Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Strangers with Candy: the Movie

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Strangers with Candy: the Movie

Old 07-03-06, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
I wish they would have just kept all the original cast from the show. I know they kept most of them, but they replaced Jerry's dad, her brother Derek, and Orlando. Anybody else?
The show cast the HS students as young as possible (instead of the usual 25 year olds playing TV HS kids) in order to keep Jerri looking as old and out of place as possible. I think those actors probably just look their age now. They did keep the redhead "copertop", because they felt she looked the same, but I thought she looked a few years older than the rest of the students.
Old 07-03-06, 02:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Jerry's dad is in the film? I guess it takes place earlier than the second season, then.
Old 07-03-06, 02:15 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It's a prequel.
Old 07-03-06, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChristopherS
The show cast the HS students as young as possible (instead of the usual 25 year olds playing TV HS kids) in order to keep Jerri looking as old and out of place as possible. I think those actors probably just look their age now. They did keep the redhead "copertop", because they felt she looked the same, but I thought she looked a few years older than the rest of the students.
Yeah, but in the series they also had Paul Rudd and Winona Ryder playing high school students, so accuracy in aging isn't exactly what the series is known for.

Also, if the guy who played her father in the series is still alive, I wish they'd used him again.
Old 07-03-06, 02:51 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
They had Paul Rudd and Winona Ryder in the series finale. The general thrust of the show was to make Jerri look older than everyone else.
Old 07-03-06, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
Yeah, but in the series they also had Paul Rudd and Winona Ryder playing high school students, so accuracy in aging isn't exactly what the series is known for.

Also, if the guy who played her father in the series is still alive, I wish they'd used him again.
I'm pretty sure he died, or is at least retired by now.
To their credit they brought back a lot of random characters like Stew the meat man, Principal Blackmon's secretary, and Coach Wolfe.

One of my favorite lines:
Jerri: Hi I'm Jerri Blank and I attended this school years ago and would like to return.
Blackmon: (looks Jerri over) I'm sorry but this school already has a janitor.
Old 07-03-06, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I did see Sedaris on Letterman acting like she was on drugs a few weeks ago while promoting the movie.
That's the way she always acts...DWAYNE!

Her Frances McDormand was amazing.

"I feel asleep at the beach. I woke up to two footlong hotdogs and a bag of chips...a lot went down."
Old 07-09-06, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ďHello, Iím Jerri Blank and Iím an alcoholic. Iím also addicted to amphetamines and mainline narcotics. Some people say I have a sex addiction, but I think all those years of prostitution was just a means to feed my ravenous hunger for heroin. Itís kinda like the chicken or the nugget. The point is, Iím addicted to gambling. Thank you.Ē
Old 07-10-06, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The movie opens in Nashville this Friday. I'll definitely be there.
Old 07-25-06, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw it sunday.

I definately thought it had it's moments, but mainly during the first half. I thought it really lost steam the second half. Lots of bombs and too much focus on the main story.

The new actors brought it down too. Of course with new actors taking over roles of beloved characters there will be automatic complaints. But I had a pretty open mind, and not too high expectations for the film. Megawatty was too pathetically depressing. Orlando got picked on and did dorky things, but he was still respectable. The new Derrich looked surprisingly similar and performed about the same, but I didn't like the vibe around him. Maybe that is a case of bias.

Also with Stew, in the show he had all these warm moments where he would act like an exaggerated great guy, and it fits the actor perfectly and is creepy and enjoyable. In the movie every line he had was yelling about how annoyed he was.

There were positives though. Blackman, Noblet, and Jellineck were great. I wish they got more time instead of the scenes with Jerri and her friends.

Another thing that might have ruined it for me was the crowd. This was crazy. I went to a matinee sunday show in palo alto, which is a wealthy suburb with an art house theater, which I've never been to before. I walked in during the previews, and expected to see a few young people scattered around an empty theater. I walked in and it was PACKED with elderly people, probably 85% capacity. A sea of grey hair, seriously. I was shocked. I thought "they have no idea what they are about to watch." There were some fans who laughed, but the huge elderly audience didn't like it at all. Only one person walked out, but the atmosphere sucked. I was still chuckling at the beginning though, but I think the audience wore me down.

Fans should definately rent the dvd, but I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to see it. Maybe I'll like it more the second time around, with better viewing conditions.
Old 07-25-06, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Matt925: I agree. There are definitely some hilarious moments but overall, I would give the movie a B-/C+. Many of the television episodes were better.