Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005)... hmmm. (merged)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005)... hmmm. (merged)

Old 09-18-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Purchased it has a blind buy since I didn't get to theaters to see it soon enough. While it pretty good, I considered it a wash since I spent about the same as two movies tickets. Plus I may watch it agin and enjoy more in the future.
Old 09-18-05, 03:22 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 512 Likes on 447 Posts
Originally Posted by troystiffler
I know OF the source material. But never read the books.

It's cosmic whimsical satire. Poking fun at our own existance. Okay, okay. Kind of like in DOGMA, when the girl asks "why are we all here", and God laughs and 'boops' her nose. Existance can be irrelevant.

I'm kind of surprised that there wasn't much Christian Televangalist picketing bullshit when this came out. IMO, the material is 5x more insulting to religon than Harry Potter. Bunch of effing wacks. Maybe because everyone is so English. And the English are just so damn lovable.

And Scott, DON'T FORGET YOUR TOWEL!
but what's up with
Spoiler:
Robert DeNiro
?? that was him right?
Old 09-18-05, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 259 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
but what's up with
Spoiler:
Robert DeNiro
?? that was him right?
I watched the movie and I don't remember seeing him in it. Are you referring to John Malkovitch?
Old 09-18-05, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 157 Posts
and why was the last image of the movie that of
Spoiler:
Robert Deniro???
is that a joke in the book or something?
The last image is of Douglas Adams. His image appears several times in the movie.

For those complaining about changes from the book/BBC series - they were all changes made by Adams himself before his death and not by co-screenwriter Karey Kirkpatrick.

I was lucky enough to interview director Garth Jennings last week...anyone interested can read the interview here:

http://www.dvdempire.com/Content/int...thjennings.asp
Old 09-19-05, 09:14 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 512 Likes on 447 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The last image is of Douglas Adams. His image appears several times in the movie.

For those complaining about changes from the book/BBC series - they were all changes made by Adams himself before his death and not by co-screenwriter Karey Kirkpatrick.

I was lucky enough to interview director Garth Jennings last week...anyone interested can read the interview here:

http://www.dvdempire.com/Content/int...thjennings.asp
really? you're sure? i paused it on DVD and could swear that was Bobby. anyone gave any screenshots or at least a pic of Adams?
Old 09-19-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
really? you're sure? i paused it on DVD and could swear that was Bobby. anyone gave any screenshots or at least a pic of Adams?

The commentary clearly states that the final shot is Adams.....so yes.......we are sure.
Old 09-19-05, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any word on a sequel?
Old 03-31-08, 06:45 PM
Banned

Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy

Was anyone else as disappointed as I was in this movie? I listened to the original radio show on cassette some time back and loved every minute of it. But this movie stunk in my opinion.

Am I alone here or what?
Old 03-31-08, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah i thought it was a mess back when i saw it. I tried my hardest to sit through it and finish it, but i hard to turn it off. It was just too wierd, like a Sci-Fi Alice in Wonderland.
Old 03-31-08, 07:01 PM

i liked the flick more than the book, which is rare. i haven't read adams other books, but i thought the first one was very vague on details. he just doesn't describe things to my liking. the movie was pretty and had a couple interesting characters. the tril/arthur love is necessary, imo.
Old 03-31-08, 07:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by joeee
i liked the flick more than the book, which is rare. i haven't read adams other books, but i thought the first one was very vague on details. he just doesn't describe things to my liking. the movie was pretty and had a couple interesting characters. the tril/arthur love is necessary, imo.
I have not read the book, but I thought the original radio show was great. If you liked the movie you would love the radio show
Old 03-31-08, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 460 Likes on 326 Posts
Originally Posted by ebno
Was anyone else as disappointed as I was in this movie? I listened to the original radio show on cassette some time back and loved every minute of it. But this movie stunk in my opinion.

Am I alone here or what?
Welcome... your answers my lie here:
Original Thread
Follow Up Thread
Old 03-31-08, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dammit.

I thought this might be news of a sequel.

I have to say that the movie was a bit out there but having gone back to read the book again after the movie came out there is certainly things just as odd in the book. I had the book ages ago and must of had it in storage when the movie came out because I will be damned if I could find the thing. I took my wife to see the movie and she enjoyed it a great deal as did I. It inspired me to read the book again and also hope they would make a sequel. If the book wasn't such a wild read I would suggest it to my wife but she's not one to stick with a book so long and wordy.

My buddy in college carried a towel with him every place he went up till the day he died. He was a nerd of the highest caliber and I feel would of loved the movie.
Old 03-31-08, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I loved Martin Freeman in the original Office but casting a relative unknown in the principal role was a big mistake. I know they were trying to find a guy who could play an everyman but Freeman practically blended in with the backdrops.
Old 04-01-08, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Welcome... your answers my lie here:
Original Thread
Follow Up Thread
I think what I said in that first thread still stands:

I think the biggest problem with the movie was that everything seemed so rushed. They were trying to cram in as much stuff as possible into two hours, and the ended up blowing past some of the more important parts. The scenes explaining Deep Thought and the Ultimate Question and the Earth Mach II seemed to fly by so fast, that I'm not sure people who didn't know the book already would really know what was going on there. I think they need to give those scenes are few more minutes to let that all soak in. And then didn't even give an adequate explanation for the towel.

Overall, I was satisfied with it, but that's it. It wasn't bad, it wasn't amazing, it was just somewhere in between. 3 Stars, and I'm still hoping for Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Old 04-01-08, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Absolutely hated it. I didn't think Martin Freeman was a bad choice, but I think casting Mos Def as Ford Prefect was a terrible decision.

There will never be a sequel, so anyone still holding out hope can abandon that dream right now.
Old 04-01-08, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 896 Likes on 603 Posts
I remember the original BBC tv series so I was excited about the film. The casting was cool and it seemed like a movie that would be great. However, the film made no impact on me. I barely remember seeing it and that's a not a good thing.
Old 04-01-08, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 126 Likes on 97 Posts
Never read the book.

Love the movie. Watch it frequently.

It's funny. It has all kind of neato abstract ideas. The CG and set design are blended beautifully - an example of how to PROPERLY use modern FX.

Don't panic!
Old 04-01-08, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't really believe that there will NEVER be a sequel. Even Freeman says, "there isn't at this point." That's a lot different than never. Some studio will be throwing around ideas and greenlight it someday.
Old 04-01-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 961 Likes on 728 Posts
I enjoy it as another facet of the Hitchhiker's universe. We've watched the DVDs many, many times, and we'll often run it in the background as "comfort noise".
Old 04-01-08, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really liked it. Probably because it was quite different from the book (which I do love). I'd love a sequel, but hold no hope for it. Oh well, the DVD will still gets spun around a lot. I think it makes a great triple feature with The Princess Bride and Stardust.
Old 04-01-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 310 Likes on 219 Posts
I kinda liked it - though it would've been much better if it was directed by an appropriate director like, say, Terry Gillium.
Old 04-01-08, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by ebno

Am I alone here or what?
I'm a huge fan of the original radio series and Douglas Adams books, particularly the first two. I even really like the relatively recent radio series sequels that adapted the rest of Adams' HHGTTG books.

But this movie I thought was a complete and utter disaster. It seemed like the filmmakers clearly did not "get" the humour of what they were making, and combine that with poor casting and bad design choices all around. It was a totally missed opportunity, one that is almost unforgivable due to the old low-budget BBC miniseries and the old live stage version providing excellent guides on how to capture Adams' books reasonably well both in live action and in a shorter running time.

Next to Bonfire of the Vanities, this is the second worst book-to-film adaptation I have ever seen.
Old 04-02-08, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow, very varried feelings on this flick. I am a huge fan of the books (particularly the first two) as well as the radio-show, and I thought the movie was a great companion piece. It was great to see a lot of the book on screen, though I thought the newly written parts were a bit bland (even John Malkavich couldn't save that), but hey, it was written by Douglas Adams, and I feel it still got the right sense of humor.

I definitely spin it on my DVD player once in a while, as well as find myself thinking about it every so often. I really hope for a sequel, Mod Def was a great version of Ford Prefect, and Martin Freeman is a perfect Arthur. Bill Nighy was a stroke of genius as Slartibartfast. I would love to see how they do the Restaurant at the End of the Universe. Hell, I'd love to see how they do the croquet scene from Book 3!
Old 04-02-08, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There wasn't any humour not to get with the film. It was not going for the same exact vibe as the books or the radio or the TV series, which it shouldn't. I've seen the story a lot, so it changed again, great. It felt enough like the other iterations while still being very different. Exactly what I hoped for.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.