Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Poll:Best long term franchise comic book movie?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Best long run comic book franchise movie?
X-Men
44.07%
Spider-Man
30.51%
Batman
8.47%
Superman
16.95%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-04, 12:36 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok in the long run what movie will have a better franchise. Batman? Superman? X-Men or Spider-Man? Overall I am talking best direction, best action, best writing, most money maker ect. just in general overall.

How many sequels will we see of Spider-Man. Will X-Men complete its run with all the original characters? Will McG (or whoever is directing the new Superman flick) destroy the franchise? Will the new "darker" Batman scare away audiences and lose money?
Old 06-15-04, 12:49 AM

I personally voted X-Men. I think the first two started strong, and as long as they continue to take the general (good) ideas from the comics and shape them into movie material (and discard those that can't work well), I think the franchise can go strong.

I also think they have several good cast members who seem to enjoy the parts, which really helps make stronger characters. I could care less if ever see all the "normal" X-Men, as long as they only introduce them as they fit into the story and flesh out those previously introduced.

EDIT: Sorry, accidentally posted under my wife's account.
-outer-edge

Last edited by LilyLilyRose; 06-15-04 at 12:51 AM.
Old 06-15-04, 07:38 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Superman wins. might as well close the poll.
Old 06-15-04, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
There will be 3 Spider-Man movies directed by Raimi. They will all make tons of money. That is my pick.

I hated both X-men movies... there will probably be sequels, but it's unlikely that the entire cast will stick around much longer - once replacements start coming in, ticket sales will likely drop signifigantly.

The batman movies that are already out were awful (IMO - sorry) and I'm intrigued by the new film, but don't see it being a big hit. It probably will, but who knows. What's-his-face playing bruce/bat has yet to be in a successful film, right? We'll see.

Superman - the originals were great (if you pretend 4 never happened). I think the new Superman has potential to be good just as much as it has potential to suck ass. Again - we'll see.
Old 06-15-04, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I voted for X-Men because of the characters and storyline potential. Also, they could and probably will have Wolverine spin-off movies.
Old 06-15-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
There will be 3 Spider-Man movies directed by Raimi. They will all make tons of money. That is my pick.
Always the best way to decide, by which one makes the most dough.

How about casting? Acting? Dialogue? Cinematography?

I'm with Rivero, Supes all the way. Other than Cinematography. That would have to go to the original Batman.

Although, I would put X-men in a close second, because of the potential there.
Old 06-15-04, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would think X-Men since there are enough characters that they can do movies without a character if the actor/actress didn't want to return (get the feeling that Storm might not be in any more movies).

Spiderman is hugely popular so it might survice a actor-switch. It also helps that Spidey is masked so the character will look the same no matter who is in the suit.
Old 06-15-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
X-Men. Latest rumors have the 3rd and 4th movies shot back to back so that the principle actors would be involved to finish the Phoenix story arc. Plus with X-Men's huge cast of characters, it will be easiest to rotate in and out new mutants to keep things fresh.

Spider-Man, the way the 2nd movie seems to be stacking up, is right up there. What will happen when Raimi leaves is a question mark though.

Not sure how Batman Begins will turn out, although i have high hopes because of those involved.

Superman... the first movies are grossly overrated after i watched them on DVD recently. Spider-Man does everything the original Superman movie does, without the cheese. The new Superman project is going nowhere.
Old 06-15-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Why isn't Catwoman on this list? Hmmm?
Old 06-15-04, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
X-Men.
Old 06-15-04, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X-Men, no question. X2 sealed the deal.
Old 06-15-04, 02:45 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Fielding Mellish
Why isn't Catwoman on this list? Hmmm?
Sorry I forgot the most important one
Old 06-15-04, 03:13 PM

Received 806 Likes on 524 Posts
X-men... for the reasons posted earlier.
Old 06-15-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Spider-Man appeals to a wider audience and a lot more well-known. Add to that the fact that the first Spider-Man movie was one of the highest grossing films ever, and that the sequel looks to pull in just as much, and you have the makings of a giant franchise.
Old 06-15-04, 03:29 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts
"X-Men"...I wished the first didn't end when I first saw it it was so well done and gripped me. The 2nd was good, but not as good as 1st IMO. But I think as long as they lock Hugh they are golden. The others are throw aways and are either replaceable or can simply use other characters. Spider-man is just too narrow in plot with boy/girl troubled relationship scenarios.
Old 06-15-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
There will always be room for new Superman movies. Now, 10 years from now, 50 years from now. Superman wins...just like he would if he fought any of those other lame-ass superheros

As for this quarter of a century, however, it's all about Spidey...Rami is doing to Spider-Man what Donner did with Superman in the 70's.
Old 06-15-04, 03:45 PM

X-Men
Both movies were solid (I actually felt X2 was better than the first) and as long as they can keep the core cast together to carry out the remainder of a seemingly strong story arc, it will solidify its place as the best comic franchise.

Superman and Batman both have their strengths and the first couple films of those series were solid, but alas, they were not able to maintain the same edge and mementum as its predecessors.

Spiderman has great special effects, but I agree that the romantic storyline that the studios are basing the series on is weak and will wear out.
Old 06-15-04, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
X-Men because it has a more complex and intriguing storyline (IMO). Its just differant type of comic movie than Superman, Spider-Man and Batman. Therefore I think it can be a longer running franchise.
Old 06-15-04, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that X-Men is NOT a franchise that has immense staying power. Basically the only grand conflict in both films is the mutants' acceptance in the non-mutant world. It's what the whole mutant community shares in common, and doesn't have as much depth as some of the other choices.

So I choose Superman. His abilities and responsibilities can really be used in infinite posibilities. Plus, he can fight in space. SPACE!!!
Old 06-15-04, 07:19 PM
Suspended

What's not to like, the man wears his underwear outside.

Unfortunately, Superman is a bug compared to the characters in X-Men's universe. The guy flys in space... big deal. Can he make people crap on demand like Xavier?

X-Men rules all.
Old 06-15-04, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd have to say it's a toss up between Spiderman and Xmen. X2 showed that Xmen really is a quality kick ass franchise, and if the reviews on Spiderman 2 are true, then looks like we're set for another amazing sequel. Since future prospects for both franchises is very bright, they take the cake.

Batman...well, it's had two major missteps, and we've got to wait to see if the new installment brings it back together. But the continuity of the spiderman and xmen franchises is something Batman never had, so it'll be tough to say it's as good.

Superman...are you kidding me? Superman has two good movies under it's belt. Part 3 sucks, and Part 4 might be one of the worst movies ever made. With no future potential, and a declining quality from movie to movie, hardly the best superhero franchise. Maybe best single movie, depending on your opinion (superman ain't my favorite character so I can't say it's mine) but as a franchise, it's weak.
Old 06-15-04, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Xmen.

The cast of characters and the stories have a larger potential IMO.
Old 06-15-04, 11:38 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
Can he make people crap on demand like Xavier?

Old 06-16-04, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

X-Men. You can just do so much more with it. Plus, if one of the actors decides to demand too much money, you can easily just write them out and just start introducing more characters.
Old 06-16-04, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

X-Men films have been the best so far. But ther've only been two...

The Batman's and Superman's have too many clunkers already. Spidey is OK, but does not measure up to X-Men.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.