Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Favourite Orson Welles Film

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Favourite Orson Welles Film

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-04, 06:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I want to very strongly disagree with the posters in this thread who have suggested that Welles had a hand in directing The Third Man or who think they see his style all over it. It's just not true.

These rumors have been refuted for some time now. Welles did not direct anything in the Third Man and he only wrote the little speech about cucko clocks. Carol Reed was a masterful director and The Third Man is all his.

Frankly there's nothing in The Third Man that is indicative of Welles style. It doesn't look anything like a Welles film. No long takes, no intertextuality, no self reflexiveness. I like the Third Man, but if Welles did direct it, I'd put it near the bottom of my list of his films. It's certainly would be the least indicative of his personal style.
Old 06-26-04, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts
1 Citizen Kane
2 Touch of Evil
3 Chimes at Midnight
4 The Third Man

Touch of Evil is a lot more impressive on the big screen. The Third Man on film has a lot of detail that I can't see on my 27" TV. I wish I could see the others in a theater.
Old 06-26-04, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Pants

Frankly there's nothing in The Third Man that is indicative of Welles style. It doesn't look anything like a Welles film. No long takes, no intertextuality, no self reflexiveness. I like the Third Man, but if Welles did direct it, I'd put it near the bottom of my list of his films. It's certainly would be the least indicative of his personal style.
I disagree, I thought the scenes shot in the sewer and Welles' introductory scene were similar to his filming style in Kane, Ambersons, and The lady from Shanghai.

I think the similarity is due to the contrast and lighting. Joseph Cotton also makes it seem like a Welles film.
Old 06-26-04, 08:11 PM
Banned

If the style of the Third Man resembles any other director it's Fritz Lange more than anyone. Noir lighting and dutched angles are not unique to Welles films, nor are they an inovation started by him. Like I said, if there was a Welles "signature", then it was long takes, self reflexive techniques (ie. conscious forgrounding of film technique and technology), and a heavily experimental sound mix. The Third Man doesn't really have any of these "signatures". It just has Welles playing a roll in someone elses film, something he did frequently.

No one ever suggests that Welles was the actual director of Passolini's La Ricota, even though he actually plays a film director in that movie.
Old 06-26-04, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think anyone has ever stated that Welles actually directed The Third Man or any of the others in question, just that he heavily influenced the direction and had more to do behind the scenes than a simple acting credit would have you believe. Big difference.

I challenge you to watch The Third Man and Welles' Othello back to back and then tell me Carol Reed was flying solo on TTM.
Old 06-27-04, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally posted by Numanoid

I challenge you to watch The Third Man and Welles' Othello back to back and then tell me Carol Reed was flying solo on TTM.
How in the world could Welles "co-direct" Third Man when he was on the set for just a small fraction of the shoot? (he only had like 2 scenes in the whole thing)
Old 06-28-04, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Citizen Kane
Magnificent Ambersons
The Stranger
Touch of Evil
Lady from Shanghai
Old 06-28-04, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've only seen these two (and loved both):
Citizen Kane
The Third Man
Old 06-28-04, 10:42 AM
Suspended

Lady from Shanghai all the way!

Last edited by baracine; 06-28-04 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-28-04, 10:56 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Numanoid
I've seen both films and fail to see any similarity. How about you watch Carol Reed's Fallen Idol back to back with The Third Man and see how similar they are.

I'm sorry but I don't see any of the distinctive fingerprints that would indicate that Welles directed or co-directed the film.