Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sam Rami finished with Story of Spider-man 3

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-20-04, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick blurb on Sam Rami finishing the plot to Spider-man 3.
Some interesting things to say about the Harry Osborne take
and which ways they could go with him...

You're currently at work on the script for Spider-Man 3...
I just finished this morning [Monday 12th July] - I mean the basic story. I'd been working on it with my brother.

The sense you get towards the end of Spider-Man 2 is that Peter Parker and Harry Osborn will face off in the third. Is that a fair assumption?
Well I'm trying to... I can't tell you.

What can you tell us?
It's going to follow the natural progression of the growth of these two individuals, Mary Jane Watson and Peter Parker. It will be a love story and it will track the relationship as they encounter new conflicts that separate them. And hopefully their own will and love for each other will bring them back together in the piece. Harry will be a problem, but I'm not certain if Harry will become the Goblin or not. The thing I'm really not certain about is if he comes to feel, "Now I have the means to destroy Spider-Man - I was too weak before but now I have a way and I will become the man that my father always dreamed I could be." Or, does he feel: "Now I understand why Spider-Man had to destroy him, because he was a mass murderer and now my anger can drain away from me." It could be an answer to a question and it ends the pursuit, but I'm not certain which way to go.
found here

Last edited by jasonbird; 07-20-04 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-20-04, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What Raimi said about Harry's choices is exactly what I was thinking about after I saw Spidey 2. Will he see Spider-Man is good or will he still hate him after the revelation?
Old 07-20-04, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
He set up the end of part two to indicate these are the things that are swimming around in Harry's head. I really hope he doesn't bring out the hobgoblin or whatever... crappy character IMO.
Old 07-20-04, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kind of disappointed to hear
It will be a love story and it will track the relationship as they encounter new conflicts that separate them. And hopefully their own will and love for each other will bring them back together in the piece.
as that is precisely the function i saw in chapter 2.

at the end of 2 they are now together- rather than rehashing "will the boy get the girl/ vice versa" plotline, i would have expected the 3rd film to proceed with the two together, life a little more settled and happier for Pete and as a result of his intimacy with MJ he begins to grow as an adult and become smoother, less dorky (more like how Parker became early in the books after starting to attend college).

i think a fine ending would be to, after the majority of the film shows us a stable, emotionally centered and healthy Parker (as opposed to the conflicted Parker we see in two) to then kill off MJ in the closing moments and leave part 4 to deal with the emotional aftermath to this
i could envision an abrubt, last minute knock off similar to James Bonds wife in OHMSS.

it would be very in keeping with the spirit of the early comics which more often than not saw Pete walking away in the last panel depressed about some turn his life had taken.

by the same token i would also use the rest of the film to show other women in his life that could potentially step in to fill MJ void-
Betty Brandt, introduce a Gwen Stacy or Felicia Hardy

of course Sam could be thinking of using the Hardy character as the means to create conflict and tension in Petes & MJs relationship- but that kind of triangle seems a little cliched.

it would be much fresher i think to see MJ and the secret sacrifices she goes thru to support Pete so that they can enjoy a happy life together- until tragedy strikes
Old 07-21-04, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by ckolchak
by the same token i would also use the rest of the film to show other women in his life that could potentially step in to fill MJ void-
Betty Brandt, introduce a Gwen Stacy or Felicia Hardy
Forget the other women, he should just start railing the polish girl across the hall.
Old 07-21-04, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by BigPete
Forget the other women, he should just start railing the polish girl across the hall.
But if she turns sideways, she becomes invisible.
Old 07-21-04, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
TORMENT story line.. Nuff said! that story arc had some of the best views of how MJ had to deal with Peters lifestyle and also showed how relentless lizard could be.

Green Goblin Harry was always a doubting one, so having him fight that conflict of going after spidey or not could make it very interesting.

P.S. NO SHITTY VENOM! NUFF SAID!!!111
Old 07-21-04, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by kenny79
But if she turns sideways, she becomes invisible.
Perfect - she has a superpower - who else could understand him like she could?
Old 07-21-04, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
But that's not a super power, it's more like a side-effect.
Old 07-21-04, 07:39 AM

They will not kill MJ. Period. Forget your comic book fantasies, this is Hollywood now. The girl doesn't die at the end.
Old 07-21-04, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by kcbrett5
They will not kill MJ. Period. Forget your comic book fantasies, this is Hollywood now. The girl doesn't die at the end.
Not always true ....
Old 07-21-04, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
All I want to know is where Bruce Campbell will appear this time. Come on Sam, beef up his role!
Old 07-21-04, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm pretty much down with anything riami throws at us, him and singer are two directors who know what makes a superhero film-based on a comic-work.

I would like to be surprised, since everyone is predicting Harry as Green Goblin 2 (or to the confused say Hobgolin-no that's not Harry). Riami has to end this on a bang, otherwiseus fans will tune out the rest of spidey's adventures.
Old 07-21-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,190 Likes on 1,495 Posts
Forget Green Goblin 2. Let's see Doctor Connor become the Lizard.

And I agree with Jack, no friggin' Venom!
Old 07-21-04, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by cultshock
Forget Green Goblin 2. Let's see Doctor Connor become the Lizard.
I'm no Spider-Man buff but I have read up a little on the villians & The Lizard sounds like the best bet if there isn't a Goblin. If Harry forgives Spidey his part in Spidey 3 would probably be a small one. Personally, I would like the third installment to focus more on the villian & Spider-Man and less on Peter/Mary Jane since we know where that is going after the second one.
Old 07-21-04, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Going back to the Green Goblin on film three is like recycling the first film. People want to see new villians not the same old crap.
Old 07-21-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I hope this could speed up the film for a 2006 release date ! I know it wont...but you can dream haha.

I would like to see the full goblin circle compete with the original cast. So having the GG2 plus Lizard is fine with me for SM3...but...if the original cast is set for SM4...well...lets saving the GG conclusion for SM4.
Old 07-21-04, 11:16 PM
Suspended

MJ becomes Spiderwoman during or near the end of Spiderman 3... end of story. Hence, Spiderwoman becomes the start of a new movie sequel.
Old 07-22-04, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Regurgitator
MJ becomes Spiderwoman during or near the end of Spiderman 3... end of story. Hence, Spiderwoman becomes the start of a new movie sequel.
Old 07-22-04, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by chess
Based on his "handle" I think that was the response he was going for.
Old 07-22-04, 08:51 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by rexinnih
All I want to know is where Bruce Campbell will appear this time.
On a similar vein, I want to know how MJ going to get soaking wet in the next one...
Old 07-22-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Bring on Venom!
Old 07-22-04, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

if Harry was to become the Goblin- i would be rooting for him to get another costume.
if they are going to recycle the power rangers suit and mask, i'll pass on the whole film.
it's just too much like watching two plastic action figures slug it out.

however- they could always get around that by having Harry backstage at one of MJs plays one night and running acoss the wardrobe/prop rooms where he finds something much more appropriately menacing to don...

thats just one way (albeit maybe a little clunky) to get him in a position to wear something different.

Last edited by ckolchak; 07-22-04 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-22-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Ideally, I would hope that Harry becomes the Green Goblin, but that unlike his first two foes, Peter is able to save Harry from death at the end. Harry is committed to a mental hospital, still desperatly hating Spider-Man. It seems that would be in keeping with the theme of the movies, Spider-Man saves his best friend, only to lose him.
Old 07-22-04, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
TORMENT story line.. Nuff said! that story arc had some of the best views of how MJ had to deal with Peters lifestyle and also showed how relentless lizard could be.
Surely you're not referring to the utterly shitty Torment storyline by Todd McFarlane, are you? The one that had Mary Jane doing a bunch of mundane things while Spider-Man and Lizard fight non-stop for several issues?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.