Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

House of Flying Daggers review

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

House of Flying Daggers review

Old 08-30-04, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now that HERO is out, many are anticipating HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS. So I want to present actual figures for people who still believe the film has done blockbuster business.

In Hong Kong, HOFD earned a paltry HK$14 million after less than a month's run. That is a disappointing total, when compared to HERO's HK$26.6 million total.

Moreover, the film is just getting slammed everywhere...in China! So far, it has earned about US$19 million in its homeland...a far cry from the US$30+ million of HERO.

Here's an example:

WARNING: Spoiler in linked article!
http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/20...29_155185.html

Compared with "Hero," Zhang Yimou's exploration of the martial arts genre at the end of 2002, which received both praise and censure, "Daggers" has almost been drowned in a flood of criticism from the press and public, which mostly focuses on its thin storyline.

Although in the first four days of screening," Daggers" took 63.95 million yuan (US$7.7 million) at the box office, this figure has witnessed only slight growth in the following two weeks.

To date, box office takings have only reached just over 150 million yuan (US$18 million). Cinema lines claimed that the bad comments of audiences have scared away some moviegoers.

Some cinemas have begun to cut the high ticket price of "Daggers" to attract more viewers as Hollywood blockbusters Spiderman 2 and Shrek 2 land in China.

That Zhang's new movie is out of favour with Chinese viewers should provide the country's movie industry some food for thought.

Zhang, the golden boy of China's movie industry for years, now faces an unprecedented challenge.

Both of his martial movies have paid too much heed to visuals and have neglected emotional content.

"The failure of 'Daggers' is not surprising. It shows the common problems of Chinese directors of the fifth generation," according to Zhang Yiwu, a professor of Chinese Literature with Peking University. "They have only learned how to shoot a movie from the imported films of the 1980s, and have not learnt what is worthy to be shot. That has led them to make visual effects the sole priority of a film."
Old 08-30-04, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hehehe, you really have it out for this movie.

for me, as long as any asian movie makes it big, it's good for the rest of the industry in this part of the world.
Old 08-30-04, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Well... again... I don't really care if you and all of china think it's a shit movie - I'll check it out myself. 19 million bucks isn't such a bad take in China. Sure, it was expected to do more, but who cares? I tend to like alot of crap Korean films that my friends in Korea think are shitty. I'll ask one of my friends - "have you seen this movie? Have you seen this? What about this?" and he'll be like "oh, that was a disaster. That one sucked, everybody hated it. Complete disaster... " etc. He says stuff like this about many films that are popular with alot of us here too, so tastes vary obviously from person to person and even country to country. I could very well think this film is complete crap after seeing it, but until then you aren't going to sway me from seeing it. And quite frankly, I can't see why you are so set out to hate on this film.
Old 08-30-04, 03:20 AM

Ugh...because I hated it, and it was an utter disaster for a filmmaker of Zhang Yimou's stature? And when I started this thread, I haven't actually made up my mind about the film. Only after I watched the film then I turned really sour.

Obviously I'm not going to dissuade people from seeing the film...but mark my words, you'll come back to this thread and remember how someone warned you before you saw the film.

Truthfully, I really should ENCOURAGE you all to see the film - after all, it means more money for my friend's company

Last edited by Grimfarrow; 08-30-04 at 03:25 AM.
Old 08-30-04, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

part of me wants to see it and like it so I can go "IN YOUR FACE, GRIMFARROW!!111!!!"
Old 08-30-04, 03:39 AM

I seriously doubt it. Out of the 6 of us who went (all HERO lovers), nearly all of us thought it was the most unintentionally funny film since SPEED 2. The only dissent was my friend who works for TIME magazine. And he gets to write a positive review. Damn it!
Old 08-30-04, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I liked Volcano High.
Old 08-30-04, 04:26 AM

Hmmm...missed VOLCANO HIGH when it showed a long while back. But this year, the HK films I've liked include ONE NITE IN MONGKOK, BREAKING NEWS, MCDULL: PRINCE DE LA BUN, DARKNESS BRIDE, ALL TOMORROW'S PARTIES....haven't seen LOVE BATTLEFIELD yet. So I'm not as snooty as you think
Old 08-30-04, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not as snooty indeed - I'm surprised you liked Breaking News. I actually haven't liked all that much out of HK in the last few years.
Old 08-30-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's the info for the New York Film Festival's showing of this:

HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS Even his legions of admirers will be amazed at the sheer cinematic wizardry of Zhang Yimou's latest masterwork, a touching ode to love and loyalty. The year is 859 AD and opposition to the corrupt Tang Dynasty is growing. When a blind dancer named Mei, an agent of the rebel group the Flying Daggers, is captured, the regime sends a double agent to free her, hoping that she'll lead him to the group's headquarters. Their path is strewn with dangers both expected and unexpected-but none more perilous than those lurking in their hearts. A dazzling collage of color, movement, dance, and acrobatics, House opens a new chapter in the creative use of CGI technology, yet even its most eye-popping displays of martial-arts prowess lay bare the deeply emotional core of this epic tale. The brilliant cast, featuring Zhang Ziyi (China), Andy Lau (Hong Kong), and Takeshi Kaneshiro (Japan), points to the emergence of an exciting new pan-Asian cinema that incorporates the best of several film traditions. 119 min. China, 2004 A Sony Pictures Classics Release
9E Sat. Oct. 9, 12 midnight; 10C Sun. Oct. 10, 8:00 pm
Old 08-30-04, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Trigger
Not as snooty indeed - I'm surprised you liked Breaking News. I actually haven't liked all that much out of HK in the last few years.
I'm surprised too - partly because I usually don't like Jonnie To's stuff (plus, he's REALLY boring in person). But despite the atrocious Kelly Chen "acting", I thought it was a well-done police drama - in fact, I kind aliked it better than PTU (duck).

And if you think I have it in for HOFD, you should see my review of SPRING, SUMMER, FALL, WINTER....AND FRAUD.
Old 08-30-04, 11:26 AM
Banned

Crouching Tiger didn't do well in China and got mixed reviews there....and that movie kicked ass. Who gives a shit how much money these movies make anyway
Old 08-30-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I loved Spring, Summer... thought it was one of the most beautifully shot films I've ever seen. The story was very simple, but it was so well executed. I don't think I even wanna know what you didn't like about it, but that gives me hope for HOFD.

I didn't like PTU either and alot of Johnny To's films do very little for me. As for Kelly Chen, she was her typical robot-self in Breaking News. I have liked her in a few films though.
Old 09-12-04, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 373 Posts
I was fortunate enough to attend the North American premiere of "The House of the Flying Daggers" at the Toronto Film Festival tonight. Zhang Yimou and Zhang Ziyi were in attendance, and they introduced the movie. Zhang Yimou talked with the help of a translator however, Zhang Ziyi used English to tell us "how priviledged she was in working with Zhang Yimou, how he gave her some freedom in her role and that this was her first time in Toronto". She's even more gorgeous in person if you can believe that (trust me sitting on the second row right in front of the stage, you got to see her close enough).

I came away totally indifferent for this movie. I really wanted to like it but in the end, there were too many things that distracted me from enjoying it greatly.
Spoiler:
The biggest problem I had with the movie was the dialogue. For being a Zhang Yimou film, it had the corniest and silliest lines uttered in the screen. Also the ending, characters don't die when they should; and the film doesn't end when it should. People in the theatre were actually laughing during this critical juncture of the film. I don't think that was the emotion that the director was trying to evoke for his ending.

Out of the three principal actors, I was most impressed with Takeshi Kaneshiro (I have never seen any of his movies before). He gave a great effort in the role and fitted his character very well. On the other hand, both Andy Lau and Zhang Ziyi were very dissapointing. After seeing Mr. Lau in "Infernal Affairs" is almost breaks my heart seeing him so wooden and out of place in here. For Zhang Ziyi, it felt that she had no chemistry with the other actors which is a huge problem since the main plot of the movie is the love story. However, she does look good in this movie so I won't be too hard on her.

Some of the good parts of the film were the Bamboo scene which really kick ass and the "Echo Game" (drum) scene with Zhang Ziyi and Andy Lau. The visuals of the film were not up to par to "Hero" and the film almost had a grainy looked to it (don't know if it was intentional or not). Although the use of the seasons especially Fall and Winter were really good.
One other thing that I almost forgot, Zhang Yimou used CGI on some of the shots which can be a little distracting especially nowadays that it seems every movie with an action scene uses this method.

People seeing this film needs to be aware that this movie is a love story, not a "wuxia" or "kung fu" film. People expecting the latter will be dissapointed.
Overall, I'll recommend this movie as a DVD rental and nothing more than that.
Old 09-12-04, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Grimfarrow
BTW, the end theme song for the movie is....in English?!??! I've been watching a film completely spoken in Chinese, taking place in 852AD China, and the end theme song is in English?!??! People in my theatre actually booed when they realized it was in English! Oi vay....
Grimfarrow, that was exactly what I was thinking when they were playing this song during the credits.

Although I don't hate the movie as much as you do, I can't in good conscience recommend this movie to people to see it in the theatres.
Old 11-30-04, 01:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
so what's the deal here, it's getting a New York/LA release this Friday: the 3rd of December, when's the national roll-out of the film?
Old 11-30-04, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Giles
so what's the deal here, it's getting a New York/LA release this Friday: the 3rd of December, when's the national roll-out of the film?
I could be wrong, but as far sa I know this isn't getting a national release, just a few select cities. Which is a damn shame b/c I think it's a brilliant film. I liked it much more than Hero (although I do think Hero is the better movie), but I'm probably bias since I'm in love with Ziyi Zhang & she is pretty much in every second of Flying Daggers.

It's truly a movie that should be seen on the big screen.
Old 11-30-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I want to give this movie another chance hoping that it improves the second time around.
Old 11-30-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Grimfarrow's on crack.

"House of Flying Daggers" far exceeded my expectations. If you dug "Crouching Tiger" and "Hero," "House of Flying Daggers" will be right up your alley.

Yes, the plot twists were a bit "soap opera-ey." Yes, the translated Engligh subtitles are a tad hokey. But the fight choreography, the cinematography and the sound design are head and shoulders above much of its U.S competition.
Old 11-30-04, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Sessa17
I could be wrong, but as far sa I know this isn't getting a national release, just a few select cities. Which is a damn shame b/c I think it's a brilliant film. I liked it much more than Hero (although I do think Hero is the better movie), but I'm probably bias since I'm in love with Ziyi Zhang & she is pretty much in every second of Flying Daggers.

It's truly a movie that should be seen on the big screen.
Im with you 100% on all counts...In fact I may go see it in the movies just to see it on the big screen and Zhang in all her glory eventhough I already have the dvd.
Old 11-30-04, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Grimfarrow
But I've been seeing a bunch of new films lately, including STEAMBOY.
Sorry to take this off-topic, but Grim how did you like Steamboy because it is one of my most anticipated films of the coming year.
Old 12-01-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm assuming this movie arrived on our shores unscathed since it's SONY PICTURES and not MIRAHACKS distributing, but I'm just double checking. So is it uncut/subtitled and all that? No booty shaking rap music either?
Old 12-01-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by darqleo
I'm assuming this movie arrived on our shores unscathed since it's SONY PICTURES and not MIRAHACKS distributing, but I'm just double checking. So is it uncut/subtitled and all that? No booty shaking rap music either?
There should be no cuts however as indicated on this thread earlier be aware that
Spoiler:
the end song of this movie is in English
And no, that is not a change by Sony Pictures.
Old 12-01-04, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by LorenzoL
There should be no cuts however as indicated on this thread earlier be aware that
Spoiler:
the end song of this movie is in English
And no, that is not a change by Sony Pictures.
Eh that's not too big of a deal. Looks like I'll be seeing this in the theater then instead of scouring the 'net for the import DVD.
Old 12-05-04, 09:57 PM

i just got back from seeing this and was impressed overall, but i felt a little cheated at the end.
Spoiler:
i mean, i knew it was going to end after the fight between jin and leo, but didn't anyone want to see the house of flying daggers fight the general?
;__;

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.