Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

City of God

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-04, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
City of God

Just watched City of God and I was blown away. Just an incredbile film. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.
Old 07-12-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Searching is good

"City of God" - utterly amazing! go, go, go see this movie!
Old 07-12-04, 05:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good movie but repetitive and really rather predictable. After a while it's just "alright, who's gonna die in this scene?"
Old 07-12-04, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Totally agree, excellent movie. Harrowing life, I can't compalin about my childhood at all after watching this Very vibrant directing style too.
Old 07-12-04, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Rivero
Good movie but repetitive and really rather predictable. After a while it's just "alright, who's gonna die in this scene?"
I definately see your point. I found it to be an interesting film, but nothing I'd really ever want to see again.
Old 07-12-04, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
really enjoyed this film. one of my favorite DVD purchases so far this year.
Old 07-13-04, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This film not being nominated for best picture last year was crazy.

Damn_crazy.
Old 07-13-04, 10:30 AM

Agreed. Amazing film.
Old 07-14-04, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Searching is good

That's so odd. I searched for it multiple times in different ways all the way up to the past 6 months. Weird.
Old 07-15-04, 02:58 AM

In Brazil after the success of the movie the same team made a mini TV serie called "Cidade dos Homens".
I do not speak Portuguese but I could not resist watching the first episode (a friend of mine got the Brazilian DVD).

This is brilliant. Just hope one day it will be available outside Brazil.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364801/
Old 07-15-04, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had a female journalist (from Brazil) speak at my school last year, and I didn't really know what to ask her.

I decided to ask her about City of God, which she said she'd seen and liked.

I liked it too although it was very painful to watch at times.
Old 07-15-04, 10:56 AM
Cool New Member

This is an amazing film. The cinematography is beatiful. Although sometimes the deaths are predictable the film is still very enoyable to watch. I love the style of the narration "but it is not time to tell his story"
Old 08-08-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Searching is good

Pretty hard to search for a movie that 2 of the 3 words in the title are less than 4 letters long. Agreed that you can search with "city" and weed through every other thread with the word city in it, but this is less than ideal.
Old 08-08-04, 03:08 PM
Banned

It's funny how much it bothers DVDtalk members when you *gasp* start a thread on a movie when there has already been at least ONE other thread about the movie in DVDTALK's history!!!

Please, who wants to read through the same old 10 page long thread every time a movie is to be discussed? When a thread gets too long, it just becomes cluttered with debates that no one cares about. Easier to just start a new thread. I can understand if a new movie came out a week ago, and people keep making multiple threads about it. But when the only other thread of a movie was made a year ago, its pretty much dead, might as well start a new thread.

I'm talking in general here, I don't know if this happened in the old City of God thread.

Last edited by William Wallace; 08-08-04 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-08-04, 11:13 PM

Can someone please explain to me what is so ground breaking and amazing about this film? I saw it and while I agree it was a good film, I dont get the high praise it recieves.
Old 08-09-04, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Banky
I saw it and while I agree it was a good film, I dont get the high praise it recieves.
You know what Banky, I agree. I rented it about a month or so ago, and thought it was pretty good. Nothing I'd call amazing.... just, pretty good. Maybe it was the portaguese and subtitles that kept me out of the movie, but it just didn't grab me as it did with most people.
Old 08-09-04, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by MasterCXtreme
You know what Banky, I agree. I rented it about a month or so ago, and thought it was pretty good. Nothing I'd call amazing.... just, pretty good. Maybe it was the portaguese and subtitles that kept me out of the movie, but it just didn't grab me as it did with most people.
You shoulda saw it in the theatre.
Old 01-30-05, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
A search for the word "City" doesn't bring up this thread, for some reason, and you can't search for "of" or "God".

Anyway, just saw this movie last night, it is pretty amazing as well as scary (scary from a social aspect, not a goblin jumping from behind a tree type of scary).

Great job of filming!

If you rent the DVD, watch the documentary on it, it talks about the City of God as of ~ '99 (when the documentary was made) and interviews some cops who go there on a routine basis (gunfights roughly 1 out of every 2 visits), and the dealers.
Old 01-30-05, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I agree - a brilliant film.
Old 01-30-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I loved the movie. I went in thinking this was going to be love story. Not sure where I got that idea, maybe from the box cover. The extra with the real life crime stuff was nuts. That is how america will be if we don't end the war of drugs. It was just insane the type of gear they were using. They had the one cop talking about how he used this big ass gun like something you would see mounted on a tank, against some drug kids. All I was thinking is how many other people got hit by that thing.
Old 01-30-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by William Wallace
It's funny how much it bothers DVDtalk members when you *gasp* start a thread on a movie when there has already been at least ONE other thread about the movie in DVDTALK's history!!!

Please, who wants to read through the same old 10 page long thread every time a movie is to be discussed? When a thread gets too long, it just becomes cluttered with debates that no one cares about. Easier to just start a new thread. I can understand if a new movie came out a week ago, and people keep making multiple threads about it. But when the only other thread of a movie was made a year ago, its pretty much dead, might as well start a new thread.

I'm talking in general here, I don't know if this happened in the old City of God thread.
I agree man.It's like people get a kick out of trying to show people up by pointing out that a thread already existed (however old that thread may be).Give it a rest already.
Old 01-30-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Great film, it really reminded me of my childhood. After growing up on the hard streets of Anchorage I can really empathize with the main characters. Add some polar bear attacks and frozen tundra and you have my life story.
Old 02-19-05, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Brilliant film. It's just so well constructed and stylish that it hooks you in and won't let you go. I loved the characters, so well drawn. Heard it described as a Brazilian Goodfellas but I wouldn't go along with it.
Old 02-19-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fantastic film, but felt it could have shredded a few minutes.
Old 02-20-05, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Great film, it really reminded me of my childhood. After growing up on the hard streets of Anchorage I can really empathize with the main characters. Add some polar bear attacks and frozen tundra and you have my life story.
Hmm yeah and chasing chickens with guns across the tundra I bet..

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.