone see new Darth Vader pics? I saw it on another forum but wasn't sure if they were legit.

It showed Darth Vader and the crew around him with George Lucas in front of a blue screen. He looked kind of skinny and a little different then I was used to seeing. He looked like a low carb Darth Vader.
For some reason this makes me imagine an embarrassing scene where the once svelte Vader has to go in to the Imperial tailor and have his suit upsized. Getting measured. [vader voice]It's a little tight in the mid-section.[/vader voice]
Old 08-03-04, 10:21 AM
Banned

Old 08-03-04, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by jeffkjoe
Same with Anakin fighting with two lightsabers. It happens to quick for anything special.
I may just have been me, but I noticed something while watching Anakin fight Dooku with 2 sabers. After he loses the 2nd saber he goes over by the ship and cuts the power line. After that we get cool red and blue flashes, but you hardly see the sabers contact or hear the contact noise. And the steps seem just a bit too choreographed to me as well. I thought that perhaps Anakin at this point is already in league with the Sith, and his Duel with Dooku is staged... then he gets his arm cut off. Maybe Dooku just got mad at Anakin for not letting him off Obi-Wan and took the plan one step further.
Old 08-03-04, 03:59 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
In regards to Jar Jar Binks' tongue...

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I bet he can lick my ass.
Fixed
Old 08-03-04, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by C-Mart
I may just have been me, but I noticed something while watching Anakin fight Dooku with 2 sabers. After he loses the 2nd saber he goes over by the ship and cuts the power line. After that we get cool red and blue flashes, but you hardly see the sabers contact or hear the contact noise. And the steps seem just a bit too choreographed to me as well. I thought that perhaps Anakin at this point is already in league with the Sith, and his Duel with Dooku is staged... then he gets his arm cut off. Maybe Dooku just got mad at Anakin for not letting him off Obi-Wan and took the plan one step further.
yep because there is no possible way that it might look choreographed because a) it was or b) because Christopher Lee was almost 80 when it was filmed and you can't use a body double for closeups

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.