Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Farhenheit 9/11 given R; moore wants to appeal

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Farhenheit 9/11 given R; moore wants to appeal

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SInce I am over 20, I could care less about the ratings system since I can see anyting. However, I doubt some kid is going to watch this movie to get his facts straight about the war. Get the facts more even view of facts, not a one-sided axe-to-grind view wanna-be important director's view.
Old 06-15-04, 11:27 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by resinrats
However, I doubt some kid is going to watch this movie to get his facts straight about the war.
Are you kidding? Plenty of ADULTS will be getting their facts straight about the war from this.
Old 06-15-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Are you kidding? Plenty of ADULTS will be getting their facts straight about the war from this.
I think you meant to say, whatever Michael Moore WANTS them to think.
Old 06-15-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
While I like Moore, I don't think this movie needs a PG-13 as most of the audience for such rating would either not care and/or be bored to tears by the material presented. On top of that, they would most likely annoy those actually interested in the movie.
Old 06-15-04, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As opposed from straight from Fox News, or CNN, or the New York Times or Post. Getting your news from one source about anything ever is foolish.

As for the rating, I haven't seen the film and don't know how violent the content is, but I am all for showing mature kids realistic violence (context is imortant as well) so they might better understand the reprocusions violence actually can have in the real world.
Old 06-15-04, 01:14 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kudos to Michael Moore to taking a page from the Mel Gibson play book and using every possible controvery to get more publicity for his film. (And the real controversy is the MPAA, who knows better than you what you and your kids should watch.) I almost hope it keeps the R rating. That should interest more teens in seeing the film.
Old 06-15-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
And the real controversy is the MPAA, who knows better than you what you and your kids should watch.)
well that's like saying the toll booth is a controversy because who knows better then to take your money for using a road.

The MPAA was created by us to help rate the content of things. Remember, it's a suggested rating. You can be like me and not give a damn what the rating is.
Old 06-15-04, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You know, all this hatred for the MPAA. While I admit sometimes their ratings arent' exactly consistent, I think on a whole the MPAA does its job. Granted, when it comes to NC-17 type material the MPAA is sorely lacking, but let's keep in perspective what the ratings system is. An R rating is supposed to give you an idea about the content. It's supposed to let people know that the film has content that some might find objectionable for a youth. Now, I imagine this film probably does have some curse words and violence, and while probably not a hard R, still gets its rating. Youths can still go see the film. R is not prohibitive. And when it's out on DVD, even more youths can go see it.

Seriously, Moore, get over it. If they had slapped an NC-17 that'd be one thing, but just because you think your movie is important doesn't mean it should get a lower rating. While we all love to rag on Jack Valenti and crew, at least that man has some things striaght...like his opinions on the FCC and censorship. The real major flaw in the ratings system is a lack of working ratings for truly adult cinema. Beyond that, for the R and below categories, save for some fairly subjective differences on how things can be rated, I truly have no issue with how they rate things. Sure there's some politics behind it all, but overall the system has not in my opinion been that out of wack. I think we need to remember this is a suggested ratings system...and quite frankly almost any under 17 kid can get into an r rated movie pretty easily. For some reason though, I doubt many will go see this flick anyway.
Old 06-15-04, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't wait to see it. I HATE Bush!!!!!!!!
Old 06-16-04, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get over it Moore. You won't be able to corrupt the young minds of America.
Old 06-16-04, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think they should at least let older teens go and see the movie. Judging by what's in the trailer, there is information in this movie that should have been widely reported on the news, but wasn't.
It might teach the kids of today not to take what you see on the news as gospel, and that they should always have an open mind.
Old 06-16-04, 08:23 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Dean Kousoulas
I think you meant to say, whatever Michael Moore WANTS them to think.
That's what I meant, yes.