Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Would Venom and Carnage be in Spiderman 3?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-30-04, 01:04 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are your thoughts of this? I think it would be really cool to have these 2 characters on the next spidey movie.
Old 06-30-04, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Not going to happen. Raimi is definately directing Spiderman 3, and he does not like those characters and will not put them in the movie.

Simple as that.

Close thread.
Old 06-30-04, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why doesn't he like them?
Old 06-30-04, 01:19 AM

Having both Venom and Carnage in the same movie would be a storytelling disaster. You'd have to first establish Venom's origin (which is cumbersome enough), and then show him being jailed, and then show the alien symbiote breaking him out and leaving stuff behind that fuses with Eddie Brock's cellmate. That's not even mentioning the period where Peter Parker was effectively Venom. It'd be way too confusing for mainstream audiences.
Old 06-30-04, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
While it won't happen, a Venom origin story like in the animated series would work just fine. I hope we see a Venom/Spidey battle after Raimi leaves, as that would make for some interesting battles.
Old 06-30-04, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The only problem I can see with a Spiderman/Venom movie is two web swinging characters=budget of $7.21 trillion dollars.
Old 06-30-04, 01:33 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Yeah, you guys are right, too complex of a storyline to tell in 2 hours. Maybe they can spin it off to Venom's own movie. Like Scorpion King from the Mummy.
Old 06-30-04, 02:11 AM

maybe it's because i stopped actively buying spidey comics before these two that I do not have any love for them. They just seem so contrived from an outsider point of view. With the knowledge of Spiderman early and midway through the series these two have never fit into my view of typical spidey villains. For me the symbiote died or was contained with the help of Reed Richards. Oh well my two cents.

Then again ...Spidey's appeal is his connection to everyman. He has problems with bills, work, relationships, etc. I guess it would be hard to make feature films based on these run of the mill problems. I guess in retrospect there were not many "events" from which a movie can be made.
Old 06-30-04, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I don't see Venom or Carnage being the villain for Spidey 3 since...

Don't swipe if you haven't seen Spidey 2!
Spoiler:
Harry looks to be turning into the Green Goblin for the next one.

Plus, my understanding is that the Venom movie rights have been sitting at New Line Studios for the past ten years or so. I believe they bought the rights to the character when he was a hot property circa '93, but then realized you couldn't really tell his story without Spider-Man, whose own rights were in legal hell at that point. The rights could have reverted back to Marvel by now though, or Sony and New Line could simply do a joint production since they have worked together alot lately on most of Adam Sandler's newer stuff.
Old 06-30-04, 03:52 AM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
As someone else said, Venom's backstory alone would take up most of a film. You have to establish that Parker has the symbiote, which he gets in the Secret Wars, then that he realizes it's a symbiote, gets rid of it, and then do the whole Sin Eater story to establish Eddie Brock, and then you can finally start the story where Venom fights Spider-Man. So the movie would either have to be three hours or they do some drastic rewriting to the Venom backstory.

Also, at least with the first film (seeing the second tomorrow so I can't comment yet), it seemed like Raimi was going for a brighter, more comic-book feel, and the Venom and Carnage storylines are a completely different mood and style.

And Spider-Man was never "effectively Venom." He wore the symbiote for a while, and it would take him out for midnight strolls while he was asleep, but he never ate brains or grew a mouth on the suit or anything like that. He didn't even get more vicious (although he does vow to kill the Hobgoblin at one point).
Old 06-30-04, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Venom's backstory is to complex. even if they went with the cartoon story it would take a while to set up. Just not going to happen.

You already introduced Connors and the other set up in Spidey2 so it's pointless to toss in another. Carnage is even further away since his set up is terrible. I say get into the sinister six before you ever mess with all those stupid symbiote characters.
Old 06-30-04, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts
I say they should bring in Ben Reilly!

Andrew
Old 06-30-04, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yeah raimi said straight up that as long as he's directing, they will NEVER be in the movie
Old 06-30-04, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by glassdragon
yeah raimi said straight up that as long as he's directing, they will NEVER be in the movie
Which I am glad about. There are many other Spidey villains that are just as cool. I really hope that
Spoiler:
Green Goblin II
is not the next villain in Spidey3.
Old 06-30-04, 08:17 AM
Banned

Hobgoblin
Old 06-30-04, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I haven't seen Spiderman 2 yet, but from what I hear, it's pretty much a lock that the Lizard will be the bad guy for 3.

D
Old 06-30-04, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think Lizard is the best choice for 3. Kraven would be interesting, though.
Old 06-30-04, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by evitagen
I think Lizard is the best choice for 3. Kraven would be interesting, though.
Isn't the villain origin going to get a little repetitive here? Green Goblin, Doc Ock and Lizard are all good-natured scientists who are corrupted by their own inventions/breakthroughs.
Old 06-30-04, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by NitroJMS
Isn't the villain origin going to get a little repetitive here? Green Goblin, Doc Ock and Lizard are all good-natured scientists who are corrupted by their own inventions/breakthroughs.
Good call.
Old 06-30-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lizard doesn't seeme to intelligent enough for the main villian in Spidey 3. How about having both Lizard and Kraven: Spidey is trying to save Lizard when Kraven shows up to hunt Lizard.

I wouldn't mind Mysterio being the villian or Rhino showing up.
Old 06-30-04, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
God, I hope not. Those are two of the dumbest villains ever made.
Old 06-30-04, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 336 Likes on 240 Posts
Just bring on the Sinister Six. In 3 years, you'd think that Spidey would have had battles with these guys that they'd form an alliance of some sort while sitting in prison.

Old 06-30-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 212 Likes on 182 Posts
I would love Venom and Carnage, but I do kind of agree that their backstories alone would take up the entire movie. Would be interested in who would play Keltus Cassidy (sp), haha seriously someone should call Brock Lesnar from the WWE and let him know he looks like Eddie Brock.

also it reminds me
Spoiler:
in X2 they introduced the saga of the phoenix, even though mainstream audiences didn't get it, a lot of fans like myself got the jean grey/phoenix thing. that saga in itself is a little much to tell in 1 movie as well.
Old 06-30-04, 02:02 PM

Though I love both Venom and Carnage, everyone here is correct.
It would take much to long to ever just set up Venom, yet alone carnage.

Hell, why not do a complete departure and try for one of the short isolated stories.....

Spidey & Wolvy in Germany fighting each other in a cemetary for some reason or another.

They could go any number of ways with Spidey 3, and they'll do it well.
Old 06-30-04, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts
For hopefully the final time.....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.