Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Michael Moore Hates America - The MOVIE

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Michael Moore Hates America - The MOVIE

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-04, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally posted by Brian Gentz
Isn't it interesting how Michael Moore is ignoring this guy, kind of reminds me of Moore's first movie. He's claiming from that Q&A shot that he wouldn't appear in a slander piece about himself... what was Roger & Me?
I totally agree. But no, he's "Michael Moore honest man looking out for America" so he must be above the rest of us.....

I also find it funny that some of biggest haters of "Big Business" like Moore and others...are in one of the biggest Busineses around...SHOWBIZ.
Old 06-15-04, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ArchibaldTuttle
I mean you could make a documentry that is 100% fact about the nazis being a great bunch of guys through the magic of editing, its a friggen documentry... food for thought...
It exists. It's called "Triumph of the Will".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025913/
Old 06-15-04, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
i can see the dvd cover now...blurbs from Ann Coulter and Michael Savage in big bold print!!

Moore haters make me laugh....it's all so infantile.....
Old 06-15-04, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I'll see it.
Old 06-15-04, 07:24 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I find it amusing that the same people who refuse to see Moore's documentaries because they are "biased" and because "documentaries are supposed to be objective" are lining up around the block to see this one.

I guess it's okay if the bias matches your own political viewpoint.
Old 06-15-04, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I'm gonna see F9/11 too.

I guess my political viewpoint matches with both films... I hate both Bush - AND - Michael Moore. Who do I hate worse? I dunno.
Old 06-15-04, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think this would be a good double header .... F9/11 followed by MMHA. Too Bad F9/11 will probably be out of the theaters before this is ever released (and I'm not entirely sure this will ever reach the theaters ... no not a conspiracy theory).
Old 06-15-04, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by Groucho
I find it amusing that the same people who refuse to see Moore's documentaries because they are "biased" and because "documentaries are supposed to be objective" are lining up around the block to see this one.

I guess it's okay if the bias matches your own political viewpoint.
I guess the reason I'd be more apt to see this movie is that Penn Gillette and the filmmaker himself say that the movie is biased, but the creator says that he just wants to show a more optimistic picture about America. Also, from the trailer, he gave film time to people who like Michael Moore and allowed them to express why (granted, he may mock them later or something ... I don't know).

Michael Moore, on the other hand, displays his movie as God's honest truth and that no fact can ever be disputed or questioned (though he crusades for wanting to raise questions and discourse) lest you be labeled a conservinazi who hates the press and tries to supress "The Truth."

Of course you do have a point, Groucho, that if a movie fits your idealogical beliefs, you will be more likely to watch it and enjoy it ... that happens in any genre of film. If it makes any difference at all, I guess my liking of this film from the trailer comes down to attitude. This opinion could, of course, change as more about the film and director becomes known.

Last edited by silentbob007; 06-15-04 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-15-04, 09:04 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Moore doesn't present his films as "objective." They are cinematic essays, "editorials" if you will on how he feels about certain topics and why he feels that way.

And Wilson's film is a counterpoint to that, which is fine. But don't pretend that this guy is taking a higher road to Moore, both filmmakers are unabashedly using the medium to present a certain point of view.
Old 06-15-04, 09:46 AM
Suspended

I'm not going to see it, not from a misguided loyalty to Moore (although I do enjoy his work), but mostly because it looks BORING! Sheesh - what a bunch of crappy trailers.

Sorry, but you lose. No golden ticket for you.
Old 06-15-04, 11:02 AM
Suspended

I think it looks good. I'll see if it I get the chance.
Old 06-15-04, 11:20 AM

Like or dislike Moore, he makes alot of very good points, and I think it is blind foolishness to push aside his claims. Many of which are substantiated from many other places. It may not be the whole truth, but it is part of it, and whatever camp you find yourself in, I think it is important to see.

I'm willing to bet that the whole truth is much more nauseating than even Moore could dig up.

I'll be there to see this, as far as Moore goes, I really have no feelings for or against him. In the very least I suppose, he is trying to voice his opinion and open some eyes on his path to make money.
Old 06-15-04, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by rushmore223

I'll be there to see this, as far as Moore goes, I really have no feelings for or against him. In the very least I suppose, he is trying to voice his opinion and open some eyes on his path to make money.
i dont get the feeling from him. i think he knows there is a market in anti-establishment and he is exploiting it to make money. it's a selfish act that he plays off as if it were a helpful act. the only thing his movies do is breed ignorant hate and fear (something he identifies as a problem in America in bowling for c). its funny because there is truth in saying that many problems occur out of this hatered and fear but the way his movies are made only bring out more of it.

i know many people (particullary many high school kids that i teach) that take his movies as the facts...that is what most worries me about michael moore...no matter how good some of his points are he lies or tells half truths to prove them.
Old 06-15-04, 12:53 PM

I wish Moore would agree to talk to Wilson. It makes him look worse to not to, and he could probly easily hold his own by being honest and direct about his filmaking and beliefs. Although, I do understand his reluctance to be inteviewed for a film called "michael moore hates america".
Old 06-15-04, 12:57 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Michael Moore loves you. Michael Moore saves.
Old 06-15-04, 01:48 PM

Ugh, its going to be interesting to see how much you Bush supporters love Bush when you or your kids are drafted next summer and sent to their deaths. You people need to wake up.
Old 06-15-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by GmoneyOwnsYou
Ugh, its going to be interesting to see how much you Bush supporters love Bush when you or your kids are drafted next summer and sent to their deaths. You people need to wake up.
No, actually it is you who needs to wake up. I have family serving in Iraq right now. Do you?
Old 06-15-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
excuse me... one thing is certain. What if we were fighting right now in afghanistan still against the taliban and al queda. Would you have a problem with that? That was a war too and people were dieing for that too. Did anyone say anything?

War is war and America is too soft on the issue. People die everywhere like this and we cry about 2 or 3. Imagine 20 a day.

Sorry but Kerry voted for the war as well. So dont just blame Bush. Kerry is just as bad.
Old 06-15-04, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Now THIS is a film I can't WAIT to see!

I will be there opening day, and will definately get the DVD when it becomes available.
Old 06-15-04, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
Moore doesn't present his films as "objective." They are cinematic essays, "editorials" if you will on how he feels about certain topics and why he feels that way.

And Wilson's film is a counterpoint to that, which is fine. But don't pretend that this guy is taking a higher road to Moore, both filmmakers are unabashedly using the medium to present a certain point of view.
I'm not saying that Wilson doesn't have a bias ... just that he isn't advertising his film as unadultrated truth, which is different than being objective.
Old 06-15-04, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by GmoneyOwnsYou
a) Bush would have to be elected again.
b) The draft is always thrown around as a scare tactic about war/conflict ... talk about political suicide without substantial need.
Old 06-15-04, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by raven56706
excuse me... one thing is certain. What if we were fighting right now in afghanistan still against the taliban and al queda. Would you have a problem with that? That was a war too and people were dieing for that too. Did anyone say anything?
Do not confuse the war in Afghanistan as being the same as the war in Iraq. We went to Afghanistan to bring the terrorists responsible for the 9/11 attacks to justice. We invaded and occupied Iraq based on Bush's false (and since dissproven) allegations that Saddam possessed Weapons of Mass Destruction and is ON THE VERGE of launching a nuclear attack on US soil.
Old 06-15-04, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by RoboDad
No, actually it is you who needs to wake up. I have family serving in Iraq right now. Do you?
Many Britons fought in the Crusades hundreds of years ago to "cleanse" the world of the heathen Muslims. Do you support their cause as well?

Just because a soldier follows his orders and goes to Iraq, doesn't necessarily mean he/she believes in the war itself. And subsequently, the allegiance of that soldier's family members can be better represented by the family doing what they can (i.e. voting in the elections) to bring that soldier home. Speaking out against the war doesn't mean you're Un-Patriotic or that you don't honor and appreciate the our troops and veterans. In fact, it is the exact opposite, since the protestors don't believe that our soldiers / family are risking their lives for a worthy cause.
Old 06-15-04, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Giantrobo
One of the dvdtalkers around here has this site as his sig. I checked it out and I have to say I'm totally down with this guy's flick.

Moore makes me sick everytime I see his face and I hear his voice because he's such a low life scum bag. He has all these fools thinking he's some kind of "honest man interested in real America" and it's such garbage.

I posted it in my signature because there were 2 posters here supporting Moore in their signatures. I didn't think it was fair. Conservatives usually don't try to pimp themselves out every chance they get. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the movie. Funny this movie has already received funds to complete it and distribution rights.
Old 06-15-04, 05:04 PM

And lastly (sorry about the 3 separate posts)...

[rant]

Michael Moore's "documentaries" may not be completely unbiased and free of his own opinions, but what is? I agree with a previous poster who said that Michael Moore's works are more editorials and commentaries on what he has seen/discovered/experienced. If you don't agree with his viewpoints, that's fine. It's your right as an American to disagree. But don't dismiss Moore's arguments as falsehoods merely on the basis that they originated from him.

If you think about it, it is very difficult to write/film/present anything in a 100% completely unbiased manner for the simple fact that the authors/filmakers are human. Even journalists, whom the majority I believe do abide by high journalistic ethics to present the unbiased truth, sometimes can't help but present a somewhat skewed story. For how do you shut off the ability of forming an opinion? As always, the truth is out there, but it's usually a combination of what is presented from the two extremes. And if you agree that is the case, then how do you hope to find the truth if you completely dismiss anything from an opposing viewpoint?

[/rant]

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.