Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Bringing babies to movies

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Bringing babies to movies

Old 07-20-04, 09:14 AM
  #1  
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,632
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bringing babies to movies

Is it me or is it a trend these days to bring your baby to the movies? Soooooo annoying! It happened a few times now (all in NYC) that someone brings a (screaming) baby into the theater, ruining some of the movie experience. Unbelievable to me.
Old 07-20-04, 09:17 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Gil Jawetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: I was here but I disappear
Posts: 8,407
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This topic has been discussed many times. But, yes, it's unreal/ That's why I never go to certain theaters, no matter how convenient they are. And god forbid you should suggest a baby sitter to a family. I had a guy literally try to physically attack me for making that suggestion after his baby cried all the way through Insomnia.
Old 07-20-04, 09:21 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,185
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People who do so should be sealed in a pit of their own filth.
Old 07-20-04, 09:29 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Cusm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Moore, OK
Posts: 7,729
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
We had our first (and perhaps only) child last September. There have been several films I have wanted to see, and Before Sunset and The Notebook are extrememly high on my wife's wish list. However we will wait on the DVDs as we do not have anyone that we entrust with watching our son and there is no way in hell I would take him to the movies, and I do not understand how people are stupid enough to do this.
Old 07-20-04, 09:57 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lower Beaver, Iowa
Posts: 10,521
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We're all doomed if babies learn to use cell phones.
Old 07-20-04, 10:00 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Springfield, VA
Posts: 765
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder....for those of you that hate any noise in a theater. Are you also considerate of your neighbors if you happen to own a home theater setup and you live in an apartment or condo or some type of attached dwelling? Perhaps they are trying to watch something, read, or sleep and they might be greatly annoyed at hearing the pounding bass of a home theater. Just curious.
Old 07-20-04, 10:01 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hollywoodland
Posts: 471
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh goody...another one of threads....I think I'll start taking my baby daughter to movies now, because she cries less then you pack of cry babies.
Old 07-20-04, 10:24 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,533
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by JustInsane
Oh goody...another one of threads....I think I'll start taking my baby daughter to movies now, because she cries less then you pack of cry babies.


You seem a bit pissy over this. Sure you haven't taken your daughter before? I've seen this topic discussed before, like hundreds of others, but I doubt I'd get upset over it unless I was offended. That's just me though.
Old 07-20-04, 10:32 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Posts: 54,199
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by JustInsane
Oh goody...another one of threads....I think I'll start taking my baby daughter to movies now, because she cries less then you pack of cry babies.
yeah, but I'm not watching a movie when these internet fan boys cry While she does cry when I'm trying to see a god damn story plot.
Old 07-20-04, 10:44 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hollywoodland
Posts: 471
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by DVD-ho78(DTS)


You seem a bit pissy over this. Sure you haven't taken your daughter before? I've seen this topic discussed before, like hundreds of others, but I doubt I'd get upset over it unless I was offended. That's just me though.
Actually, I have taken her to the movies once when she was really little and we knew she would sleep the whole way thru the movie, which is actually did. That is the one and only time. I haven't and wouldn't do it again, because I don't think it's right. The same as people talking on cellphones in the theatres isn't right either.

The part the pisses me off about these threads is when certain people (a dvd reviewer for this site, no less) starts calling child "little shit bags". When kids are babies the only way they can tell you that they don't like something or don't like where they are is to cry. We all did it when we are babies. It's not the kids fault that they cry, it's just instinct. If you want to start calling people names go after the parents and leave the name calling out for the kids.
Old 07-20-04, 10:52 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Posts: 9,414
Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally posted by JustInsane
I haven't and wouldn't do it again, because I don't think it's right. The same as people talking on cellphones in the theatres isn't right either.
Exactly. The issue isn't babies crying [for, yes, as you say, crying *is* their communication], the issue is selfish/thoughtless adults. As evidenced by bringing a baby, who is likely to cry, to a movie theater where quiet is expected. Or by people who smoke in a crowded room. Or cut you off to get to the exit on the highway. All symptoms of a similar cause, so to focus on parents with babies is misleading, and definitely, to insult the babies for doing what babies do naturally is entirely rude, immature, and quite ass-holic.
Old 07-20-04, 10:53 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Gil Jawetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: I was here but I disappear
Posts: 8,407
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My beef is always with the parents and, more importantly, the theater management, who are only interested in keeping their hend in the sand and the extra revenue of the child paying adult prices for an R rated movie.
Old 07-20-04, 10:58 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Dark City
Posts: 4,218
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by JustInsane

The part the pisses me off about these threads is when certain people (a dvd reviewer for this site, no less) starts calling child "little shit bags". When kids are babies the only way they can tell you that they don't like something or don't like where they are is to cry. We all did it when we are babies. It's not the kids fault that they cry, it's just instinct. If you want to start calling people names go after the parents and leave the name calling out for the kids.
That is terrible. I hope you reported this to a moderator.
Old 07-20-04, 10:59 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,185
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by JustInsane
Actually, I have taken her to the movies once when she was really little and we knew she would sleep the whole way thru the movie, which is actually did. That is the one and only time. I haven't and wouldn't do it again, because I don't think it's right. The same as people talking on cellphones in the theatres isn't right either.

The part the pisses me off about these threads is when certain people (a dvd reviewer for this site, no less) starts calling child "little shit bags". When kids are babies the only way they can tell you that they don't like something or don't like where they are is to cry. We all did it when we are babies. It's not the kids fault that they cry, it's just instinct. If you want to start calling people names go after the parents and leave the name calling out for the kids.
What deep and original thoughts.

Let's say you were on an airplane and a baby was crying ALL through the flight, 8 hours of crying and crying. ANYONE would get pissed at the baby, despite the baby not really doing anything bad. It's just as natural to get pissed at the baby as it is to cry when you are a baby.

The parents are at fault, but the baby would be a piss ant just as well.

If I was in the situation that a baby was crying at the movies I'd simply tell his/her parents to go away NOW.

Last edited by Parcher; 07-20-04 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-20-04, 11:06 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 18,354
Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Babies? Let's work on getting ADULTS to act civilized in the theaters first!
Old 07-20-04, 11:22 AM
  #16  
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,632
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Babies? Let's work on getting ADULTS to act civilized in the theaters first!
That's the point. You can't blame the baby but the ADULTS who bring them.
Old 07-20-04, 11:37 AM
  #17  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When kids are babies the only way they can tell you that they don't like something or don't like where they are is to cry. We all did it when we are babies.
Shitting is natural too, but I don't shit in your popcorn, don't bring a crying baby into the movie theater.

It's as simple as that.
Old 07-20-04, 11:42 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hollywoodland
Posts: 471
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Parcher
What deep and original thoughts.

Let's say you were on an airplane and a baby was crying ALL through the flight, 8 hours of crying and crying. ANYONE would get pissed at the baby, despite the baby not really doing anything bad. It's just as natural to get pissed at the baby as it is to cry when you are a baby.
Well, I'll be testing that theory towards the end of the year when I take my daughter on a 14 hour plane flight back home to meet my parents for the first time. :-)
Old 07-20-04, 11:52 AM
  #19  
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,632
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by JustInsane
Well, I'll be testing that theory towards the end of the year when I take my daughter on a 14 hour plane flight back home to meet my parents for the first time. :-)
The difference with taking your baby in the airplane or to the movies is that you don't have an option when travelling. With the movies you can opt for:
- Babysitter
- 'Baby friendly' shows (they have them in NYC)
- Wait until the DVD release

Anyway, hope you and your baby have a good flight!!!
Old 07-20-04, 12:02 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hollywoodland
Posts: 471
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by policy
Shitting is natural too, but I don't shit in your popcorn, don't bring a crying baby into the movie theater.

It's as simple as that.
By that statement you are assuming that parents know exactly what is going to make their baby cry. When the truth actually is that you have no idea what is going to start a baby crying. Sometimes it's something big, sometimes it's something very small. Took my daughter is Disneyland and she hated it and cried so much for the short time we were there that we had to leave. We took her to Universal expecting the same reaction, but she loved the place. You have no control over what is going to set them off.

When you have a baby you can't be expected to stay home everyday and night with your child and never go out in the world. Yes there is babysitters and stuff like that, but babysitters aren't cheap. Then throw in the whole trust issues of babysitters and that's a whole other story. Also too babies and children need to out and experiencing the world so they grow up well adjusted. It's all comes down to the parents having enough consideration for the people around them and more importantly having enough consideration to take a baby out of an enviroment that they baby is hating.
Old 07-20-04, 12:19 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
DaveNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Sacramento (The City of a Beer)
Posts: 7,513
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Why do babies always get dis on here, yo?

90% of the time i've been disturbed in the theater its not been by babies.

One day babies will rule the earth and you will be the one in diapers!
Old 07-20-04, 12:24 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 130,253
Received 611 Likes on 492 Posts
Such parents should be drawn and quartered.
Old 07-20-04, 12:29 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,185
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Red Dog
Such parents should be drawn and quartered.
lol!
Old 07-20-04, 01:05 PM
  #24  
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,632
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by JustInsane
When you have a baby you can't be expected to stay home everyday and night with your child and never go out in the world. Yes there is babysitters and stuff like that, but babysitters aren't cheap. Then throw in the whole trust issues of babysitters and that's a whole other story. Also too babies and children need to out and experiencing the world so they grow up well adjusted. It's all comes down to the parents having enough consideration for the people around them and more importantly having enough consideration to take a baby out of an enviroment that they baby is hating.
So... you're saying it's acceptable to bring a baby to the theatre?

They're perfectly welcome IMO but as soon as the baby start to cry the parent should take the baby outside the theatre. Unfortunately that hardly ever happens.
Old 07-20-04, 01:12 PM
  #25  
Retired
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 27,449
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by JustInsane


When you have a baby you can't be expected to stay home everyday and night with your child and never go out in the world. Yes there is babysitters and stuff like that, but babysitters aren't cheap. Then throw in the whole trust issues of babysitters and that's a whole other story.
It's just a sacrifice you have to be willing to make. If you're going to have kids you have to accept that your life is going to be much more restrictive.

One of the many reasons I can't see myself having kids. I could change my mind as I'm only 25, but it's unlikely given that I don't want to put up with the hassle and can't stand kids in general.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.