Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ronald Reagan Movie Marathon on TCM

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-09-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 77 Likes on 63 Posts

Turner Classic Movies will be running a 24+ hour marathon of the films of Ronald Reagan starting tomorrow morning.

Times are Eastern

8:00 am
Love Is On The Air (1937)
A crusading radio reporter takes on civic corruption. Ronald Reagan, June Travis, Eddie Acuff. Director: Nick Grinde. BW-59m

9:00 am
Accidents Will Happen (1938)
An insurance man tangles with a fraud ring. Ronald Reagan, Gloria Blondell, Dick Purcell. Director: William Clemens. BW-60m

10:15 am
Angels Wash Their Faces (1939)
A young delinquent defies his sister to join a tough street gang. Ann Sheridan, Ronald Reagan, The Dead End Kids. Director: Ray Enright. BW-86m

11:45 am
Tugboat Annie Sails Again (1940)
A veteran lady captain fights off competition. Marjorie Rambeau, Jane Wyman, Ronald Reagan. Director: Lewis Seiler. BW-77m

1:15 pm
Santa Fe Trail (1940)
Romantic rivals get caught in the battle to stop abolitionist John Brown. Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, Raymond Massey, Ronald Reagan. Director: Michael Curtiz. BW-110m

3:15 pm
One For The Book (1947)
A lovelorn actress shares her apartment with a lonely soldier. Eleanor Parker, Ronald Reagan, Eve Arden. Director: Irving Rapper. BW-103m

5:00 pm
Night Unto Night (1949)
A terminally ill scientist seeks comfort from a mentally disturbed widow. Ronald Reagan, Viveca Lindfors, Rosemary DeCamp. Director: Don Siegel. BW-85m

6:30 pm
Prisoner Of War (1954)
American GIs fight to survive inhuman treatment in a Korean POW camp. Ronald Reagan, Steve Forrest, Dewey Martin. Director: Andrew Marton. BW-81m

8:00 pm
Kings Row (1942)
Small town scandals inspire an idealistic young man to take up psychiatry. Ann Sheridan, Robert Cummings, Ronald Reagan. Director: Sam Wood. BW-127m

10:15 pm
Desperate Journey (1942)
American pilots stranded in Germany during World War II fight their way to freedom. Errol Flynn, Alan Hale, Ronald Reagan. Director: Raoul Walsh. BW-108m

12:15 am
Last Outpost, The (1951)
Brothers on opposite sides of the Civil War join forces to fight off marauding Indians. Ronald Reagan, Rhonda Fleming, Bill Williams. Director: Lewis R. Foster. C-89m

2:00 am
John Loves Mary (1949)
A World War II veteran's marriage of convenience threatens his real wedding plans. Ronald Reagan, Patricia Neal, Jack Carson. Director: David Butler. BW-96m

3:45 am
Angel From Texas, An (1940)
A pair of slick Broadway producers con a wealthy cowboy into backing their show. Eddie Albert, Rosemary Lane, Ronald Reagan. Director: Ray Enright. BW-69m

5:00 am
Sergeant Murphy (1938)
A lowly private becomes attached to a trained military horse. Ronald Reagan, Mary Maguire, Donald Crisp. Director: B. Reeves Eason. BW-57m

6:00 am
Hell's Kitchen (1939)
An ex-con tries to help a group of hardened juvenile delinquents. Ronald Reagan, Margaret Lindsay, The Dead End Kids. Director: Lewis Seiler, E.A. Dupont. BW-81m

7:30 am
Night Unto Night (1949)
A terminally ill scientist seeks comfort from a mentally disturbed widow. Ronald Reagan, Viveca Lindfors, Rosemary DeCamp. Director: Don Siegel. BW-85m
Old 06-09-04, 12:30 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1:15 pm
Santa Fe Trail (1940)
Romantic rivals get caught in the battle to stop abolitionist John Brown. Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, Raymond Massey, Ronald Reagan. Director: Michael Curtiz. BW-110m
Did I read that right? Are they trying to stop an abolitionist?
Old 06-09-04, 12:34 PM

Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by Pants
I've never seen the film, but I'm guessing it's the villains who are trying to stop John Brown.

I'm disappointed that they aren't showing Bedtime for Bonzo.
Old 06-09-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Pants
I haven't seen it either, but it sounds interesting since Reagan plays General Custer.

I'm disappointed that they won't be showing Knute Rockne. I'm guessing they couldn't get it or Bedtime for Bonzo on short notice.
Old 06-09-04, 12:49 PM

I saw Santa Fe Trail as a kid and loved it. I will be checking it out to see what I think of it now.
Old 06-09-04, 12:55 PM

Received 394 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally posted by Damfino
I'm disappointed that they won't be showing Knute Rockne. I'm guessing they couldn't get it or Bedtime for Bonzo on short notice.
ESPN Classic has been playing Knute Rockne off and on the last few days.
Old 06-09-04, 12:58 PM

Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts
I just looked up Santa Fe Trail on the IMDB. Turns out John Brown is the bad guy. Interesting.
Old 06-09-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
I just looked up Santa Fe Trail on the IMDB. Turns out John Brown is the bad guy. Interesting.
Me too. 1940 was a different time. I'm really interested now to see how this subject was handled in those politically incorrect times.
Old 06-09-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yup, John Brown is the bad guy in the movie.

I'm by no means an expert in regards to the history of the Civil War, but if I recall correctly John Brown - at the time (of the actual events, not when the movie was made) - was seen by many (if not most?) Americans as a violent extremist, perhaps even a terrorist by today's standards. He attacked Harper's Ferry - a government armory - to steal arms and munitions. In the film, Reagan, Errol Flynn and others are U.S. officers out to stop him. While a noble thought, bringing an end to slavery was not the primary cause of the Civil War. The war was fought to preserve the United States as a whole. Once the war was underway, I suppose that is when Brown achieved martyr status with the masses (for the masses in the North that is). He became a rallying point for the same army that killed him.

Yes, as seen from a modern vantage point the path taken by the film does seem curious (or even from the vantage point of when it was made (1940's), or maybe not given that the Civil Rights movement was still many years away). In a sense, I suppose that since the film dismisses 20/20 hindsight, it is historically accurate as a snapshot of the years prior to the Civil War. If I'm misinformed on the subject, I'd appreciate some enlightenment.

As for the rest of the movies in the marathon, "Desperate Journey" again with Errol Flynn and also Alan Hale Sr. (the Skipper's Dad) would be my favorite by far. "The Last Outpost" is a fun Western co-starring a former Tarzan - Bruce Bennett (aka Herman Brix), but I'd only recommend it for zealots of the Western genre like myself.
Old 06-09-04, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have always looked at John Brown as a bad guy,sure he was against slavery but he was much to extreme,kinda like the people who bomb abortion clinics,they think god is on there side and think that his law supercedes mankinds law and they can do anything they want
Old 06-09-04, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Although it's playing on other stations, I'm surprised by teh exclusion of Knute Rockne. Couldn't fit in just one more for the Gipper?