Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone see "Anchorman"...how is it?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Anyone see "Anchorman"...how is it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-04, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Spoiler:
The news gang war was my favorite part as well. Didn't recognize Tim Robbins, thought it was John C. Reilly initially.
Old 07-10-04, 11:04 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Does "Anchorman" have any sensitivity whatsoever? I thought "Old School" had a little which is why I liked it so much more than other standard comedies.
Old 07-10-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by scott1598
Does "Anchorman" have any sensitivity whatsoever? I thought "Old School" had a little which is why I liked it so much more than other standard comedies.

That depends on how you define sensitivity. I suppose one could argue that it does.
Old 07-10-04, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worst movie?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

This movie was great! Really nailed the whole 70's News bravado/mystique perception.

I wonder if most who hated this film were just too young to take it in context? I ask this cause there were a few walk outs, but they were all teens.

Maybe I enjoyed it more cause I work in this field, but then again, my wife thought it was better than she expected.

I loved the whole Newsteam as street gang joke, I half expected the cameos from Vaughn and Stiller, but how the hell did Tim Robbins get thrown into this?

I loved this movie and wil buy it when the DVD comes out.
Old 07-10-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
The movie was just a pure dude IMO until Jack Black showed up, then it got pretty funny from there through the news team gang war. After that scene it got reverted back to being unfunny.
Old 07-10-04, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by lucasorion Did anyone else notice that the hippy teacher from "Freaks and Geeks" was sitting behind Burgundy in the restaurant?
Yeah, I noticed Mr. Rosso there too--it was right after Seth Rogen appears, too. That was one of the few things I enjoyed in this movie.
Old 07-10-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Loved it so much.

I caught a midnight showing of it, and it was great. There was a pretty big crowd, and they were very into it.

I thought it was so much better than Dodgeball, which was so much better than (the highly overrated) Old School.

I haven't laughed that much during a movie in a long long time, and I laughed a lot at Dodgeball which I just saw about a week ago.

Carrel totally stole every scene he was in, and his little outtake real during the credits was so funny. I wish the movie was on DVD now so I see all the stuff that didn't make the film.

There was just so much memorable stuff. The jazz flute, the cameos, the crew trying to pickup Corningstone, it goes on and on.

So yes, I totally loved it.
Old 07-10-04, 03:24 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I thought it was good.

Not a lot of laugh out loud moments but a bunch of little laughes.

The street fight was good but my favorite scene was Ron and Veronica's conversation during the end credits of the news.
Spoiler:
I'm going to punch you in the overy

Ferrell and the gang were good in their roles and I thought Christina Applegate was great as Veronica.
Old 07-10-04, 03:31 PM

Had a blast. Not the comedy revelation that Dodgeball was but very close.

And BAXTER Rules.
Old 07-10-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Um, did we all see the same movie? People are putting this AHEAD of Old School? My friends, the two aren't even close.

Funny parts, like with the "punch you in the ovaries" line and such, but it just fell way flat. Honestly, not even close to a buy on DVD. I am surprised people here liked it...Ferrell is great (my favorite comedic actor today) but he wrote a terrible script. Leave the writing to others in the future, is my advice.
Old 07-10-04, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by PJsig08
Um, did we all see the same movie? People are putting this AHEAD of Old School? My friends, the two aren't even close.
Many people, myself included, didn't see what the big deal was about Old School.
Old 07-10-04, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good comedy must be in the eye of the beholder.
Old 07-10-04, 07:37 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by RyoHazuki
Many people, myself included, didn't see what the big deal was about Old School.
Old 07-10-04, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I had reservations going into this film, and the first 10-15 minutes of the film was uninspired and dull, but then it takes off during the "Yazz Flute" scene and gets kicked it into another gear, and produced a lot of laughs for me throughout the rest of the movie.

Don't go in expecting a tightly plotted comedy, and you won't be let down. I literally was slapping my knee and laughing heartily at many of the scenes in this movie. Will Ferrell's Ron the anchorman could have easily been a dullard and uninteresting, but Ferrell's antic keep the laughs coming during Ron's stressful times, and adds just enough character growth to be sympathetic in the end. The Brick character (an insanely stupid weatherman) should have been one-note and lackluster in concept, but he just got funnier and funnier as the movie progressed. There is an interesting homage to West Side story in the movie, and it proved to be very amusing (though a bit graphic as it played out).

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

Last edited by Patman; 07-15-04 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-10-04, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Here's my spoiler-filled thoughts on the film:

I think I'd buy a DVD just of a outtakes of this movie because you know there was plenty of good stuff left on the cutting room floor.

I wasn't all that into the film in the first 10-15 minutes, but then the "Yazz flute" scene arrives, and the movie just gets more relaxed and funnier all the way to the end.

I thought it was funny that Christina Applegate was giving as good as she was getting. Carrel was so deadpan funny in his attempts to fit in while being severely undermine by his miniscule intellect.

Spoiler:
I almost pissed myself during the scene where Ron asks Veronica if he could show her the town, and his obvious arousal was on display (pitching a tent, so to speak). You think about it, but you just never expect to see it in a movie. Hee hee hee, still laughing about it when I recall that scene.

I also almost lost it when Baxter saved the day with his negotiating skills with the bears. Loved those subtitles of animal speak.
Old 07-11-04, 12:58 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
That depends on how you define sensitivity. I suppose one could argue that it does.
I just means that "Old School" wasn't all slapstick and that there were parts where you were supposed to feel for Mitch. If AM is being compared just wondering if it had any poignant moments whatsoever that redeem the slapstick movie and take it to another level, albeit we're not talking "Terms of Endearment" here, but you get the point.
Old 07-11-04, 02:59 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

I think you could make the case that it does. I haven't see Old School in a while so I don't remember the poignant moments in that to compare the two.
Old 07-11-04, 12:34 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by PJsig08
You are right. The two aren't even close. Anchorman is alot better.
Old 07-11-04, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by dxwwf3
You are right. The two aren't even close. Anchorman is alot better.
I agree. I thought Old School was one of the coolest movies around ... so so refreshing ... until the last half hour. It fell into that same hole that Bruce Almighty went into. I assumed that Anchorman would do the same thing.

I guess it's just my style, but I loved Anchorman. It surpassed Dodgeball with teh funny. And it kept a very funny tone right up until the end. You know, like the first three Farrely Brothers movies, Ace Ventura, and all of those.

The Steve Correl and the street-gang fight were the funniest parts.

See this movie, and "go **** yourself, San Diego".
Old 07-11-04, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by troystiffler
I agree. I thought Old School was one of the coolest movies around ... so so refreshing ... until the last half hour. It fell into that same hole that Bruce Almighty went into. I assumed that Anchorman would do the same thing.

I guess it's just my style, but I loved Anchorman. It surpassed Dodgeball with teh funny. And it kept a very funny tone right up until the end. You know, like the first three Farrely Brothers movies, Ace Ventura, and all of those.
Yep, my thoughts exactly. Anchorman had big laughs throughout the entire movie, while Old School, which started off great, turned painfully unfunny once the cliche underdog decathlon began.

Looking forward to a loaded DVD thanks to the Freaks & Geeks producer.
Old 07-11-04, 04:13 PM

From a story standpoint, Anchorman was awful. However, it was also incredibly hilarious. With a comedy, a lot is forgiven as long as it makes me laugh, and this made me laugh a lot. I'll give it a solid B+. "Wow, a rainbow! Do me on it!"
Old 07-11-04, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe I was just in a good mood or with the right crowd, but I thought Anchorman was one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. There were some scenes I was tearing up because I was laughing so hard (mostly Carrell's scenes).

I don't really know why people try to argue if something is funny or not. It's all subjective. This movie has my type of humor. I love the awkward moments and the strange 70s references (the cartoon sequence, spontaneous singing, etc). Kinda sucks that more people don't find it funny, but I like what I like and I'll definetely buy the DVD. Can't wait to see what was cut out.
Old 07-12-04, 12:28 AM

Spoiler:
My friend thought that Sally Field was Pamela Anderson. I kept explaining to him that she would have been about 13 (just checked, 14) when that movie was filmed.
Old 07-12-04, 12:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Surprised it's getting mixed reviews. I saw it Friday night, and my stomach hurt from laughing so hard. I loved it.
Old 07-12-04, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It really started out pretty slow for me, but after about 15-20 minutes (when Applegate joined the newscrew) it really picked up. Carrel stole the show and all the cameos were great.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.