Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

House of Flying Daggers review

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

House of Flying Daggers review

Old 12-17-04, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by spinning plates
i just got back from seeing this and was impressed overall, but i felt a little cheated at the end.
Spoiler:
i mean, i knew it was going to end after the fight between jin and leo, but didn't anyone want to see the house of flying daggers fight the general?
;__;
yeah - no kidding... kindof a bummer
Old 12-17-04, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 755 Likes on 551 Posts
Originally Posted by Trigger
yeah - no kidding... kindof a bummer
They build up that whole thing that they can take care of themselves and had a few surprises for the General.. that I thought there would be intercuts between Leo & Jin fighting and the HOFD and the General's men fighting. That would have been more poetic/dramatic to me had Zhang Yimou done that.

Also,
Spoiler:
I half expected to see Leo off himself after trying to get Mei to kill him only to find out she would have protected Jin with her final act. Instead he just walks off?
Old 12-17-04, 03:10 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hopefully this will be some what good. I like ZZ, she's pretty hot.
Old 12-17-04, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo
They build up that whole thing that they can take care of themselves and had a few surprises for the General.. that I thought there would be intercuts between Leo & Jin fighting and the HOFD and the General's men fighting. That would have been more poetic/dramatic to me had Zhang Yimou done that.

Also,
Spoiler:
I half expected to see Leo off himself after trying to get Mei to kill him only to find out she would have protected Jin with her final act. Instead he just walks off?
Spoiler:
I figured he just walked off to die alone... he was fucked up pretty good and I didn't think he'd survive. but I kinda agree that I wanted to see him kill himself.

My gf didn't like this film - she thought it was stupid that these people were being so dramatic about their romance when it was only developed over a couple days. She was also let down by the lack of a final battle.
Old 12-17-04, 08:35 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i agree with GrimFarrow's assessment entirely. I saw the picture and found the story far too convoluted, which kept me from being able to access the characters in a meaningful way.
Old 12-18-04, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts
Silly movie. Convoluted? No not really, but it over does a lot of stuff it could have done without and underdoes a few things that it needed.

But boy is it entertaining. Cheese and all.
Old 12-18-04, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cygnet74
I saw the picture and found the story far too convoluted....
"Convoluted" is hardly the word I would use ..."simplistic" is more like it!

I enjoyed this one a lot, and anyone with any interest at all should do themselves a favor and catch it on the big screen. It's not earth-shattering or profound on any level, but it sure is fun!
Old 12-20-04, 12:49 PM

i saw this other day with a friend and were we both awstruck. simply amazing. i have never seen a more beatufiul film in my life.People are shitting on the romance, but i really liked it. Sure it was cheesy, but it worked. it was dramatic and theatrical and I thought it was easily the greatest film i've seen this year.

the opening scene, where shes dancing and hitting the drum with those beans...how friggin perfect was that.
Old 12-20-04, 01:11 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Grimfarrow
Hmmm...missed VOLCANO HIGH when it showed a long while back. But this year, the HK films I've liked include ONE NITE IN MONGKOK, BREAKING NEWS, MCDULL: PRINCE DE LA BUN, DARKNESS BRIDE, ALL TOMORROW'S PARTIES....haven't seen LOVE BATTLEFIELD yet. So I'm not as snooty as you think
Hey thanks Grim, I absolutely fell in love with MCDULL: PRINCE DE LA BUN.

Besides some amazing tracking shots, I felt that BREAKING NEWS was a letdown, there's so little characterization and the plot got a tad heavy handed near the end.

Rented DARKNESS BRIDE, was very impressed.

Have LOVE BATTLEFIELD at home waiting to be watched.

Waiting patiently for PARTIES and MONGKOK to get released on DVD.

Originally Posted by spinning plates
i just got back from seeing this and was impressed overall, but i felt a little cheated at the end.
Spoiler:
i mean, i knew it was going to end after the fight between jin and leo, but didn't anyone want to see the house of flying daggers fight the general?
;__;
yup, (sigh)... oh well. I thought HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS was okay, but not great, the ending got a tad too self-indulgent and a tad smaltzy - I thought they could have cut 5 minutes from the end there.
Old 12-20-04, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Giles, "One Nite in Mongkok" has been out on DVD for some time now.
Old 12-20-04, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by flixtime
Giles, "One Nite in Mongkok" has been out on DVD for some time now.
oh... thanx.

(added to my Nicheflix queue).

Last edited by Giles; 12-20-04 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-20-04, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just got back from this, and absolutely loved it. I thought the story had enough twists to be interesting, but not so many to be convoluted. Just the right amount of action scenes. I really liked all the lead performances, and call me sappy, but I did indeed get emotionally engrossed in the love story---I found their motivations believeable and well-conveyed. I thought some of the action scenes, particularly with the arrows, were quite fresh and thrilling. I also really like the fact that the use of wires is much more subtle and tasteful than in most of the 90's wuxia. It seemed that the fight scenes in this one, compared to CTHD and Hero, were a bit grittier, particularly at the end---the blood on the snow made me flash back a bit to some of Chang Cheh's 60's wuxia pics. The bamboo forest scene was fantastic, but it also makes you realize how influential that original bamboo fight scene was from A Touch of Zen----over 30 years later and filmmakers are still paying homage to that one. I thought Zimou's use of color was just as prominent in this one as compared to Hero, except in this one he was working with earthtones instead of primary colors. Aside from all the other aspects of the film, I don't ever recall seeing any movie that had more beautiful and striking cinematography of autumn forests and leaves.

Also, really fantastic musical score, IMO.

I'm a huge fan of wuxias going back to Temple of the Red Lotus, Come Drink with Me and The Magnificent Trio, and for my preferences I rank this one at or near the top of the list.
Old 12-21-04, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi

I'm a huge fan of wuxias going back to... Come Drink with Me...
now that was a great film.
Old 12-22-04, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
Hey thanks Grim, I absolutely fell in love with MCDULL: PRINCE DE LA BUN.

Besides some amazing tracking shots, I felt that BREAKING NEWS was a letdown, there's so little characterization and the plot got a tad heavy handed near the end.

Rented DARKNESS BRIDE, was very impressed.

Have LOVE BATTLEFIELD at home waiting to be watched.

Waiting patiently for PARTIES and MONGKOK to get released on DVD.

yup, (sigh)... oh well. I thought HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS was okay, but not great, the ending got a tad too self-indulgent and a tad smaltzy - I thought they could have cut 5 minutes from the end there.
Glad you liked some of my recommendations. Unfortunately, the state of HK cinema is incredibly dire, as there isn't another film I can recommend to you this year. That may change after tonight though, as I'm going to see Kung Fu Hustle.
Old 12-22-04, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The reason why US audiences seem to like the film more is because the film is CUT ! Check out http://www.monkeypeaches.com/ for details (warning - spoiler)

Apparently, one of the most utterly ridiculous scenes in the film has been excised. So perhaps the new US version is better after all?
Old 12-22-04, 01:28 AM

The reason why US audiences seem to like the film more is because the film is CUT ! Check out http://www.monkeypeaches.com/ for details (warning - spoiler)
I read about
Spoiler:
Mei's ridiculous death scene
before seeing the movie last Friday, and I thought it wasn't nearly as bad as people made it sound. So it was cut. Oh well, if the cut makes the movie better, I don't care.
Old 12-22-04, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just bought this blind from hkflix.com for $15. I think it's worth a shot at that price.
Old 12-22-04, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 373 Posts

Apparently, one of the most utterly ridiculous scenes in the film has been excised. So perhaps the new US version is better after all?
WTF? Are all of the movie studios following Miramax example for all Asian releases or was this approved by Zhang Yimou for the US release?
Old 12-22-04, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 755 Likes on 551 Posts
Now I wish I had seen the Sony screening last week so I could verify this.
Old 12-22-04, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Took me awhile to figure out what scene you thought was so ridiculous... I saw the uncut version and thought it was fantastic. I also checked this link to see what was cut - and I'm glad I got the version with those scenes in it. If those 10 seconds of film can ruin the whole movie for someone though, I wonder how they can ever find a movie perfect enough to enjoy.
Old 12-22-04, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
There should be no cuts however as indicated on this thread earlier be aware that
Spoiler:
the end song of this movie is in English
And no, that is not a change by Sony Pictures.
How can you possibly consider that a spoiler in any way, shape, or form?
Old 12-22-04, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by marty888
"Convoluted" is hardly the word I would use ..."simplistic" is more like it!

I enjoyed this one a lot, and anyone with any interest at all should do themselves a favor and catch it on the big screen. It's not earth-shattering or profound on any level, but it sure is fun!
perhaps "convoluted" was a poor choice of words. what word would you use to describe the incessant series of "reveals" regarding who the characters actually were and who they were actually in love with?
Old 12-22-04, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
How can you possibly consider that a spoiler in any way, shape, or form?
I didn't say it was a spoiler. I used the tags just to be safe.
Old 12-22-04, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cygnet74
perhaps "convoluted" was a poor choice of words. what word would you use to describe the incessant series of "reveals" regarding who the characters actually were and who they were actually in love with?
No more convoluted than the endless drawn out death scenes in Lord of the Rings ROTK where every 5 minutes someone's crying over someone's dying body they're holding in their lap and saying their long-winded good-byes... and people seemed to love that film quite a bit.
Old 12-22-04, 04:37 PM

i'm sorry, what are you saying? that ROTK and HOFD share similar flaws but because alot of people liked ROTK, the flaws should be forgiven?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.