Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official - I've actually Seen Farenheit 9/11 and want to talk about THE MOVIE

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Official - I've actually Seen Farenheit 9/11 and want to talk about THE MOVIE

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-04, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by RyoHazuki
You said he's always sought justice for the little guy, but now he's just the messenger? I think you were right the second time. He just shows a lot of problems and doesn't offer any solutions.
On the whole, better than offerring solutions for non-existant problems.

For instance:

Fixing that gross federal budget surplus.
Taking care of all those pesky Iraqi terrorists.
Proposing a constitutional amendment to oppress those pesky gay folks.
Patriot Act: Who really needed civil liberties anyway?
DUCK!!! It's another "Orange Alert"!!!
Old 07-05-04, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not gonna give any political insight, however I found the movie to be really entertaining and funny......buddy!
Old 07-05-04, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You said he's always sought justice for the little guy, but now he's just the messenger? I think you were right the second time. He just shows a lot of problems and doesn't offer any solutions.
Got to agree with you. MM shows a LOT of problems with the Bush administration and (in only a 2 hour movie) not all of the solutions. Perhaps it is because he is a film maker not an office holder. By pointing out the problems this administration has brought upon the American people they can vote for the person who will work for change in the policies they dislike. Can you say One Termer like daddy?
Old 07-05-04, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Mr.Briggs
Got to agree with you. MM shows a LOT of problems with the Bush administration and (in only a 2 hour movie) not all of the solutions. Perhaps it is because he is a film maker not an office holder. By pointing out the problems this administration has brought upon the American people they can vote for the person who will work for change in the policies they dislike. Can you say One Termer like daddy?
ha.....well said!!

Pro-B
Old 07-05-04, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ok I'll try to do this step by step.

Originally posted by chess
For instance:

Fixing that gross federal budget surplus.
Taking care of all those pesky Iraqi terrorists.
Proposing a constitutional amendment to oppress those pesky gay folks.
Patriot Act: Who really needed civil liberties anyway?
DUCK!!! It's another "Orange Alert"!!!

1. No comment.

2. Beheadings, suicide bombers, and crazed milita. Not at all. All Iraqis are fun loving, good natured people who should be coddled. We should have came into Iraq with big nerf swords and had a tickle fight.

3. I missed the oppressing gay rights portion of Fahrenheit 9/11?

4+5. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. First they are overstepping your rights, next they didn't do enough to protect you.
Old 07-05-04, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mr. Kerry voted for this "false" war.
Old 07-05-04, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

4 months from today that'll be President-elect Kerry to you (& me). He voted to authorize military action but was unaware that President Cheney (I mean Bush) would not allow for the UN inspectors to finish the job they were asked to do before invading a country with no capacity to threaten us (& Mr. Blix seems to do HIS job damned well considering ALL of the WMDs found). Changes will be made beginning January 2005. I know the Repubs think God has decreed that they are the rightful owners of 1600 Pennsyvania Avenue but they aren't. George can go back to Crawford & ponder what business next to bankrupt. As the movie pointed out, Mr. Bush is good at finding dry holes.

Last edited by Mr.Briggs; 07-05-04 at 02:19 AM.
Old 07-05-04, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love the "no comment" on fixing the budget mess that Bush got us into after 8 years of hard work by the Clinton admin to fix the red ink that they inherited. Repubs seem very good at writing checks with nothing in the account to back it up. When was the last time taxes were cut during a war (& 3 times at that)? What sacrifices did Bush ask the country to perform (a point F9/11 made), shopping? I guess I did my part buying dvds while the war was on. Perhaps I should get a medal.

Last edited by Mr.Briggs; 07-05-04 at 02:21 AM.
Old 07-05-04, 02:29 AM
Banned

So? A lot of us were duped by the administration's phony baloney "evidence" before the war.
Old 07-05-04, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love the "no comment" on fixing the budget mess that Bush got us into after 8 years of hard work by the Clinton admin to fix the red ink that they inherited. Repubs seem very good at writing checks with nothing in the account to back it up. When was the last time taxes were cut during a war (& 3 times at that)? What sacrifices did Bush ask the country to perform (a point F9/11 made), shopping? I guess I did my part buying dvds while the war was on. Perhaps I should get a medal.
I do not know enough about the current and former budget situation to comment on it. Rather than spew bullshit I thought I might as well just not awnser it.

Are Democrats the rightful owners of the White House?

Last edited by RyoHazuki; 07-05-04 at 03:01 AM.
Old 07-05-04, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are Democrats the rightful owners of the White House?
No party SHOULD consider it their birthright but after Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Bush & Bush many Repubs consider it theirs with Carter only being elected due to Ford's pardon of Nixon & their utter contempt for Clinton. As was pointed out in F9/11 Jeb & Katherine Harris were not going to allow the state of Florida to stand in the way of W getting the keys back to 1600. Thus all of the black voters disenfranchised but unfortunately no one in the senate had the cajones to cosign any members of the congressional black caucas legislation. The senate likes order and better to quickly install an illegitimate President than to take a little longer to see who REALLY deserves to be governing the country. Then you add in the Repubs majority appointed to the Supreme Court and this is what you get. I wonder if Scalia went duck hunting with Cheney before he rendered his election decision to stop counting the votes.
Old 07-05-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Repubs seem very good at writing checks with nothing in the account to back it up. When was the last time taxes were cut during a war (& 3 times at that)? What sacrifices did Bush ask the country to perform (a point F9/11 made), shopping? I guess I did my part buying dvds while the war was on. Perhaps I should get a medal.
....I would like to see some answers to the questions Mr.Briggs is asking.....

Pro-B
Old 07-05-04, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
I just saw the movie today. Overall I'd say my opinion is more negative than positive.

Some people have commented on how they thought Moore talking to the Congressman about their kids enlisting was funny. I thought this was incredibly stupid. I had no idea that a parent could enlist their child in the military. While it may be the case that there are very few Congressman with children in the military, that is the choice of their children.

I also thought that the frequent shots of bush looking stupid were a bit petty. When you have hours upon hours of footage of someone, it is easy to pull out a couple seconds here and there of him looking stupid, but is it necessary? That combined with the frequent ironic juxtaposition (as another poster said earlier) took away some from the film for me. If you have a good point, you shouldn't need to show these video clips and 2 second sound bytes that are taken out of context.
Old 07-05-04, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally posted by Dr_Evil
I just saw the movie today. Overall I'd say my opinion is more negative than positive.

Some people have commented on how they thought Moore talking to the Congressman about their kids enlisting was funny. I thought this was incredibly stupid. I had no idea that a parent could enlist their child in the military. While it may be the case that there are very few Congressman with children in the military, that is the choice of their children.
While hopefully parents can't actually enlist their children into the military, I think the point Moore was trying to make was it is easier to send children off to war when they aren't in fact your children.
Old 07-05-04, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by lisadoris
While hopefully parents can't actually enlist their children into the military, I think the point Moore was trying to make was it is easier to send children off to war when they aren't in fact your children.
Yeah, I could see where he was going, I just don't think it was the best way to get there. Especially when the guy he is asking about military service was in the navy.
Old 07-06-04, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by lisadoris
It also fits in with statistics that show that it's mostly minorities and low-to-middle-income people who end up serving in the military. Part of his point was that's it's easier to send children off to war when they aren't your own, but also the fact that with so many Senators being well-off, their children don't have to consider the option of the military unless it really is something they are committed to doing. For others who have fewer options and no rich mommy and daddy, the military may not really be that much of a choice, but the only real way to give yourself a chance. Like Moore's point then, because minorities and low-income people are more likely to enlist, they are also more likely to die in service of their country than those who have the options that a well-to-do family affords them.