Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Abyss (1989, W/D: James Cameron) -- Discussion Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Abyss (1989, W/D: James Cameron) -- Discussion Thread

Old 12-06-23, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts
Re: The Abyss (1989, W/D: James Cameron) -- Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Of the 36 AMC screens within an hour of me Ö not even playing. Thanks AMC.
It was in Edwardsville (Dolby Cinema) and Champaign (BigD); I drove to Edwardsville. Thought it looked great. I got a poster but didn't get a Cameron introduction.
The following users liked this post:
Abob Teff (12-07-23)
Old 12-06-23, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I know the movie pretty well. It was the first time I ever saw it on a big screen.

The ďbe nice to each otherĒ escapism at the end was kinda depressing given that the movie is 35 years old. I heard the guy behind me sorta giggle when Chris Elliotís character says the military might be out of a job.
Old 12-06-23, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 414 Likes on 299 Posts

Maybe Disney will bring back Aliens and True Lies for similar one night screenings this winter before the 4k releases in March.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bluelitespecial:
Meathead (12-07-23), Why So Blu? (12-06-23)
Old 12-07-23, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 914 Posts

Just got back from my screening and it was great. The 4K disc should look and sound great. We got full on trailers, the stupid Nicole Kidman ad, the dolby cinema and intro by James Cameron. Also snagged a poster.

I had a reward on my A-List membership for a free hot dog, so that was dinner, with two beers from the McGuffin Bar.
Old 12-07-23, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
It was gorgeous and sounded awesome. The Atmos was great with the water dripping from various speakers in the theater and the hollow metal interiors echoing throughout. So good. 99% of it was just gorgeous. That other 1%? A shot at the end of the rig sitting on the craft, it looked like something pulled from a VHS transfer. Very strange. Also, seeing it so large and with the audio, certain shots felt far more claustrophobic and intense than it would at home.

There was an intro by Cameron. We had potentially 3 trailers but they kept cutting out at 5 seconds in almost like they were being streamed from online. So eventually it just went to black for a few minutes before the Cameron intro kicked in.

I haven't seen it since the old DVD either, so 20+ years. I didn't remember much of it at all. It holds up very well, even the early CG work. Of course it helps that it's a self contained movie where you're not dating it by clothes and hairstyles. Having not seen it for so long, I didn't recall the score at all. It took me out 3-4 times where musical cues sounded like they were lifted straight out of Back to the Future. Silvestri cribbing Silvestri.

Theater had a few dozen posters. My daughter and I grabbed a couple.

The morons over at that other forum are gonna lose their shit when their OCD kicks in on that shot. That was the only shot that had some severe anomalies, mainly edge enhancement.
Old 12-07-23, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I also just got back from seeing it. They gave out the poster on the way out. Itís double sided. Overall, a great experience. I had forgotten how emotional the movie was. Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio and Ed Harris gave some really heart wrenching performances.

Iím glad it wasnít just me. That shot of the rig on the alien craft did look blurry. But that was so minor for an otherwise excellent 4K transfer. And the special effects were pretty amazing for that time. 1988-89.

I got stuck in super heavy traffic and arrived just as the Abyss title card flashed. Missed the Cameron introduction.

Old 12-07-23, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

It would be great if they offered Aliens, The Abyss and True Lies in a package together. I'm getting all three regardless.
Old 12-07-23, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Maybe Disney will bring back Aliens and True Lies for similar one night screenings this winter before the 4k releases in March.
I didn't make the Abyss showings this week but absolutely will if Aliens (extended cut) is released to theaters again.
Old 12-07-23, 06:45 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

such bullshit that my AMC Dolby Cinema didn't have any posters OR the James Cameron intro. Just a bunch of fucking ads for 30 minutes then straight into the movie.
Old 12-07-23, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

No poster for the AMC Century City, but did get the Cameron intro.

Kind of fitting to have the full conversation with the NTIs considering how fucked the world is right now. Obviously a lot of the compositing looks dated (it still won the VFX Oscar), but for 1989 and at a budget of $50M, it's amazing what Cameron accomplished. Still one of his most underappreciated films.
The following users liked this post:
Bluelitespecial (12-07-23)
Old 12-07-23, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
It was in Edwardsville (Dolby Cinema) and Champaign (BigD); I drove to Edwardsville. Thought it looked great. I got a poster but didn't get a Cameron introduction.
I have the in-town theaters and Peoria set in my app. I seem to never think about going south or east.
Old 12-07-23, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

I have the in-town theaters and Peoria set in my app. I seem to never think about going south or east.
I can't say I wasn't irritated about driving for a one night only mid week movie, but there's a restaurant I like in Edwardsville so I killed two birds. I searched around, and it looked like it was only playing on the non-IMAX special screens which eliminated Springfield and Peoria.
Old 12-08-23, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For a single screening in theaters on one day I think this a pretty good box office return.
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/date/2...?ref_=bo_hm_rd
Old 12-08-23, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder what the economy of something like this is.

I'd love to see all these brought back if the transfers are there. I'm going to see Die Hard this week.

True Lies still gets downplayed after 9/11.
Old 12-08-23, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope to go see Die Hard this week. One of the big reasons I hate Disney owning the Fox Catalog is that they have kept their movies from being screened at revival theaters. This screening was a hell of a lot of fun and I thought it was very well attended. I would absolutely go to a screening of Aliens if it happened before the 4k release. It would be fantastic if True Lies came back to theaters but that doesn't seem as likely.
Old 12-08-23, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I still can't figure out if movies were better in the era. Or if I'm middle aged now and going through what everyone goes through ("back in my day movies and music were better than that garbage you kids listen to now").
Old 12-09-23, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 448 Likes on 306 Posts

Learning about how difficult the movie was to make you could feel the tension in almost every scene.
Under Pressure: Making 'The Abyss' is a great 1-hour documentary. If you haven't seen it yet, it's easy to find posted online.
Old 12-09-23, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk God

For a single screening in theaters on one day I think this a pretty good box office return.
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/date/2...?ref_=bo_hm_rd
Over $520K for a 1-day, 1-time only screening doesn't sound too bad in my book. I think a lot of people weren't really aware of it as well. It wasn't really advertised unless you follow social media and keep up with Fandango listings.
Old 12-09-23, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheBang
Under Pressure: Making 'The Abyss' is a great 1-hour documentary. If you haven't seen it yet, it's easy to find posted online.
I found it on YouTube. I might watch it but im tempted to wait until i have the 4k disc in my hands.
Old 12-09-23, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Over $520K for a 1-day, 1-time only screening doesn't sound too bad in my book. I think a lot of people weren't really aware of it as well. It wasn't really advertised unless you follow social media and keep up with Fandango listings.
I found out about the screening through various movie websites and following my favorite theater chains on Facebook.
Old 12-09-23, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I found out about it through this hot new online website about DVDs . . .

Curious how many who saw it in the theater will buy the 4K. I would have paid to see it in the theater, but I don’t plan on buying it again.
Old 12-09-23, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk God

I found out about it through this hot new online website about DVDs . . .

Curious how many who saw it in the theater will buy the 4K. I would have paid to see it in the theater, but I donít plan on buying it again.
Yeah I plan to get The Abyss and all the Cameron movies coming to 4K disc. Will I buy it right away? Not 100% sure.

The Abyss has been only available on DVD which came out over 20 years ago with no HD upgrade. So this is the 1st time we're getting it newly remastered along with True Lies.
Old 12-10-23, 06:55 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

fantastic movie with a big wet fart of an ending. I'm not going to pretend like it's a masterpiece.
Old 12-11-23, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

I missed the Beyond Fest screening of this with Cameron doing a Q&A (I was attending Coldplay instead), so I'm thankful it got a 1 day screening that I was able to see.

I remember seeing it on the big screen in '89. Last film I saw with my then girlfriend who just let out a big groan at the end. I went into the film having read Orson Scott Card's novelization, so I understood more of what the NTIs were doing. There was a small part of me wanting Cameron to George Lucas this movie, especially Steve Johnson's NTIs and the end scene with the mothership rising with Deep Core and the other naval ships on its back. This is my second favorite Cameron film after the director's cut of Aliens. 89 had the 3 underwater horror/scifi films that came out... Deep Star Six, Leviathan and The Abyss.
Old 12-11-23, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TGM
fantastic movie with a big wet fart of an ending. I'm not going to pretend like it's a masterpiece.
Theatrical ending or director's cut ending? I remember seeing it in the theater originally and thinking, "What the hell? Something is missing here . . ."

This and Kingdom of Heaven are two of the films that benefit the most from a director's cut, IMO.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.