Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

IMAX questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-04, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMAX questions

Alright, I've never been to an IMAX. I'm thinking about seeing Spider-man 2 at the nearest location.

1. Is it worth driving 2-2.5 hours?
2. Do they sell out?
3. What is the price range?
4. How is the overall theather experience i.e. atmosphere, crowd, etc.?
5. Has anyone been to the Columbus or Lansing theathers? How are they?

Thanks
Old 07-26-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Most IMAX movies are only about 45 minutes long and it's very cool.

I've never seen a feature-length action movie in one (they have them here, I've just never gone). I think that'd make me puke if I sat too close.

I would guess they sell out rather easily since there is limited seating.

Overall theater experience is great, as I said above, for 45 minute documentaries. Not sure how I'd survive 2 hours with a lot of action though but people go to these, so it must not be that bad.

Old 07-26-04, 12:39 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't they usually cut IMAX feature-length movies?
Old 07-26-04, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: IMAX questions

Originally posted by Nagheenanajar
Alright, I've never been to an IMAX. I'm thinking about seeing Spider-man 2 at the nearest location.

2. Do they sell out?

Thanks
1. I don't think so
2. Probably depends on your theater, and when you go. For Spidey, i wouldn't worry.
3. It costs about 11 bucks at my theater, a couple bucks more then regular.
4. Was the same as a regular theater.

I've watched two movies on IMAX... the Matrix Revolutions and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Matrix was absolutely amazing. The audio was pumped up so loud that the seats were shaking during most of the gunfights which made it absolutely amazing. Harry Potter was far less impressive though, but it was fun watching it on such a giant screen.

Personally, i don't think its worth a 2 hour drive just to watch a movie on IMAX, especially one that's already been out for a month. It might be worth it if you're a big fan and are dying to check it out, especially since its only a few bucks more.
Old 07-26-04, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Fok
Don't they usually cut IMAX feature-length movies?
I can't imagine them doing that, especially with a new release. Can anyone comment?
Old 07-26-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the past, IMAX couldn't handle more then so many minutes, so cuts had to be made to the film. case in point Star Wars Episode II on Imax screen. But now IMAX film can go longer so films do not need to be cut to be put on the 70mm film that is needed to be shown on the IMAX screen.

So IMAX feature length movies no longer suffer from having to be cut.
Old 07-26-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

No, not really

2. Do they sell out?
Yes, often.

You'll probably pay about $10 - $12 to see Spider-Man. Regular movie price (about $6) for shorter IMAX features.

Good - people are generally more well-behaved than in a typical theater. Bad news: you can't exit to use the restroom - no reentry. So ease up on the soda!
Old 07-26-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's a good experience, but I'll be honest only if you're a big enthusiast. Great sound, big screen. Movies are full on now, not cut down at all.

But keep in mind these movies are not a full Imax experience. Due to the aspect ratio, you're only using at most 2/3rd of the screen to see the movie, so it's not quite as impressive looking as a regular Imax movie, imo. But hey, better than pan n scan...ha.
Old 07-26-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
The only feature film I saw in IMAX was Attack of the Clones. It was a nice, immersive experience, and the theatre had a great sound system. This was when feature films still had to be cut, due to the limitions of the IMAX system at the time, but in the case of ATOC, the cuts actually made the film tighter and more enjoyable, IMO. So, overall, I liked the experience, and it was worth the money. I don't know if I'd drive over two hours to see it, but Spider-man 2 in IMAX would probably be cool to see.
Old 07-26-04, 05:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by cultshock
The only feature film I saw in IMAX was Attack of the Clones. It was a nice, immersive experience, and the theatre had a great sound system. This was when feature films still had to be cut, due to the limitions of the IMAX system at the time, but in the case of ATOC, the cuts actually made the film tighter and more enjoyable, IMO. So, overall, I liked the experience, and it was worth the money.

I have to definately agree with you there, the AOC edit flushed out alot of flaws with the non-Imax cut of the film.

My only gripe with AOC on the IMAX screen was that due to the print blow up, the tightly edited chase scenes gave me a major migrane, the image was way too tight and the action subsequently got blurred and was assualtive to the senses.
Old 07-27-04, 05:46 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Giles
I have to definately agree with you there, the AOC edit flushed out alot of flaws with the non-Imax cut of the film.

My only gripe with AOC on the IMAX screen was that due to the print blow up, the tightly edited chase scenes gave me a major migrane, the image was way too tight and the action subsequently got blurred and was assualtive to the senses.
Same here, for the 3rd LOTR film. (Puts on "Call of Duty" helmet)..maybe the frame-rate does this? The screen was never entirely in focus either.

You will need to move your head a lot to 'absorb' the action.
Old 07-27-04, 12:08 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I guess I won't travel the 2+ hours and just save my money.
Old 07-27-04, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by PrivateJoker
Same here, for the 3rd LOTR film. (Puts on "Call of Duty" helmet)..maybe the frame-rate does this? The screen was never entirely in focus either.

You will need to move your head a lot to 'absorb' the action.
but even from the front row of a standard theatrical presentation of 'Return of the King' one can find fault with the style in filmmaking Jackson uses in some of his action battle sequences. They are to tight and one can imagine the real awkward reframing and cropping the IMAX must be like (unless it was open matted)
Old 07-28-04, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

They had 1 in Tokyo but they went out of business.
Old 07-28-04, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by Kumar J
They had 1 in Tokyo but they went out of business.
really?! I have never ever heard of a IMAX theatre going out of business, any idea as to why it closed?
Old 07-28-04, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by Nagheenanajar
2. Do they sell out?
1. Yes
2. Sometimes, quite possibly for Spidey 2
3. I think it is ~$10
4. Much better than a 'normal theater experience'
5. I've been to the Lansing one and the Dearborn one. Both are excellent, and definitely better than any theater in Michigan. Although the Celebration DLP theater in Grand Rapids comes fairly close.

Also, IMAX features can now go a total run time of 2.5 hours. This is different from when AOTC came out in IMAX when the feature had to be 2 hours or less (could have been 1hour 45 min, I can't remember). Anyway, long story short, the IMAX experience is well worth IMO.
Old 07-28-04, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Giles
really?! I have never ever heard of a IMAX theatre going out of business, any idea as to why it closed?
Not much of business is the the main reason.They had just 1 movie for like 1 month each time and it did not last long.