Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Open Water

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Sorry, but What Dreams May Come is worse than most of these movies......
Old 12-29-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw it in a packed movie theater... the crowd was very angry when it was over, ushers were apologizing!
Old 12-29-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Someone needs to rent Battlefield Earth and Ecks vs Sever soon...
Old 12-29-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm really curious to have the OP come back and explain why this was the worst movie he has ever seen. Just because it didn't have enough suspense or had poor acting doesn't seem like enough of a complaint to make it the absolute worst. It just sounds like you bought into the hype surrounding the movie and then weren't impressed by it. Why not start a real discussion rather than just throwing out hyperbole?

Plus, there is already a thread here, http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=370064, that has a good discussion going. Why not post there instead of creating your own "let's bash this movie" thread?

Last edited by FinkPish; 12-29-04 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-29-04, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
Someone needs to rent Battlefield Earth and Ecks vs Sever soon...
Battlefield was beyond bad. I think it might be the worst movie ever.
Open Water wasn't bad , it's okay, nothing out of this world. But not the worst movie ever made.
Old 12-29-04, 01:06 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only movies I've ever seen are the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Raiders of the Lost Ark, the Godfather, Taxi Driver, The Empire Strikes Back, Seven Samurai, Psycho, Dr. Strangelove, and Open Water. Open Water is by far the worst movie I've ever seen!
Old 12-29-04, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bluesparrow
What'd you expect, Jaws?
A couple is stranded in the water and sharks are around. I did expect some Jaws action and was disappointed. At least Blanchard Ryan got naked to make it somewhat watchable.
Old 12-29-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by scottall
A couple is stranded in the water and sharks are around. I did expect some Jaws action and was disappointed.
What kind of "Jaws action" were you expecting exactly? That the sharks would try to destroy their boat...oh wait, there was no boat. That they would explode the sharks at the end...oh wait, they were alone with no weapons.

It sounds like people are relying too much on what they thought the film should have been and less on what the movie was on its own. It's like getting disappointed with My Dinner with Andre because it doesn't have a big kitchen shootout like in La Femme Nikita.
Old 12-29-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, mainly just that I would get to see someone eaten by a shark or something. They showed all these sharks circling, but no sharks biting either of them. I was impressed with the cinematography, but that was about it.

What the movie was on its own was a half-assed attempt at suspense that didn't succeed IMO. It was extremely anti-climactic and could have been shortened to a 15 minute short film (then I might have enjoyed it).
Old 12-29-04, 04:05 PM
sdk

I just finished watching the dvd. And i found the movie to be greatly enjoyable, it was nothing mindblowing. But the movie had me in suspence the whole time.

Spoilers

And i for one am glad i did not get to see the shark eat anyone alive. That does not happen often, the shark did what he would have done in real life. And the nigh scene whit only the lightning giving them light, was exelent. And i the ending was great, the whole camera dipping in and out of the water showing us just how many sharks have come. I guess she figured that there was no point anymore and decided it was better to die drowning than beeing torn to pieces by sharks. Wich i can understand. I have seen som dokumentarys with people stranded in the ocean after a boat sinking. And the movie showed it of realitic, sharks will circle around you for many hours. Before they might attack.

Last edited by sdk; 12-30-04 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-29-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by scottall
No, mainly just that I would get to see someone eaten by a shark or something. They showed all these sharks circling, but no sharks biting either of them. I was impressed with the cinematography, but that was about it.

What the movie was on its own was a half-assed attempt at suspense that didn't succeed IMO. It was extremely anti-climactic and could have been shortened to a 15 minute short film (then I might have enjoyed it).
But don't you see, again you are basing your impressions of the film on what you would have liked to have seen and what you thought should have happened rather than what it actually was doing. If you didn't think the suspense worked, then that is a valid problem, but you keep bringing up the fact that you wanted these different things to happen and since they didn't, you were disappointed. Why not enjoy the movie for what it did do, and not focus so much on what it didn't do at all? It's fine to complain that it tried to achieve something and failed, but if it didn't try to achieve that thing at all, it isn't fair to fault the movie for not including it.

I'm not attacking you personally, scottall, but its just a general thing I've been noticing. People get caught up in their expectations, whether its from the trailer or from similar movies, and when those (sometimes irrational) expectations aren't fulfilled, then automatically that movie sucks. At some point, people need to watch a film for what it is, and to stop wishing it were things that it just isn't.

(I realize the futility of bitching about this on the internet, but I just wanted to say it)
Old 12-29-04, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
I wasn't that impressed with it, but wouldn't call it the worst movie ever.
Old 12-29-04, 06:27 PM

I might give this a rent, I agree Ron Burgendy sucked. Maybe I didnt like it because it was the third movie I saw it one day at the theatre. The other 2 were spiderman 2 and I, Robot. Both were good.
Old 12-29-04, 07:09 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts
I think "Resident Evil: Apocalypse" is the worst movie ever. Compared to "Open Water", OW is "The Sound of Music"!
Old 12-29-04, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I like peanut butter.
Old 12-29-04, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by SMB-IL
Boy, can't WAIT to watch the DVD now!!

Spoiler:
SPOILER TAGS!!
Look into them!!

Hmmm, 4th page of a thread about a movie that came out in July, not to mention is based on true events that have been widely discussed.
Spoiler:
MOVIE THEATERS!!
Look into them!!
Old 12-29-04, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Hmmm, 4th page of a thread about a movie that came out in July, not to mention is based on true events that have been widely discussed.
Spoiler:
MOVIE THEATERS!!
Look into them!!

Best response ever!!!
Old 12-29-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
SDK,
You need to use "spoiler tags" so you don't give away the ending for people that might not have seen it.
Old 12-29-04, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Forum Troll
You've all got it completely wrong. "Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2" is the WORST movie of all time. I am still in therapy from the emotional damage this movie caused me. I went and saw it, of my own free will, but that's no excuse.
Did you get medication for your brain anuerism?
Old 12-29-04, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can everyone stop giving away the ending of the movie please?!? If you are discussing important plot points, please use spoiler tags.
Old 12-29-04, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why all the hate for Ron Burgundy???

"If you don't like it, I WILL fight you".

Old 12-30-04, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Flynn
Why all the hate for Ron Burgundy???

"If you don't like it, I WILL fight you".

I don't know, but milk was a poor choice.
Old 12-30-04, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
|I saw it in a packed movie theater... the crowd was very angry when it was over, ushers were apologizing!|

Perhaps if this were a big Hollywood movie it would have been test screeened and a big CGI shark would've jumped out of the water just missing the hero & heroine as they were airlifted out of the water to the swell of the climactic score.

I thought this was a great movie, btw.
Old 12-30-04, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FinkPish
I don't know, but milk was a poor choice.

"Baxter? Is that you??? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee!"
Old 12-30-04, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FinkPish
But don't you see, again you are basing your impressions of the film on what you would have liked to have seen and what you thought should have happened rather than what it actually was doing. If you didn't think the suspense worked, then that is a valid problem, but you keep bringing up the fact that you wanted these different things to happen and since they didn't, you were disappointed. Why not enjoy the movie for what it did do, and not focus so much on what it didn't do at all? It's fine to complain that it tried to achieve something and failed, but if it didn't try to achieve that thing at all, it isn't fair to fault the movie for not including it.

I'm not attacking you personally, scottall, but its just a general thing I've been noticing. People get caught up in their expectations, whether its from the trailer or from similar movies, and when those (sometimes irrational) expectations aren't fulfilled, then automatically that movie sucks. At some point, people need to watch a film for what it is, and to stop wishing it were things that it just isn't.

(I realize the futility of bitching about this on the internet, but I just wanted to say it)
I really wasn't going into the movie expecting it to do anything. I didn't think that the movie sucked from my expectations of it. I thought that it sucked since there was no action to lead to the suspense except time passing. And I wouldn't think that you were personally attacking me.

And since we were talking about Jaws earlier, it worked for reasons that this movie didn't for me. There was action that led to you caring about the characters. I was hoping that both the characters would die in this movie with all the bitching and moaning and general lack of action.

edit: I shouldn't have quoted that post about Jaws in the first place and should have said, "I was expecting some action and was disappointed." That was my mistake. That film has no business being discussed here, really. They were both suspense films involving sharks, but that is where the similarities end.

Last edited by scottall; 12-30-04 at 11:20 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.