Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The most anticipated sequel of 2004, Baby Geniuses 2!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The most anticipated sequel of 2004, Baby Geniuses 2!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-04, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess they didn't say all they needed to say with Baby Geniuses 1.
Old 08-02-04, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this movie looks f'ng cool.
Old 08-27-04, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I can't believe there isn't a line outside my local theater for this today.
Old 08-28-04, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0270846/board/nest/11193756

Man.
Old 08-28-04, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Once again I don't really understand the need you folks have to berate a movie that clearly didn't have any of you in mind as a target audience. This is a film for kids just like that benji movie. Hope you guys don't ever find out they made like 10 Earnest movies... or god forbid you guys ever see any of the over 30 Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen videos... or the 4 Air Bud movies. I mean, get over it. Do you guys turn on Telletubbies and bitch to your friends about how bad the lighting is or how disjointed the script is or how one dimensional the characters are - especially when compared to Barney videos?

If I had a kid who was between 5 and 10 years old or so, they would probably want to see this and I'd have to go with them. Oh well, that's parenthood for ya. Since I don't have any kids, I'll probably never have to see this. Years ago, I had a girlfriend who lived with me and she had a 5 year old who had to watch this same 20 minute GI:Joe video tape over and over and over and over a million times. Sure, they make quality family movies and shows - but kids alot of times will gravitate towards the crappy stuff... there's no rhyme or reason to it and there's not much you can do about it.
Old 08-28-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know Trigger, people bash the hell out of the new Star Wars movies even though Lucas has said many times that they're for children.
Old 08-28-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, the difference being that those people grew up with the original trilogy and were hoping to have that magic repeated. I don't think the people here crapping on BG2 were huge fans of Baby Geniuses 1.
Old 08-28-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So... that makes it ok? What you said could apply exactly to Star Wars.
Old 08-28-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know what Star Wars has to do with this, but...

ANH - family film with some decent drama and themes that excluded it from being a kid's film and I would classify it as a good classic sci-fi drama.

ESB - family film again, but again some of the themes were a bit too heavy for a children's film. Sure, it had muppets but that alone doesn't mean it was meant for kids.

RotJ - Many people who complain about the new trilogy harp on this film for being too light and kid-friendly - especially where ewoks are concerned. Arguments aside, this film rounds out the the story of the first trilogy pretty well and when you look at the Jar Jar character, ewoks don't look so bad.

TPM - with its simple dialogue and stiff acting and the comic relief of Jar Jar (notably the zapping of the tongue scene) and the kid actor who wipes out an enemy ship on accident going "whoa whoooooaaa... whooops!", it had a distinct kid appeal that the original trilogy didn't have... not on that level anyway. It disappointed a good deal of fans who were perhaps expecting a family-friendly film that could work for both kids as a kid's movie and as an adult-friendly sci-fi action/drama.

AotC - this was a step in the right direction and you don't hear as many people complain about the film being so kid-oriented as the TPM. It struck a good balance and quality of the film aside, it was more of a match in tone to the first two films of the original trilogy.

Now, Baby Geniuses wasn't a well-received film and it was pretty much made for a younger audience... it was a film that made back its budget and a sequel makes sense considering the target audience. I doubt anyone here is complaining about the quality of BG2 because they grew up as big fans of the first BG movie... neither film are they the target audience for. Even excluding the age factor - these films are for people who think CG dancing babies and talking babies are cute or funny. I don't see anyone here saying "I loved that dancing baby thing that was floating around the internet 7 years ago, but this movie looks like crap." So the difference here is that people complaining about Star Wars are actually fans of sci-fi movies and of the original series. They are at least entitled to gripe a little for just that reason regardless of the age limits Lucas placed on the new trilogy.
Old 08-28-04, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can see the difference. I'm just putting that thought out there for others to consider.