Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

This film is not yet rated.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-04, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do the previews for Farenheit 9/11 say the film is not yet rated? The film was never not yet rated to begin with. It was deemed rated R then they appealed the decision and the MPAA still ruled it rated R.

Is this Michael Moore trying to trick people to come to the movie?
Old 06-23-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Well, at one point it wasn't rated (before the MPAA gave its verdict). Perhaps you saw an older trailer? I don't see how this would "trick people" to go see the movie, at any rate.
Old 06-23-04, 07:56 PM

The rating wasn't finalized until tuesday. It got an R rating, but they appealed hoping for a PG-13, so they didn't want to advertise with the rating they had already received in hopes of getting the new one. Now that it isn't moving, advertisements will probably start showing the rating (although Moore is calling on everyone to ignore it).
Old 06-23-04, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I heard Moore when he was saying for everyone to ignore the rating, so when I saw a trailer today saying it wasn't rated I thought perhaps Moore was playing into that.
Old 06-23-04, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
Originally posted by bjh_18
Moore is calling on everyone to ignore it).
Considering the number of children I've seen at R-rated movies (stuff from Texas Chainsaw Massacre to Magnolia), it seems to me people have been doing that for years.
Old 06-23-04, 11:15 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: This film is not yet rated.

Originally posted by IMRICKJAMES
Is this Michael Moore trying to trick people to come to the movie?

The rating was under appeal at the time the ads were made. This is standard protocol. Not every little thing around this movie requires us to don the tin hats.
Old 06-24-04, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not donning the tin hat of a conspiracy nut. I was just wondering if this is a standard ploy for movie makers.
Old 06-24-04, 05:18 AM

Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
Considering the number of children I've seen at R-rated movies (stuff from Texas Chainsaw Massacre to Magnolia), it seems to me people have been doing that for years.
Yeah, but its not everyday that you have the filmmaker blatently say that if kids need help sneaking into the movie to let him know (Tarantino said something to that effect about Kill Bill Vol.1, but it was in more of a joking manner whereas Moore is serious about it).

And I just saw a commercial that had the R-rating on it.
Old 06-24-04, 07:01 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not donning the tin hat of a conspiracy nut. I was just wondering if this is a standard ploy for movie makers.
I wouldn't call it a ploy.

I've seen the tag "This film not yet rated" on many, many movie previews that are shown on tv.
Until the rating is final, they add that line. Once the rating is final, you will see new previews on tv with the actual rating.

When the Harry Potter 3 trailer first hit tv, it had the "This film not yet rated" line. Its standard practice, I would imagine, and not meant to be misleading or dup people. It simply states a fact that in that point of time, the film doesn't have a rating.
Old 06-24-04, 08:29 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by Vryce
Its standard practice, I would imagine, and not meant to be misleading or dup people. It simply states a fact that in that point of time, the film doesn't have a rating.
Yes. It's amazing how much trouble people have in taking something literally anymore.
Old 06-24-04, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
can't vote unless you're old enough to see an R rated film anyway - don't know why he cares so much about it.
Old 06-24-04, 09:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
can't vote unless you're old enough to see an R rated film anyway - don't know why he cares so much about it.
Weren't you the one just talking in another thread about how indoctrination has to begin early for the brainwashing to be effective
Old 06-24-04, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I must be getting old; I can remember when an 'R' rating *attracted* the under 18 crowd. Why would Moore want a lower rating?
Old 06-24-04, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
"standard ploy" ??

Please, take off the tin hat.....
Old 06-24-04, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by NavinJohnson
I must be getting old; I can remember when an 'R' rating *attracted* the under 18 crowd. Why would Moore want a lower rating?
I think it's because theatreowners in some towns can use it to keep people from getting in, particularly kids with strange haircuts and piercings. These are the same theatreowners who would turn a blind eye (or pluck it out) to let kids into Gibson's blood-orgy.

Moore is very aware that kids want to see this and will try to get in. But by forcing teens and gifted and talented students and A/V club types to buy tickets for Shrek 2 or whatever, the boffo box office may be affected. And there will be kids who are turned away from this, but not from any other R-rated movie. I know some might think this indicates a persecution complex or some kind of martydom syndrome, but I know small town theatre owners from way back. There is a selection process in carding - involving the movie, and the people seeking tickets. It ain't pretty and it ain't right. And it's one more reason why the MPAA is a joke.

Lehitra'ot.
Old 06-24-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by docF94
I think it's because theatreowners in some towns can use it to keep people from getting in, particularly kids with strange haircuts and piercings. These are the same theatreowners who would turn a blind eye (or pluck it out) to let kids into Gibson's blood-orgy.

Moore is very aware that kids want to see this and will try to get in. But by forcing teens and gifted and talented students and A/V club types to buy tickets for Shrek 2 or whatever, the boffo box office may be affected. And there will be kids who are turned away from this, but not from any other R-rated movie. I know some might think this indicates a persecution complex or some kind of martydom syndrome, but I know small town theatre owners from way back. There is a selection process in carding - involving the movie, and the people seeking tickets. It ain't pretty and it ain't right. And it's one more reason why the MPAA is a joke.

Lehitra'ot.
Interesting. Please explain why this movie will attract "gifted and talented students" moreso than other students. Oh yes and please explain why the MPAA is a joke.
Old 06-24-04, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was always under the impression that ratings were given as a way to inform people about the content of the movie. All indications seem to point to this film having very R rated content. Now, for some reason, because Michael Moore and certain people think it's important, it deserves a pg-13? If the MPAA gave this film a pg-13, THEN I would think they were a joke. If anything they're doing their job correctly right now.

I'm sorry, the MPAA has it's problems, but mostly to deal with adult films, NC-17 and the complete lack of a rating to deal with adult films. This...is a complete non issue, and it makes me roll my eyes everytime I hear about this issue. I don't recall Schindler's List, Passion of the Christ, or any of these other flicks walking off with pg-13 ratings just cause they were "important."

Seriously, if this film had such direly important information that everyone HAD to know, Moore would release this thing free. Movie theaters aren't exactly what I'd call the best way to reach everyone and make good political points, and blaming the MPAA for rating it according to its content and blasting them for it is beyond idiotic.

Last edited by jaeufraser; 06-24-04 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-25-04, 11:23 PM

Originally posted by jaeufraser
Seriously, if this film had such direly important information that everyone HAD to know, Moore would release this thing free. Movie theaters aren't exactly what I'd call the best way to reach everyone and make good political points, and blaming the MPAA for rating it according to its content and blasting them for it is beyond idiotic.
Didn't someone ask him to release it on the 'net for free when he lost distribution and was whining about his film "needing to be seen"? I thought his answer to that (or absence of) was classic. But no... it's not about the money.

Xhonzi
Old 06-26-04, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A theatre in Oakland is not enforcing the R rating and is letting any one over 13 in to see it. At least that is what the news showed this morning. The theatre has a whole anti-bush message on their marquee