Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official - I've actually Seen Farenheit 9/11 and want to talk about THE MOVIE

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Official - I've actually Seen Farenheit 9/11 and want to talk about THE MOVIE

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-04, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Mattrk
John Ellis, George W. Bush's first cousin, was running the political desk of Fox News during the 2000 election. When the tabulations for Florida came up, all of the other networks claimed that Gore won Florida - but Fox News, which IIRC was the last to post for the state, claimed Bush won, and all the other networks began to change their projections. That call was made by Ellis. Add to that the fact that Jeb Bush, George's brother, was governor of Florida, and things begin to smell.

Here's an actual quote by John Ellis: "I am loyal to my cousin, and I put that loyalty ahead of my loyalty to anyone else outside my immediate family."

Here's a column with some information on John Ellis.
Yes you have paraphrased the movie well but you have not explained how one news channel projecting a winner in an election changes an actual election result. It doesn't matter what the networks project, it only matters what the actual votes are.

Now if you want to argue that the vote count was all screwed up that is a separate issue. It still wouldn't explain how Moore thinks Foxnews stole the election.
Old 06-29-04, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally posted by RyoHazuki
Except for that wonderful scene when he tells us what Bush is thinking.
His exact words were "I WONDER what he was thinking..."
Old 06-29-04, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by kcbrett5
It doesn't matter what the networks project, it only matters what the actual votes are.
The poll machines were still open in the panhandle when the networks called Florida for Gore. Anyone looking at the raw numbers available on the net on the night of the election could have told you that Florida was way too close to call.
Old 06-29-04, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by kcbrett5
Now if you want to argue that the vote count was all screwed up that is a separate issue. It still wouldn't explain how Moore thinks Foxnews stole the election.
I have to agree: I don't understand Mattrk's post either. The networks (before the polls closed) called the state for Gore. Fox made an opposite projection. The truth lies in the middle as it was too close for anybody to call.
Old 06-29-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by NEUMANN
Michael Moore has divided this forum as it has never been divided before,
Wrong!!

The only person that has divided us is Bush. If Bush wasn't in office Moore's latest film would have not been made.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 06-29-04 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-29-04, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Liked the film: ***/****.
Old 06-29-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Michael Moore has divided this forum as it has never been divided before
You obviously didn't spend any time on the TV Talk board during American Idol season.

Fantasia Barino may have garnered something close.
Old 06-29-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TheAllPurposeNothing
You obviously didn't spend any time on the TV Talk board during American Idol season.

I'd agree, but I wouldn't consider Fantasia the most dividing force in those threads.
Old 06-29-04, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by TheAllPurposeNothing

lol, you know i actually did see that thread but never clicked on it because i never watched american idol,i think i am now glad i did'nt lol
Old 06-29-04, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay, I was mad when this thread ran off course...

... I was mad when it languished in petty arguments over political issues...

... but now Neumann has used "lol" in a post. TWICE in the same one.

Let's stop the madness!

Did anyone else think the film suffered a little bit by not having enough of "funny" Moore? You know, vignettes with Moore doing something funny, like the congress enlisting?
Old 06-29-04, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
His exact words were "I WONDER what he was thinking..."
He still goes on for a while about "No one being there to tell him what to do" and stupid stuff like that. You show that video and you provide the narration, the audience just buys into that.
Old 06-29-04, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Okay, I was mad when this thread ran off course...

... I was mad when it languished in petty arguments over political issues...

... but now Neumann has used "lol" in a post. TWICE in the same one.

Let's stop the madness!

Did anyone else think the film suffered a little bit by not having enough of "funny" Moore? You know, vignettes with Moore doing something funny, like the congress enlisting?

What can i say,i'm just a happy guy lol, and no i thought it was wise of Moore to keep himself more low profile in this movie then he has been in his other ones,those right wing republicans have been ripping him bad enough,it would have been worse if he played it more comedic then he did.

Last edited by NEUMANN; 06-29-04 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-29-04, 04:21 PM

He still goes on for a while about "No one being there to tell him what to do" and stupid stuff like that. You show that video and you provide the narration, the audience just buys into that.
A lot of people get the feeling that Bush is not exactly the most independent and proactive president we've had. I remember during the campaign he made sure to stress that he was going to be surrounded by all these knowledgeable and capable advisers.

This is one of those points I wonder about with his supporters - do you all really think that he is the kind of can-do guy that would immediately start brainstorming and solving problems like that old SNL skit with the behind-the-scenes Reagan? There's an old quote from Bush, shortly before he ran for governor, after someone asked him about his political aspirations: "I'm basically a media creation. I've never done anything"

I understand if you think he suits your ideological purposes with huge tax-cuts and pro-business policies or whatever it is you find so appealing, but you'd be a lot more credible if you were more honest with yourselves about the package those political ends come in.
Old 06-29-04, 04:58 PM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by lucasorion
A lot of people get the feeling that Bush is not exactly the most independent and proactive president we've had. I remember during the campaign he made sure to stress that he was going to be surrounded by all these knowledgeable and capable advisers.

This is one of those points I wonder about with his supporters - do you all really think that he is the kind of can-do guy that would immediately start brainstorming and solving problems like that old SNL skit with the behind-the-scenes Reagan? There's an old quote from Bush, shortly before he ran for governor, after someone asked him about his political aspirations: "I'm basically a media creation. I've never done anything"

I understand if you think he suits your ideological purposes with huge tax-cuts and pro-business policies or whatever it is you find so appealing, but you'd be a lot more credible if you were more honest with yourselves about the package those political ends come in.

Exactly my thoughts. People seem to be either Republican or Democrat and bashing the other side but regardless whether you like Kerry or not, I just can not believe anyone finding Bush a great, honest and thrustworthy president.
Old 06-29-04, 05:36 PM

You and I may find it funny, but Moore's ambushes (no pun intended) are one of the main things that turn people off from Moore's films. And that goes for both ends of the political spectrum. Remember the controversy over the the enlisting stunt you mentioned? I think that sort of thing makes it easier for the other side to pick him apart.
Old 06-29-04, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by lucasorion

Every president has advisers. If you think Bush is an idiot who just surrounds himself with smart people, well than more power to you. I don't agree with you.
Old 06-29-04, 07:54 PM

Every president has advisers. If you think Bush is an idiot who just surrounds himself with smart people, well than more power to you. I don't agree with you.

I think he is a liar and a Idiot that surrounds himself with liars and Idiots
Old 06-29-04, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good for you.
Old 06-29-04, 08:00 PM

That's true, every president from the best to the worst has advisers. And each one in modern history has had advisers leave office early, and sign a book-deal to reveal what takes place in all those meetings behind closed doors. In Clinton's case, it was George Stephanopoulos, Jeffrey Birnbaum, Benjamin Barber, Dick Morris, and, of course, Monica Lewinsky. In Bush II's column, we have John DilUlio, Richard Clarke, Paul O'Neill, and Karen Hughes. Presuming you haven't read these books, which may be incorrect, would you wager which president is seen as attentive, interested, engaged, knowledgeable, curious, quick-on-his-feet, and prone to late night policy tweaking - even by those who disagree with him? Could you take a guess as to which administration was referred to by one of these authors as the "Mayberry Machiavellis"? It isn't hard to figure out what life is like working in close proximity to the President. It's not easy work no matter who's in office - but the leadership styles and leadership substance vary dramatically. That's important to recognize, and to defend when your guy is being mercilessly attacked or called into question.

Musigalage.

Last edited by docF94; 06-29-04 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-29-04, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You are half right on both counts.

I think that Bush believes without question everything that comes out of his mouth, so it's tough to call him a liar. He has complete faith in his advisors and doesn't have what I would call an analytical mind, so it is completely fair to call him an idiot...plus he's just embarrassing.

The people he surrounds himself with are very smart, and amazingly politically savvy (why do you think they hide him so much), so it's not really fair to call them idiots. However, they have certainly developed an unnerving culture of misleading the public, the president, and the world for political purposes, which qualifies them IMO as liars.

And I think that Moore pretty much presents it that way.
Old 06-29-04, 10:14 PM

I don't think he's an idiot, I've met plenty of people who I'd place as about his intellectual equals and I wouldn't call any of them an idiot - but I wouldn't also feel enthusiastic about them holding any position of power above local government.

The biggest problem with Bush is that he has a bad combination of character traits - he trusts his instincts over information and facts, and he has bad instincts. The first thought that comes into his head feels to him like a revelation from God or Jesus, and most of us know that often the first thing that comes into our head really should be re-thought.

Bush is incurious and anti-intellectual, and he probably would be an idiot if nurture hadn't won some of the battles with nature during his privileged formative years.

I'm not a huge fan of Bill Clinton (I like the Spiderman line about power and responsibility), but he got to the most powerful position in the world in spite of his background. Put Bush in the same background or even in 99.xx % of the other families out there and he would just be a face in the crowd.
Old 06-30-04, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
chess and lucasorion, both of your posts were well stated and pretty well sum up my general feelings about Bush and his "people." It is overly simplistic to characterize Bush or anyone associated with his presidency as an idiot. Truly he is not one of the great thinkers of our generation, and I highly doubt his input to formation and execution of policy for the country amounts to anything more than nodding his head to whatever his advisors tell him is the correct course of action. Hence, to continually berate him for his intellectual shortcomings is to miss the point entirely.

Anyone who believes that Bush is anything but a figurehead whose public image is carefully constructed to appeal to his constituency is extraordinarily fatuous. Can one really listen to Bush speak and imagine that he is an expert (or even mildly well-versed) in history, economics, current domestic and foreign social phenomena, and/or international geo-politics? Probably only if one is also so ignorant of those topics him or herself that there would be no basis for questioning the issue.

In point of fact, it is the GOP power structure and their underlying supporters (corporate America, the religious right, etc.) that really drives the policy of the country under this presidency. And it seems highly doubtful to me that these folks could be characterized as idiots, given the political machinations they have been able to accomplish in the last four years, which has seemingly until only recently managed to escape the scrutiny and critical appraisal of the American public.

That those machinations have been largely obscured by diversion, misdirection and misinformation is of course the thesis of Moore's film. And agree or not, he does make a compelling point calling into question the honesty and motives of this administration, even if his methods and presentation cast his thesis with some measure of sensationalism and hyperbole.
Old 06-30-04, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've previously stated that I liked the film.

It expands this week to 1,700 screens from 868 or whatever.
Old 06-30-04, 07:31 AM

That is exactly my opinion. I was hoping for more funny parts.
Old 06-30-04, 08:07 AM

I think it would've been much more effective and entertaining if Moore injected it with his brand of humor.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.