Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Will 9/11 be nominated for best picture?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Will 9/11 be nominated for best picture?

Old 07-10-04, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
What other films will it go up against in the best pic catagory?

It might get nominated, but doubtful it'll get the award.
Right now i would say passion of christ,as far as the other 3 your guess is as good as mine
Old 07-10-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Keyser_Soze2
What about "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"? Or "Life is Beautiful"? Or "Il Postino"?

Early prediction (and yes, I know you'll all think I'm crazy): "Fahrenheit 9/11" will win Best Documentary AND either Best Picture or Best Director.

Which is quite disturbing, since it wasn't even a very good movie.
Foreign films are also fictional films unlike documentaries. I'm sure it could be nominated but it won't be.
Old 07-10-04, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by Corvin
Personally, I don't feel it's that good of a picture. So no.
Quality hasn't been a real Best Picture factor in at least a decade.
Old 07-10-04, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 477 Likes on 314 Posts
I have a feeling that like Crouching Tiger ect... 911 will get nominated in both catagories, but will only win in the Doc one.

What I'm wondering though, is what Moore's acceptance speech will be when/if Bush is re-elected. He couldn't be too celebritory.
Old 07-10-04, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope not. I doubt it will.
Old 07-10-04, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think that this movie is monumental and if Bush loses the election, then this will film will get nominated. If Bush wins and there is riots in the streets, then this film will get nominated. If Bush wins and no one does nothing to save their country after this disaster, then this film will not win. If Nader wins, then F/11 will be known as the single most important movie in cinema history but Spider-Man 2 will beat it at the Oscars.
Old 07-10-04, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by necros
If there was a "Best editing what people say to make them say something different" category, I'm sure he'd win
Right on. These MM threads are more entertaining than any of this flicks. thanks fot the laugh.
Old 07-10-04, 11:54 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by ChrisKnudsen
I think that this movie is monumental and if Bush loses the election, then this will film will get nominated. If Bush wins and there is riots in the streets, then this film will get nominated. If Bush wins and no one does nothing to save their country after this disaster, then this film will not win. If Nader wins, then F/11 will be known as the single most important movie in cinema history but Spider-Man 2 will beat it at the Oscars.
MUhahahahha, that's some funny shit.
Old 07-11-04, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Nope.
Old 07-11-04, 03:58 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A reason this probably won't happen: the Academy is made up of working professionals in the film business. Professionals who largely work in non-documentary films. They'll be more likely to reward a "real" movie (i.e., one with a full crew, set designers, etc.) because that is what THEY work on. Remember, it's not all actors and directors.

Besides, won't this be old news by January/February? The election will be in the bag by then. Granted, they could use the election results to prop up this movie (giving it credit if Bush loses), but otherwise...
Old 07-11-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Will someone please tell me why this film should be nominated for Best Picture?? Does anybody really believe it is??
Old 07-11-04, 05:23 PM

What an interesting Oscar race it would be if F9/11 and Passion of the Christ are nominated. Two films with very different but very vocal followings, both competing for best picture. I'd be surprised if either of them were nominated though. I think F9/11 is a pretty powerful film regardless of one's political affiliation but i don't see a doc being nominated. I guess Passion could be nominated since it made so much money but it was mostly trashed by critics. That would be like Independence Day being nominated.
Old 07-11-04, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by MurraySiskind
I guess Passion could be nominated since it made so much money but it was mostly trashed by critics. That would be like Independence Day being nominated.
Passion = Independence Day?? Not the best example.
I think most would agree that Passion being nominated would be much less a surprise than a bloated summer spectical like Independance Day would have been. Even though it made tons of money, Passion was a small film.

I think Passion is one of those movies that most reviewers already had an opinion on before they watched the film due to the subject matter which is very similar to the situation with F911. Its hard to be completely unbias while viewing it. Reviews were about 50/50 favorable for Passion if I recall which is hardly what I would consider being "trashed".

I think the chances of Passion being nominated are much higher than F911 primarily because F911 is a documentary. However, I doubt either is nominated.
Old 07-11-04, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by moocher
Passion = Independence Day?? Not the best example.
I think most would agree that Passion being nominated would be much less a surprise than a bloated summer spectical like Independance Day would have been.

It was hyperbole, I know. I was merely connecting two movies that made a ton of money and got bad reviews. Actually, according to the "Cream of the Crop" critics on rottentomatoes, Independence Day got better reviews.
Old 07-12-04, 05:51 PM
Banned

Originally posted by moocher
Will someone please tell me why this film should be nominated for Best Picture??
Er, because it's an excellently made film?
Old 07-12-04, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by Rivero
Er, because it's an excellently made film?
Actually, no. It's unfocused and lazy.

The other night I was reading some of Franken's "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them," and was amazed to discover that his chapter on Bush's pre-9/11 actions -- which comprised all of 10 pages -- was about a hundred times more compelling and persuasive than the entirety of Moore's film.

I thought "Fahrenheit 9/11" was okay when I first saw it (I gave it a **1/2 review), but the more I think about it, the more I resent the fact that Moore squandered an opportunity to make a really hard-hitting, thought-provoking film about the most controversial administration in U.S. history. Instead, he saw fit to deliver a weak, immature work filled with nothing but vague conspiracy theories and blind pleas to emotion.

Such a waste...
Old 07-13-04, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Moore knows the facts and instead of showing the complete destruction of Bush's adminstration, he would be just praising to the choir. By adding humor and the woman who lost her son in the war, he is picking up the swing voters. I remember watching the news and they interviewed a woman who voted republican all her life but then she cried because she felt that she did something wrong for voting for Bush. She did and she will correct her mistake in the next election but it was that raw emotion that people see on the screen that makes it powerful. Sure the facts are great to know but it is the death of the woman's son that actually moved people for her kid to die in a war she thought it was not worth fighting for. Not even the far right can deny that. And with this in mind, I will stick with my orignal post.
Old 07-13-04, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by ChrisKnudsen
I think Moore knows the facts and instead of showing the complete destruction of Bush's adminstration, he would be just praising to the choir. By adding humor and the woman who lost her son in the war, he is picking up the swing voters. I remember watching the news and they interviewed a woman who voted republican all her life but then she cried because she felt that she did something wrong for voting for Bush. She did and she will correct her mistake in the next election but it was that raw emotion that people see on the screen that makes it powerful. Sure the facts are great to know but it is the death of the woman's son that actually moved people for her kid to die in a war she thought it was not worth fighting for. Not even the far right can deny that. And with this in mind, I will stick with my orignal post.
I'm sorry, but this sort of emotional response could be found for any war, and isn't a good argument. I'm sorry some woman changed her vote because of that bit, because that's hardly an informed reason to change your vote. Moore's film is high on emotions, but that doesn't make it good. Manipulative perhaps, successful also, but that doesn't mean it works on everyone. What you pointed out is exactly what many of us find wrong with Moore's film...if Bush's admin is so awful, why can't he just show that instead of pandering to the most obvious method to make his point. Sure, maybe he swings the more ignorant people, but he fails to make a point. And shouldn't making your point be more important than just making people feel like you had one?

I'm no Bush supporter, and I'm impressed by Moore's success, but I think his film isn't really up to spec and really just capitilizes on people's emotions and little else. Not enough to sway people who actually think about it.
Old 07-13-04, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

They have a seperate catagory for feature length documentaries. There is no reason why it would get nominated in the best picture catagory.
Old 07-13-04, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All I know is, if Anchorman doesn't win Best Picture this year, I'm moving to France.
Old 07-13-04, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Spanky BananaPants
All I know is, if Anchorman doesn't win Best Picture this year, I'm moving to France.
I'm with you man!
Old 07-13-04, 12:15 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Keyser_Soze2
Actually, no. It's unfocused and lazy.
Unfocused? In parts. Lazy. No.(there IS a difference) Excellently made? Still, the answer is yes. Sorry.
Old 07-13-04, 12:35 PM

If Hoop Dreams didn't get a nod for Best Picture, then no documentary deserves one.

RS
Old 07-13-04, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally posted by Abranut
They have a seperate catagory for feature length documentaries. There is no reason why it would get nominated in the best picture catagory.
They also have a seperate category for foreign film...that didn't stop Life is Beautiful from getting nominated in both categories.
Old 07-13-04, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah I would also like to point out that no other war documentaries have made more than 80 million dollars and have hit closer than home for our generation. To show that this is not a war worth fighting for you need to at least find one person who now believes that but used to. But anyways to keep this in the same post instead of a Moore battle, with this in mind, F/11 will be nominated.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.