Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wachowski Bros to direct Speed Racer (with Vince Vaughn and Keanu Reeves)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Wachowski Bros to direct Speed Racer (with Vince Vaughn and Keanu Reeves)

Old 05-15-08, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toddly6666
This movie is the type of live-action cartoon not for everyone. Growing up, I loved the Alvin and The Chipmunks cartoon, Garfield cartoon, Scooby Doo cartoon, and Flinstones cartoons, but you couldn't pay me to see the live-action movies of those flicks - and those films did financially well...Speed Racer is just a fair movie and a good film adaptation of a cartoon, but it should be at the same level as respect (if there is any respect for them?) as the above listed flicks.
Dude, those above listed flicks were written and directed by hired hacks, whereas Speed was made by REAL FILMMAKERS. If that makes the criticism more harsh, so be it, but lumping the Wachowski's in with Raja Gosnell, Brian Levant, Peter Hewitt and Tim Hill is ridiculous.
Old 05-15-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
One of the NYC critics quietly observed "every generation has its own TRON".
Old 05-15-08, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tron was awesome though and still is!

MDC, I didn't mean to classify the type of director...what I meant was that there are some great cartoons out there that don't necessary make an amazing translation to screen regardless of the skills of the director. Speed Racer the movie is basically a car video game. Even the cartoon is like a car-racing video game. I don't like watching live-action video games (i.e. Star Wars prequels). There are movies of cartoons that I'm anticipating that could make an awesome translation to screen - G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K....There are even comics that don't make good translation to screen. For example, I don't know how Marvel is going to pull off THOR - whether it takes place in his world or our world. I love Thor and the comic, but I can't imagine it being done successfully on film, especially if he's going to be joining the Avengers. If they have to go the least goofy, I think they are going to have to go with Ultimate Thor - where he's an extremist hippy superhero and tone down his iconic way of speaking - just give him a Scandinavian accent if he's going to be in our world.
Old 05-15-08, 12:10 PM

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts
kinda off topic, but I always felt "The Matrix" was a bit overrated, and the sequels are underrated. I simply don't see what was so fantastic about the first movie that made the sequels "suck."
Old 05-15-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brack
kinda off topic, but I always felt "The Matrix" was a bit overrated, and the sequels are underrated. I simply don't see what was so fantastic about the first movie that made the sequels "suck."

Unlike the sequels The Matrix actually has a story that makes sense.

There's one thing the Wachowski's do right and that's make long boring dialog. And Speed Racer doesn't disappoint. There were times where conversation and exposition just kept going on and on and ON AND ON. Especially when the villain was explaining his motives. The movie would be 90 min if they cut out half of that shitty dialog.

I made a snarky comment when Pops saw Sparky in the kitchen after his long boring conversation with Speed. Pops says "What are you doing in there" I said to my friend, "Just hiding in the kitchen with the other throwaway characters." Which they were. Trixie, Sparky and Mom served no purpose. Don't get me started on Spritle? (Drinks a lot of Sprite I take it?) and Chim Chim. Most annoying side characters in movie history. I get it that it was true to the cartoon. If that is the case the cartoon must really suck. I had high hopes for this movie too.

I don't get who exactly the audience is for this movie. It's made for 10 year olds but no 10 year old knows who Speed Racer is. Maybe if this was made in the mid 90's it would have made more sense. Now people that grew up with Speed Racer are in there 40's.

They need to make a movie called Racer X and make it PG-13. That's a movie that would be awsome. He was the best part of Speed Racer.

Last edited by Mopower; 05-15-08 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-15-08, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mopower
Unlike the sequels The Matrix actually has a story that makes sense.
they all made sense to me, as much as any of these movies can make sense.
Old 05-15-08, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 767 Likes on 622 Posts
My take on the Matrix franchise, spoilered because it has absolutely nothing to do with Speed Racer:

Spoiler:

They all made sense, more or less, but whereas The Matrix had discovery and growth, the sequels just kind of ran with what they had and became an excess of visual effects and dull action scenes. Simply put, The Matrix had a solid lead character and you got to discovery this "world" with him, the sequels lost that entirely.

Noted still, I'm not a big fan of the series, the original is okay but alas wasn't particularly original (at this point Dark City was already one of my favorite movies and I'd seen Ghost in the Shell). I felt the pacing really falls through in spots. And it felt like a complete movie.

Reloaded, well, if you lopped off the first hour, I would say I actually enjoyed Reloaded more than the original entry. It had a videogame plot but I enjoyed the philosophical stuff and thought the action picked up quite nicely - from the restaurant scene onward (maybe it's because I have a thing for Monica Bellucci). The first hour, however, is pretty wretched. The Smith's fight sequence (with the never ending supply) is almost the low point of the series, or was, until I saw Revolutions. Revolutions was just flat out corny and squandered everything the first two movies built toward. The action scenes were a complete bore (the attack on Zion was snooze enducing) and the dialog was right out of the big book of war movie cliches. It was, simply put, fucking horrible. What makes it worse? The potential.

I actually haven't had a chance to see Speed yet, perhaps this weekend or next week.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-15-08 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-16-08, 12:12 AM

cool, at least you have your reasons. I only brought it up because of many comparisons of Speed Racer to the Matrix trilogy, and I just didn't see much in what they had in common.
Old 05-16-08, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

bottom line:

Speed Racer>>>>any Matrix movie (including the original)
Old 05-16-08, 10:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hapgilmore
bottom line:

Old 05-16-08, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
It may not be as ambitious, but it was far more entertaining. The only decent Matrix was the original, the sequels were garbage.
Old 05-16-08, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok enough about the fucking Matrix. Let's get back to how bad Speed Racer was.
Old 05-16-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 767 Likes on 622 Posts
Ok enough about the fucking Matrix. Let's get back to how bad Speed Racer was.
From what I've gathered.. not very.
Old 05-16-08, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by hapgilmore
bottom line:

Honestly, I am pretty much feeling the same. I still need to see SR another time or so to really make that decision... the Matrix is a pretty solid action flick and all, just didn't blow me away...

I had too much fun with SR for me too worry about it's flaws.

Where's the poll? Seems like the love for SR is surprisingly abundant.
Old 05-16-08, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 148 Likes on 116 Posts
I just got back from it and had a great time. I wasn't bored once and really don't get all the hate. I'll definitely be adding this to my Blu-Ray collection.

And I can't believe I'd ever say this but Mathew Fox was badass. I never cared for him in Lost but he was fantastic as Racer X.
Old 05-17-08, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I saw this today. It was better than I expected buy way, way too long. This is not the type of movie that needs to be over 90 minutes. If it was more focused it could've been much, much better. As it stands, I lukewarmly recommend it but just don't see the need to ever really see it again.
Old 05-17-08, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just back from seeing this. It was a solid flick. A bit long, maybe. It could have used some editing. Overall, though, I really dug it. Anyone else notice the Lost reference where the one racer was like "Don't tell me what I can't do!"? That was awesome.
Old 05-17-08, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RocShemp
I just got back from it and had a great time. I wasn't bored once and really don't get all the hate. I'll definitely be adding this to my Blu-Ray collection.

And I can't believe I'd ever say this but Mathew Fox was badass. I never cared for him in Lost but he was fantastic as Racer X.
Mathew Fox is in it??? Why am I just hearing this?

This just goes to show how shitty the promotion of this movie has been.

The trailers and commercials make it look like a bad cgi nightmare and worst movie of the year.

If I had known Mathew Fox was in it from the get-go I might have been interested to go see it. At best now I might rent it thru netflix - maybe.
Old 05-18-08, 01:24 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Saw Speed Racer this afternoon and enjoyed it quite a bit. It ran a bit slow during the dialogue parts, but those parts proved to be hugely important (at least to me) during the climax of the final race/film.

Long, yes. A man in front of me left with his two boys who just got too restless.

But although the dialogue based scenes slow the movie down, and sometimes even get a bit complex, I find myself thinking of those more than the racing. I actually thought the dialogue and the acting were very good. Heavy handed and cartoony, perhaps...but the actors approached it seriously and put human faces on these characters. John Goodman is incredible, seriously.

The whole thing is about family. That struck a chord in me, and I'll even admit to tearing up a few times...especially during the jawdropping final race/montage scenes. For those who have seen it, when it changed to the red spiral at the end...my mind was on overload and I wanted to stand up and cheer!

My favorite line was when John Goodman is describing his life and says something like "I was lucky enough to marry my best friend." I rang very true and romantic to me.

Just saying that I really liked it...
Old 05-18-08, 05:20 AM
Banned

This should have been a 90 minute movie.
Since it was made by the makers of THE MATRIX I expected at least great kung fu fights. And instead I see better fights on 1960's BATMAN t.v. show.
The only good casting was Susan Sarandon who played the part of a house wife real good and Racer X. Christina Ricci looked to sexy to play the virginal good girl Trixi. And did they do a bad job to casting Snake Oiler!!
Old 05-19-08, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,100 Likes on 739 Posts
Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Watched it yesterday. AWESOME movie. I REALLY enjoyed the races and visual style. I thought it was great, and I was worried because of all the doom and gloom in this thread. I watched Speed Racer when I was little (far from a SR fanatic, though) and I got chills when I saw the Mach V. The characters were spot on down to the clothing.

There is one thought that kept going through my mind: This movie is so much FUN. It was a blast. It might even surpass Iron Man in my book (and I thought THAT was great).

HDM purchase for sure!
I agree 100% GatorDeb!! Especially the part about Iron Man. Although I thought Iron Man was good, frankly IM was a bit boring to me and nowhere near as fun and exciting as Speed Racer.

I was on the edge of my seat and having a good time from start to end. This film had a lot of heart, and the emotional scenes with Speed and his family and Trixie were fantastic. I admit I choked up....no racing pun there...on the parts with Mom and Pops talking to Speed in their separate scenes. I believed in the Racer family and Trixie because all the actors were great. I thought the plot fit the film and it had a great message about doing what's right even when it may cost you, and doing your part to change things for good.

I thought the Mach 4, Mach 5, and last but not least the Mach 6 where awesome. They did a great job with those cars and the race scenes more than satisfied. I got a chill every time I heard the old sound effect when Speed hit the "jump" button!!!! I also got chill when the tech was explaining Speeds new features on the Mach 5!

Unfortunately I'm guessing we won't see a Speed Racer II due to poor box office and that's a damn shame.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-21-08 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-20-08, 05:55 AM
Banned

They should have took one of the cartoon's story line and made that the movie.
SPEED RACER should have been a serious movie like THE MATRIX instead this movie was like that 2nd generation SPEED RACER cartoon from the 1990's.
Old 05-20-08, 10:28 AM

I really enjoyed this flick! Like others have mentioned, I was absorbed in the Speed Racer world. I actually appreciated the chatty scenes, and was giddy everytime Matthew Fox delivered the "flat" Racer X dialogue (while his head was framed similar to the 'toon). The racing scenes were incredible; up there with the pod racing scenes from TPM, which I thought were tops as well.

Look forward to the DVD!
Old 05-20-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wm lopez
They should have took one of the cartoon's story line and made that the movie.
SPEED RACER should have been a serious movie like THE MATRIX instead this movie was like that 2nd generation SPEED RACER cartoon from the 1990's.
Speed Racer being a serious movie, as I've said before, would've been a massive failure in terms of the storytelling process. Honestly, who knows if it would've done better or worse box office wise.
Old 05-20-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 278 Likes on 216 Posts
I donít get who exactly the audience is for this movie. Itís made for 10 year olds but no 10 year old knows who Speed Racer is. Maybe if this was made in the mid 90ís it would have made more sense. Now people that grew up with Speed Racer are in there 40ís.
Originally Posted by david12
Long, yes. A man in front of me left with his two boys who just got too restless.
We counted four of these walkouts-with-restless-kids. Don't know if there were more, but I doubt it, since that took care of virtually all of the under-8's in an expectedly one-fifth-filled auditorium, and not a moment too soon. Though I felt sorry for the parents being out that money, the peace and quiet was a relief. Surely not isolated incidents with a film this unnecessarily long and simple-minded. My girlfriend and I -- who normally trust our instincts to avoid overtly family-oriented films until they've either neared the end of their theatrical run or have come out on DVD -- contemplated leaving a couple of times thanks solely to needlessly long exposition. What the hell was the dramatic reasoning for so much talk? I'd agree that the same thing seriously hobbled the Matrix sequels, only there it was a sour cocktail of philosophies and pseudo-philosophies intended for adults; here it's just childish westernized "movie" homilies about "doing what's right" that don't require so much elaboration and which would, in a shorter film, at least appeal to those young minds who are instead being taken home early, presumably to now lose interest in some of the mountain of tie-in toys their parents probably regret having paid full price for. A film like this didn't have to lose anybody before the credits rolled. It sure looked kooky, though. I'll give it that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.