Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

House of Flying Daggers review

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

House of Flying Daggers review

Old 12-22-04, 05:03 PM
  #76  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 23,466
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Interesting extrapolation. I'm just saying that HOFD was no more convoluted than ROTK. I didn't really care much for ROTK, but I liked HOFD alot. I don't really see the 'convoluted' story of HOFD to be a flaw. I thought the only flaw in that film was the lack of a final battle. I don't see the convoluted drama of ROTK to be a flaw either, but rather a tedious and boring way to spend the last 1/3 of the film.
Old 12-22-04, 05:59 PM
  #77  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,830
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trigger
Interesting extrapolation. I'm just saying that HOFD was no more convoluted than ROTK. I didn't really care much for ROTK, but I liked HOFD alot. I don't really see the 'convoluted' story of HOFD to be a flaw. I thought the only flaw in that film was the lack of a final battle. I don't see the convoluted drama of ROTK to be a flaw either, but rather a tedious and boring way to spend the last 1/3 of the film.
okay, i see what you're saying. i felt the convoluted (getting tired of that word now) plottng of the "who loves who" storyline made it impossible to access and relate to the characters because they were forced to make very unnatural choices to serve a very contrived structure of events. I don't think this was a problem in Hero. and yes, strange that zhang yimou would hint at the beginning of a large battle and never even once refer back to it. i suppose he was making a point? that the love story fight was "bigger", more significant? idk.
Old 12-23-04, 02:35 AM
  #78  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 23,466
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Well - the love story was pretty simple I thought... she had an old love with Lau, and developed a new love (rather quickly - only minor annoyance for me) with Kaneshiro. I think the story is not so convoluted and actually quite simple. The only chink in the armor here is that Yimou failed to convince some people her feelings for Kaneshiro could be genuine in such a short period of time etc... well, to counter that I would simply remind them that it had been several years since she had seen her love Lau... and absence of love in her life caused her to fall hard for the next guy. That sort of thing. Anyway - all that stuff about flowers and whatnot (hub-ub metaphors that were actually about her) was meant to give you that impression (that she was ready to fall in love) - or something like that.
Old 12-23-04, 05:25 AM
  #79  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,830
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trigger
Well - the love story was pretty simple I thought... she had an old love with Lau, and developed a new love (rather quickly - only minor annoyance for me) with Kaneshiro. I think the story is not so convoluted and actually quite simple. The only chink in the armor here is that Yimou failed to convince some people her feelings for Kaneshiro could be genuine in such a short period of time etc... well, to counter that I would simply remind them that it had been several years since she had seen her love Lau... and absence of love in her life caused her to fall hard for the next guy. That sort of thing. Anyway - all that stuff about flowers and whatnot (hub-ub metaphors that were actually about her) was meant to give you that impression (that she was ready to fall in love) - or something like that.
okay, even if its simple i still think the plotting of the love story is done in such a way that we cannot access these people as three-dimensional characters. rather, they seem to be mere puppets making conspicuously-timed revelations to serve the whim of the storyteller. unlike hero, i had no emotional investment in the drama.
Old 12-23-04, 09:12 AM
  #80  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell
Posts: 34,203
Received 755 Likes on 551 Posts
Hah! They're all liars.

Anyways, the love story was blah.
Spoiler:
I mean she reacted in the same way with Leo and Jin (getting all hot and heavy then putting up the cockblock), it's just that Leo took it a step further and fucked everything up. I didn't believe that Leo could have slipped into the system in just 3 years. And it seemed pretty stupid to do the whole echo thing between Leo and Mei if the place was run by the HOFD. There was nothing there between the two so it was hard to really be convinced that they were lovers. At some point during the interrogation, I expected something.. a hint of something. Especially since they had enough time alone at some point. The only thing we have is a brief smile from Mei after Leo throws all the beans.


And the lack of a battle between the General and the HOFD was a real let down. Why show what was the beginning of it and never return to it?
Old 01-16-05, 08:48 PM
  #81  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,186
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally got to see this on the big screen! I loved it. I'll be going back later in the week for another showing.

So, what exactly was cut out of the North American version?
Old 01-16-05, 09:01 PM
  #82  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mondo Kane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 11,671
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Amel
So, what exactly was cut out of the North American version?
http://www.helloziyi.us/
Scroll down to the bottom
Old 01-17-05, 09:06 PM
  #83  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,186
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
http://www.helloziyi.us/
Scroll down to the bottom
thanks. that's a great site btw. i go there pretty often. I just stayed away from anything spoilery about her movies.

The deletions don't seem to be anything important to the story, they'll probably be put back in the r1 release.


This was the first movie I've been to where I actually saw someone walk out. It was pretty funny. It was a couple. As soon as the chick saw that the movie was subtitled she told the boyfriend they were leaving.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.